Dealing with angles

Feb 17, 2009
Bethlehem PA
Hey, I love to perform coin magic for people but the only problem is im always worried about angles. Say im sitting in a room and theres somebody seated mabey 4 or 5 feet in front of me and then another person seated to my left. If I wanted to do the Harada hold it would be exposed right away, or say i wanted to do Sanky's Mr.Clean coin across the person on my left would see everything. So my thoughts on coin magic are that it is best suited for 1on1. You and the spectator. Am I right or wrong. unless you were standing on a stage or something with the whole audience in front of you.

Jun 10, 2008
You little stalker!
I dont do much coin magic but i'll share with you my angel fixes with cards.

I often do a variation of Sloppy Shuffle Triumph in which at one point, the selection is overhand shuffled to the bottom. Of course, i'm usually surrounded when i do this (that's just how good i am) and my only good angle is behind me. So the people on my right would see the selected card going to the bottom. What i do is turn my body to the right, showing everyone the front of the deck, just for that moment, then i turn right back around.

So when you have an angly part, simply turn so everyone is at the covered angle. And then turn right back around. Though it may seem unatrual, i've never been called out on this, and i use this technique all the time, to cover a pinky break, a pass, a double lift, everything.

Hope that helps!

Sep 1, 2007
Calgary
www.hermitmagic.com
"Of course, i'm usually surrounded when i do this (that's just how good i am)"

I've heard the greatest busker alive today (you know who) say the line "If you don't want to see how it's done, stand over here [he points]. If you want to see how it's done, then stand behind me- with your heads up your @_ _ es!... c'mon, move it, make room,..." etc.

That's just how good he is.

IllusiveCoinMan,

The solution is simple. Select routines that work for the angles you HAVE. No one wants to see a magician turning right left and backwards so that they can do a coin effect. The magic should look clean and fair, and for that to happen- your torso should be relatively head-on.

Coin magic DOES tend to be kind of one on one, but even for groups. When I work a group larger than three or four, I'll single someone out, stand next to them, and basically just perform for them, with everyone watching. You have to watch the angles for the room you're in, but the single spectator's reactions will spur on the reactions of everyone else. (Make sure everyone can see the magic, though).

Basically, if you can't do backclips because everyone is seated- don't. Just work from Downs, Finger, or Classic Palms.

Scott.

Aug 19, 2008
it kind of depends on the coin tricks that u do for example if ur doing a coin to breast pocket vanish, the person to ur left (or right depending on right-hand or left-hand) might see it. all u have to do is draw attention to where the coin should b. i have shaken peoples hands with a coin in classic palm and they noticed absolutly nothing. so, like most professional magicians would say, u just have to believe that the coin is where it really isn't (if that makes sense)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results