Deck Flip Q

Jun 24, 2008
Harrisonburg, VA
I've been doing the deck flip for about a day now and I have a simple question about it.

When doing the deck flip, is it common for 1-5 cards to stray from the deck during the flip? I would say I lose at least 1 card each time I do it, which seems like something that would be natural when you start out but I'm just double checking.

Dec 23, 2007
Fredonia, NY
I've been doing the deck flip for about a day now and I have a simple question about it.

When doing the deck flip, is it common for 1-5 cards to stray from the deck during the flip? I would say I lose at least 1 card each time I do it, which seems like something that would be natural when you start out but I'm just double checking.

i have a similar problem, one thing that i have found that helps is doing it the end of other moves. when i try and just do the DF i tend to carefully position my fingers and everything and in doing this pull the top card a little bit which loosen's it from the pack so it doesn't stay with the rest when its flipping. By just doing it at the end of a sybil or something it forces me to just do it and they all stay together. By practicing this enough i have learned to just do the Deck flip and it has cut down a lot on that one card problem

Jun 24, 2008
Harrisonburg, VA
I'm glad to see that this isn't just my problem. I figured it was something that everyone experiences at some point or another during this move but I questioned it because I wasn't sure how I could go about fixing it. Thanks.

I have the same problem. it sucks! ! or 2 cards flip off the deck ALL the time.

I emailed TG Murphy himself about this problem and this was his response to me, hopefully it can help you out. Im still working on it....

" Hey Pete,

Having helped many people with this let me take an educated guess as to your problem area.

Often, the problem is in the release of the packet or deck.

The release must be clean, smooth and sharp. Do not throw or toss the deck.

In other words, do not have the finger(s) slowly release the packet or deck.

If you are using a two or three finger release try using only one.

Eventually, most beginners end up using only two or one finger release anyway.

Also, I do not recommend a new or slick deck for beginners as this only magnifies some of the beginner’s problems.

Instead, try using a worn or used deck that does not have any bent cards and it may be helpful to have the deck slightly concaved.

Make sure the deck is cohesive and together when it is squared.

Try doing the Deck Flip with the entire deck first before attempting any of the other variations which require a slightly different feel to it.

When personally teaching the Deck Flip to others, I have discovered that it only takes several minutes to master it. So let me add that if you are still having difficulties either send a video to this message board of your Deck Flip for further specific suggestions. But first, try this, place the deck into the card case and try the Deck Flip again. By using the card case, I think you might resolve your own dilemma.

Finally, the flipping or rotating of the deck is very important, but, when starting out so is the left hand once the deck is in midair to correct any problem with the flip. What I mean by this is by moving the left hand downward while the deck is in the air will allow the deck more time to flip or by moving the left hand upward will allow the deck not to over rotate because the flip was too fast. Likewise, just like catching a ball that was tossed in the air, the left hand may have to move to the right or left in the beginning to catch the flipping deck. But, once the flip is mastered, then, the left hand rarely needs to make these adjustments.

I hope you get my Deck Flip down pat as I am writing another book that has many new sleights and flourishes using the Deck Flip as a prerequisite.

Good luck!

Imagicatively yours,

T. G. Murphy"

Hope that helps!
p:m

Jun 24, 2008
Harrisonburg, VA
Just an update on the issue. Those of you that had the same issue as me... Simply continue to practice it. It still happens from time to time but not nearly as much as it did and I'm sure before too long it wont happen at all. :)

Apr 15, 2008
I'm glad to see that this isn't just my problem. I figured it was something that everyone experiences at some point or another during this move but I questioned it because I wasn't sure how I could go about fixing it. Thanks.

I was about to start a thread on this until I saw this one. The responses have been great. I always lose the bottom card when I do it. I was getting pretty frustrated with it. Ill try what people have said and let you guys know how it goes!

Jun 10, 2008
Keene, TX
Give the cards a squeeze before flipping them.
This lessens the amount of air that is between them and helps them stay together in the air.
It works for me.

Sep 1, 2007
San Francisco, CA
This used to happen to me a lot, and it happening on my other hand because I'm trying to get it in both hands. One thing I noticed has helped is beveling the deck away from your thumb. If you do this very slightly, nothing will fall.

Also, a quick flick gives you a very tight spin, which will in turn keep cards from falling It's all a matter of finger positioning, speed, and practice.

David

Jan 31, 2008
Face it. It's epic fail for you, might as well find another thread to troll.

Wow. You can just search it your self, type in "deck flip" in the search box because apparently it doesn't like to work for me when I link it (even though when I click on the link it does....) strange.... aiight I'll just stop being a smartass and give you some straight advice (although I'll probably just be reiterating what everybody else has said) ....

1. Use fanning powder
2. Don't try with brand new decks
3. Try varying the force and speed you flip the deck with
4. Use a deck without bent, warped cards (especially the cards on the top)
5. Squeeze deck before flip to get rid of any air in between cards
6. Practice doing half flips before doing full flips, this'll give you a feel as to hard you should flip the deck
7. Try using a deck that is slightly concave (this is different from tip #4. You want the whole deck concave, not just 1 card out of the whole deck)
8. Search for topics yourself....

Sep 1, 2007
another problem is that theory11 n00bs try a move like 3 times and fail, then they make posts "why can't I do this move?"

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results