Deck Production

Aug 18, 2008
Does anybody know a good deck production, for a stage routine, i mean just showing hands empty and than doing some move and bam you have the deck of cards in the box? I have David Stone's The Real Secrets of Magic Vol. 1 and there are some productions, but it is with flash paper and requires a candle out in front, should i adapt that by having my volunteer hold a lighter or should i get a simpler one, which i think would probably be better?

Jul 16, 2008
try john carreys book the name escapes me but i think its on dan and dave site i think the trick is poor mans deck manupaltion could be wrong

Dec 23, 2007
Fredonia, NY
well, you could do several things, for one, you could adapt the production to not inlcude flash paper, flash paper is just a form of misdirection, you can use another type. Another option would be to include some sort of flame in your act whether that be a candle on stage, a spec with a lighter of something else. there are also certain props for a one handled light that leaves you clean, a think one is called a flint something or another, a friend of mine has a method using just his two fingers and snapping with the proper setup. if you can light a match one handed that would work too. another method i like is, most flash paper doesn't actually require a flame to touch it, just be close enough to heat it up to ignite, as such a match that has just been blown out can still light some flash paper. that gives you the option of lighting a match, blowing it out, using it to ignite the FP and do the production. with some creative lighting and the proper timing that might work. think about it, lights go out just as you blow out the match and come back on just in time for everyone to see a deck at your fingertips.

Aug 18, 2008
Thank you for the suggestions, even though I will be on a stage, it is only a platform wood temporary stage in my school cafeteria, so I can not manipulate lighting as on a normal stage. And because i am not the only act, i can't really put a candle with table into my set either. What would be way with out flash paper, i could throw something up in the air, but it would not make sense, plus i am not sure what would even make sense.

Dec 23, 2007
Fredonia, NY
i have two suggestions. you could use a silk for the production much like stone's "bite me" trick, what i tend to do for a deck production is end a coin routine with it. I will go through a coin routine of my own making, at the very end i will do a coin transfer to the deck. its essentially the same move as the ending of stone's "one coin" routine except with a deck not a jumbo coin. that should work for your needs.

Sep 3, 2007
Thank you for the suggestions, even though I will be on a stage, it is only a platform wood temporary stage in my school cafeteria, so I can not manipulate lighting as on a normal stage. And because i am not the only act, i can't really put a candle with table into my set either. What would be way with out flash paper, i could throw something up in the air, but it would not make sense, plus i am not sure what would even make sense.

I think I remember Stone in vol1. saying something like he had apparatus up his sleeves to shoot a deck out into his hand. That would be cool. On stage it would be tough to do a deck production since many would think that you just pulled it out from somewhere else. The sudden deck idea is very good, I don't have it either but you can't go wrong with Regal.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results