Dan Sperry : Masters of Illusion - Tonight - 9:00pm EST

Jan 13, 2008
I'm kind of glad Sperry wasn't on tonight, as it was the gold medal game of the World Juniors tonight (Canada won, yay!), and there was no way I was going to miss that.

But yeah, I'm just hoping it airs here. If not...then blah, heh.

Okay... not to be a prick.. but before the show even started I replied here saying Sperry wouldn't be on this week... Then again after the show.. but people still haven't read it...

Aaanyway. The show was quite good. That bubble routine was so damn original... I thought that (insert name here) and Ginger had a good act, but played it waaay to long. Its good to extend a routine, but I began to lose interest and then there was no big surprise to the routine.

I always love Jonathan and Tanya, but they are very out of place when they have to clean up the act for TV.

I thought Bavil (Sp?) had a great idea there, albeit a little too audience intelligence insulting for me. "I'm going to die..." No, you're not. If someone believes that, great. But leave it to interpretation. My opinion anyway. '

Krystyn's 3 card monte was honestly just pathetic... She seemed like someone just taught her that trick 20 minutes ago and gave her a camera.

All in all, a good show. Great to see they are willing to give magic a hand by replacing Valentino's bull with some good magic.

C

Does that krystyn girl have any performance videos anywhere else?

Krystyn Lambert,
You can probably find her on youtube, she won best teen magician 2 years ago, David Boyd won it last year (He will also be performing at Manhattan Magic soon so if your in the nyc area i would definately check it out, i love his act and hes a great guy just to hang with).
But yea back to Krystyn, she won best teen magician 2 years ago and has some great stage stuff, her close-up stuff isnt going to really blow you away but her stage is great.

Jun 10, 2008
You little stalker!
Honestly i thought it was pretty good. I love Tony Clark's manipulation and Jeff Mcbride's illumination act. THe only ones i didn't like was the heart stop one, Jonathan, and Farrel Dillon's routine

The pulse stop seems pretty pointless but i think other peopl have already covered that.

The amazing jonathan thing was torture to go through. I mean, what so entertaining about a guy stabbing a needle through a spectator's cheek?

Farrel Dillon should have stuck to the card manipulation. His rope routine wasn't the best. What he did was when he pulled off the ends of the rope he opened up the rope and people saw it was one short peice. I mean it doesn't make any sense, you pull the ends off but the end fuse together? thats why for my Fiber Optics i never show the ends completely. Thanks to richard sanders for that tip.

Anyways, the rest were good and i'm looking forward to seeing Sperry on the next show.

Sep 1, 2007
Leicester, UK
www.youtube.com
The amazing jonathan thing was torture to go through. I mean, what so entertaining about a guy stabbing a needle through a spectator's cheek

I know this isn't the best argument in the world, but what's so entertaining about making a card come to the top?

It's all about how it's presented, I didn't see the show so I can't make a proper post on the rest of it, but if it was presented in a good way and people were screaming and cringing and stuff, isn't that what entertainment's all about in the magic world these days?

- Sean

Jun 10, 2008
You little stalker!
I know this isn't the best argument in the world, but what's so entertaining about making a card come to the top?

It's all about how it's presented, I didn't see the show so I can't make a proper post on the rest of it, but if it was presented in a good way and people were screaming and cringing and stuff, isn't that what entertainment's all about in the magic world these days?

- Sean

Well Jonathan was like a laid back guy who looked like he would rather watch TV then be there. There was also this over hyped lady i think her name was Tonya. He invites a spectator to the stage and pulls out a giant needle. He says he will stick the needl through the spectator's cheek without her feeling anything. But the spectator was moaning and groaning and saying "ow!" all the way. And Jonathan was just like "Don't worry, let me just stick it... in.... there..." And the the spectator goes "You're crazy!!" and walks off the stage with the needle stuck through her cheek and in her mouth. And then it just ends

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 30, 2007
The Amazing Johnathan is well...er...amazing! Honestly that performance last night wasn't good at all for him (in my opinion). He does magic for older teens and adults. The children in the crowd completely limited him (just like it did on The World Magic Awards this year). He is an amazing performer that should not be judged on last night's performance.

P.S. As for Krystin or Kristen she had a terrible act in my opinion as well as Guy Bavli. I was very unimpressed by them. Kalin and Jinger did a great job though!

Well Jonathan was like a laid back guy who looked like he would rather watch TV then be there. There was also thing over hyped lady i think her name was Tonya. He invites a spectator to the stage and pulls out a giant needle. He says he will stick the needl through the spectator's cheek without her feeling anything. But the spectator was moaing and groaning and saying "ow!" all the way. And Jonathan was just like "Don't worry, let me just stick it... in.... there..." And the the spectator goes "You're crazy!!" and walks off the stage with the needle stuck through her cheek and in her mouth. And then it just ends

Jonathan is always terrible when taken out of context and his realm. When you see his show or his specials he is absolutely hilarious... But when he has to tone it down for TV nothing sells right. I also think that because of the nature of his act he seems out of place on a illusion show. His act is something that needs to have its own vibe and context, which is totally lost when it is put inside another show.

C

Oct 11, 2007
Jon, Dan will be on the 2'nd episode airing Jan. 12'th.

Should be a great show tonight, though!

C

Yeah, I was gonna say that Dan said in another thread that he was going to be on the second episode. It was still a great episode with some card manipulation thrown in at the end too! My favorite was definitely that. Or Jeff McBride's light performance.

Sep 1, 2007
Yea, about Jonathan, if you want to see what hes really about go see his show in Vegas. I was lucky to go there and see him the first night and it was amazing (ha get it!). The performance last night was nothing like what he usually does and it looks bad out of context.

Nov 30, 2007
Yea, about Jonathan, if you want to see what hes really about go see his show in Vegas. I was lucky to go there and see him the first night and it was amazing (ha get it!). The performance last night was nothing like what he usually does and it looks bad out of context.

You can also see him on Comedy Central specials. Probably not as good as the live show but still...

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results