Not open for further replies.

jonraiker

vp of development
Team member
Aug 5, 2007
Florida
instagram.com
Poor old Jay...gets such a beating for doing what everybody else does:

Post his opinion on something that irks him.
What a beating "poor old Jay" took. Way worse than being labeled a thief in a mass mailing to hundreds or potentially thousands of subscribers.

It's not the fact that Jay posted his opinion on something that irked him that's causing magicians to become upset with him. Rather it's the manner in which he voiced those opinions - by publicly calling a fellow magician a "thief" and sending it out to your subscriber base before you know the full facts. I don't believe that is the most judicious manner of resolving questions or doubts, especially between leading creators in this industry.

...matches that are housed in a case made of a playing card.
LIT does not use matches that are housed in a case made of a playing cards. The method - I can verify because I have seen it - is entirely different. The revelation is entirely new, original, and innovative. I do respect Sankey as a creator and as an artist, but this effect is not the same in any way.

Jan 13, 2008
jonraiker said:
What a beating "poor old Jay" took. Way worse than being labeled a thief in a mass mailing to hundreds or potentially thousands of subscribers.
I'd rather be labeled a thief than to have an idea of mine go uncredited. Just a personal opinion, because I highly dislike being morally wronged. Way worse than being called names in my book.

A matchbook made out of a playing card is a pretty unique idea...for Sankey to not be credited when another such effect is created is morally wrong.

jonraiker

vp of development
Team member
Aug 5, 2007
Florida
instagram.com
cm763,

Edited my post a moment ago. Just thought I'd clear this up since you probably saw your post change a bit. As stated, LIT is an entirely new revelation and method.

Jan 13, 2008
Lit does not use matches that are housed in a case made of a playing cards. The method - I can verify because I have seen it - is entirely different. The revelation is entirely new, original, and innovative. I do respect Sankey as a creator and as an artist, but this effect is not the same in any way.
Looking back at the David Blaine handling, the matchbook ended up "turning into" the chosen card (folded up to look like the matchbook). So you're absolutely right, there are no actual matches inside of the card. But really, the idea is still pretty similar--to say it's "not the same in any way" is a bit of a stretch. The concept (book of matches ends up being a card revelation) is indeed similar. The exact mechanics are different, of course, but the idea/concept is still pretty similar.

With that said, I do respect Hauss as an artist, and do still plan to get Lit. But that doesn't take away from the fact that the idea/concept of the effects is similar, despite the method/exact revelation being different.

Also, thank you for informing me as to why my post was changed. :)

jonraiker

vp of development
Team member
Aug 5, 2007
Florida
instagram.com
I do respect Sankey as a creator and as an artist. That said, I do have full knowledge of both LIT and Sankey's effect and know them to be entirely different in presentation and method. For that reason, and especially in consideration that all parties involved are respected creators in this industry, I do believe it is most judicious not to jump to conclusions or take sides without full knowledge of both effects.

While opinions have been shared and voiced on both sides, I think we can all agree that this is a matter that should best be resolved in private and - as such - I'm closing the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results