Daniel Garcia's one handed coin vanish

Feb 6, 2009
Hi all,
I was wondering is the one handed coin vanish Danny Garcia uses in the trick bad habit (project 2) commercially available? I have no idea if it's his move or someone elses but it's an extremely pretty coin vanish nonetheless.

Thanks for your time:)

Apr 27, 2008
Norway
Just goes to show how good misdirection is ;)

If I'm not mistaken (I haven't watched it in a while) I remember it being a little spin on a classic vanish.

Gustav

Feb 6, 2009
I know its not the JW grip and can see where the coin is hidden, I just wondered if the full vanish and retrevial is taught anywhere :)

Without exposing anything without any great detail; he uses a variation on the back clip and using a kind of coin roll action for the loading part.
Not sure if that helps at all but by watching the video and experimenting a little with it, I found it to be the closest to the idea.

-Joey

Jun 10, 2008
You little stalker!
It's called a Goshman Pinch. Similar to the Tenkai Pinch how ever you use a back palm approach for getting the coin in there. I suggest you check out Jay Sankey's Revolutionary Coin Magic, where he teaches several tricks and changes using the Goshman pinch.

Feb 6, 2009
It's not the goshman pinch, that's a completely different display of the hand.

I think your closest to it AverageJoe as I've been playing with a similar handling and that seems roughly right. I just wish there was a proper resource for learning it properly rather then cack handed lol

This was discussed very well and heavily in the following thread.

http://forums.theory11.com/showthread.php?t=1157

To give you a short version, the move is a vanish and grip than Danny created way back when and put on the project in that context to have a reference point as to its creation. Independently, Eric Jones created and published his Imagination Grip that is, essentially, the same move. From what I understand Danny and Eric have agreed that their moves were created independently of one another around a similar time period.

C

Feb 6, 2009
Thanks for all the help guys:)

Where is the imagination grip published? I've had a look and can't find a source:confused:

Sep 24, 2007
I think you can find it in a set of old lecture notes of his. Probably "Blueprints," but I don't recall as I've taken a sabbatical from coin-magic and shifted over to mentalism.

Jul 8, 2008
It's NOT lol. Eric and I are close friends. He told me one time that ERIC came up with the imagination production/grip, and worked with Danny on it, which later came to the decision to make a full DVD out of it, but they found out that some Japanese guy stole it from them and Danny tried to sue. It looked a lot like something Downs would do, but then again, his talent was a little exagerated so who knows...

There is SOME truth to what True2coins stated. Danny and I had a conversation about the grip in question. Danny stated that he originated the grip several years before the download I made available came out. I told him that I didn't claim originality to the grip itself, but rather to the work utilizing the grip. I then explained that I did my research and the first time the effect was in print to the best of my knowledge was in a hard to find manuscript by Jeff White. White credits Richard O'Farrell for the creation of the grip under debate in an effect known as "The Hardest Damn Trick In The Book".

Danny and I were both livid to find another magician blatently used some of Danny's work without crediting him on a DVD release that received pretty bad reviews. Danny and I even discussed the possibility of putting our collective work on the grip out on a DVD, but nothing has materialized to date. I've never had plans to sue the creator of XoR and I though I can't speak for Mr. Garcia, I don't think he intends to either.

For those who are interested in some people who have work on the grip, I would first suggest you search for work by Richard O'Farrell or Jeff White. From what I understand, both magicians are alive and well, and some research should provide beneficial. Dan Garrett also credits Richard O'Farrell for the grip in his excellent routine American Ninja Spellbound. Incidently, I had an opportunity to session w/ Dan Garrett a few weeks ago in NY, and the routine looks amazing. It's one of the most beautiful spellbound routines i've ever seen. Then of course you can look forward to releases by myself on the grip in the near future, and I certainly hope to see Danny's work on it out as well. He's done some great things w/ the concealment that I think would be worth trying.

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 6, 2009
Thanks very much everyone for all your responses, it's a shame there's not a reputable source on the grip but it's something to look forward too.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results