Daniel Garcia: His view on his latest E release.

Sep 1, 2007
Porthcawl, Wales.
I started a new thread on this, as i feel it's not so much about his 3 effects that are coming out but more to do with his dealings with E.

At the Cafe, this is what Danny has said

"Hey Guys... I don't post on the Café often any more... but just thought I could come one and clear some MISLEADING things up...

These effect were actually shot 2 YEARS ago... and are just now being released.

As far as the "3 pieces of classic garcia" line that is being used in the ad copy that ellusionist sent out... that is UNTRUE

There is only 2 pieces that I have been doing for years and that I still LOVE performing , BENT and SLINK(which should have been changed to CrossLink)

BENT - this is the same coin effect that I sent a few demo videos out to some of you 2-3 years ago.. it is a straight forward effect that I still LOVE performing.

SLINK - this is another effect done with rubberbands that I sent a few of you demo's too about 2 - 3 years ago as well. Ben Harris contacted me, and informed me that he was selling an effect named SLINK... I told Ben that I would contact Ellusionist and have this taken care of, out of respect for him. I then called Brad from Ellusionist and asked him to change the name to CrossLink, he told me it would be taken care of... then a year later I get a call from a friend of mine saying that he got an email announcing a new dvd coming out from ME .. I was shocked because I knew NOTHING about it. I then saw the name SLINK and WAS NOT HAPPY... I was lied too. As far as the effect .. I LOVE the effect and it is one of the effects that I perform on a DAILY BASIS when I'm out.

TOUCH - THIS NEEDS TO BE CLEARED - The other effect "Touch" was created when I went out to San Francisco 2 years ago to film... Brad asked me if I could do an effect, so I showed him how I would do it... he then really wanted to shoot it, so I did ... but it is in NO WAY "Classic Garcia" and to be completely honest with you, I have not performed TOUCH since we shot it 2 years ago... just not my style, and I kinda feel silly that I got persuaded into filming it.

I just thought I would come on and clear up a few things because I am TIRED of the community being MISLEAD.

All the best,
Daniel Garcia"

Interesting stuff eh? Lets not turn this into an E bashing thread lets talk about how you would feel if you were in his scenario and what would you do?

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 23, 2007
NC
I have not read the thread at the Cafe yet but I'm kind of surprised that Danny threw that out there. It seems those are professional business issues that should have been dealt with privately.

As far as his beef with the "3 pieces of classic Garcia" line that E is using and the Touch effect that’s his fault. He took the money for it and he agreed to film it under contract. If he feels it’s just not his style then he shouldn’t have.
Coming back now and saying that he doesn’t use it wont change the fact that his name is on it. He should have considered that before hand. It sounds like their relationship might have some issues.

The issue with Slink, it sounds like he tried to do the right thing. If E didn’t and they didn’t work it out with Ben than of course they are wrong and should be called out on it.

I'm glad he said he is “Tired of the community being Mislead”. So am I and I have zero tolerance for this anymore. Magicians ripping of other magicians is wrong and they should just be cut off. Period. No excuses. I think that was more prevalent in the past as now we are trying to further the art more as a whole, but it still goes on.

As far as Barnes question how I would feel and what I would do in this scenario? I would handle it privately with E and if it couldn’t be resolved I would terminate the relationship.

Sep 1, 2007
Porthcawl, Wales.
I have not read the thread at the Cafe yet but I'm kind of surprised that Danny threw that out there. It seems those are professional business issues that should have been dealt with privately.

As far as his beef with the "3 pieces of classic Garcia" line that E is using and the Touch effect that’s his fault. He took the money for it and he agreed to film it under contract. If he feels it’s just not his style then he shouldn’t have.
Coming back now and saying that he doesn’t use it wont change the fact that his name is on it. He should have considered that before hand. It sounds like their relationship might have some issues.

The issue with Slink, it sounds like he tried to do the right thing. If E didn’t and they didn’t work it out with Ben than of course they are wrong and should be called out on it.

I'm glad he said he is “Tired of the community being Mislead”. So am I and I have zero tolerance for this anymore. Magicians ripping of other magicians is wrong and they should just be cut off. Period. No excuses. I think that was more prevalent in the past as now we are trying to further the art more as a whole, but it still goes on.

As far as Barnes question how I would feel and what I would do in this scenario? I would handle it privately with E and if it couldn’t be resolved I would terminate the relationship.

Great post Flyspazz.

Lloyd

Sep 2, 2007
This just backs up my theory, that onmce you're in with E (Released 2+ effects) you could work on something for a week and get it released (like touch in this case)

Sep 1, 2007
Is it really necessary to air one's dirty laundry over this?

I don't know. The whole affair has an air of pettiness about it.

Sep 1, 2007
Porthcawl, Wales.
which is why i found it strange that he'd do something like that. ah well, the dudes got a broken foot and nothing to do at home.

Haha, good point.

But still, they are his views and I guess he doesn't want people to think that this release with E has been all smiles and hugs, if you get me.

I mean, if you had these issues pent up over 2 years I supposed you would want to voice them.

Sep 1, 2007
Is it really necessary to air one's dirty laundry over this?

I don't know. The whole affair has an air of pettiness about it.
Most of the stuff like namechanging is very petty. But knowing that Touch was created in a few hours/days has made me lost some interest in it.

In this situation 'not my style' is usually a way of saying 'sucks'.

Sep 1, 2007
Porthcawl, Wales.
BTW I also posted this thread up on the E forums, but it was very promptly taken down, however, in their defense they have said they are reviewing it and it could go back up soon.

Sep 1, 2007
Danny seems like a wonderful guy. From a business perspective too though - image is business. And if he felt genuinely wronged by it, which I'm sure he did - fine by me.

Yeah, but he signed a release. I know it's tough, but this is something I would have kept subtle and quiet. It's not like one mediocre review is going to destroy a lifetime reputation.

As I said, I'm not really a fan of airing one's dirty laundry. Personal politics should be kept between the parties involved.

Nov 23, 2007
NC
I agree, this isnt going to hurt his rep. Everyone knows he is very talented.
Also, when is the last time you got a DVD and loved everything on it? There is always one or two you know dont fit you.

That said, if they know its crap they shouldnt include it. Maybe its not. Maybe he is just not happy with it.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results