Deck Test Update

Jan 6, 2008
Seattle
www.darklock.com
One question, though - what the HECK did you do to decks of Ghosts, Tallys, and Guardians to make them wear out within a WEEK!?!?

As it turns out, being a spoiled rich jackass.

When most people use a deck of cards, it goes through four stages. First is "fresh", when they just come out of the pack. Then they become "new", which is after you've worked them a little, but they still feel crisp and solid and new. And then they enter an awkward stage, where they aren't new, but they haven't yet become "broken in".

Since I've spent most of my adult years not being particularly worried about the price of a deck of cards, when my cards hit that awkward stage, I normally say "these cards are worn out" and buy a new deck.

Because I'm a spoiled rich jackass.

When I got my deck of Wynns, they lasted two days, then hit that awkward stage. So I was out of new decks of cards, and I missed my Guardians, so I picked them back up and worked them through the awkward stage until they actually became broken in.

And then the light went on in my admittedly less-than-swift head.

So I picked up a deck of plain old Bicycles, and worked them through the awkward stage until they were broken in. And that's when I started kicking myself.

None of these decks are really worn out. I'm just a spoiled rich jackass who has never had to use the same deck of cards long enough to get them broken in. So there are a bunch of updates coming as to how long it takes each of these decks to get broken in, and how they compare afterward. Guardians took me the better part of a day; standard Bicycles somewhat less.

I expect that once a deck is broken in, it should last months. I suspect that Tigers and Vipers have a very short break-in period... and that Masters, 1800 and Ghost decks have a similar break-in period, but get there faster. I've unfairly criticised these decks for reaching that awkward stage before standard Bicycles, when those who prefer their cards fully broken in would actually consider that a positive quality - especially if the awkward stage also lasts less time than a normal deck of 808s.

And yes, I do feel like a real idiot. I may have been using cards for three decades, but doing things wrong for thirty years doesn't make them any less wrong.

Thats funny to hear you say that, cause as I was reading through this thread I was thinking how Im not particularly fond of a brand new deck of cards and I prefer them to be a little sloppy in a way (not sure if thats the best word, but you know what I mean). Good news for you though, now that youve discovered this break in period you should have enough cards to last you a year.

Edit: I guess a better word would be flexible, not quite so crisp, but to where they still square up good.

Jan 6, 2008
Seattle
www.darklock.com
you should have enough cards to last you a year.

Longer. Fifteen decks, and I figure each should last at least two months once they're broken in... that's two and a half years.

But I'm still ordering a brick of Guardians this weekend, because knowing I'm a spoiled rich jackass doesn't make me any less of one. ;p

I'm wondering if Bees ever go through that awkward stage. Maybe they just come out of the gate fully broken in; that may be why I hate them so much.

Jan 6, 2008
Seattle
www.darklock.com
Damn you go through decks fast haha, I alternate my decks in my porper clip and in use and they last for years

I've been thinking about ways to make a deck of cards last longer, more as a research project than anything else... and I have been hypothesising that if I kept my decks in a card press (warning: obnoxious audio on web page, mute speakers) and stored them in a little box with some Silica-Gel or similar desiccant, they might last effectively forever.

But that's a whole 'nother subject.

Oct 12, 2007
Orlando Fl
You guys are all spoiled, I've been using the same regular Bike Deck for about 1 and a half months, it doesn't fan perfectly but if I pressure fan it, it's a decent fan. Also in my local shopping center I can get a brick of bikes for about $15, cheaper than anywhere online.

Feb 3, 2008
Raleigh, NC
I've been thinking about ways to make a deck of cards last longer, more as a research project than anything else... and I have been hypothesising that if I kept my decks in a card press (warning: obnoxious audio on web page, mute speakers) and stored them in a little box with some Silica-Gel or similar desiccant, they might last effectively forever.

But that's a whole 'nother subject.

If you get that card press, let me know how good it is. Might be a cool thing to have.

-Cyrus

Jan 27, 2008
CDark, would you mind showing us how exactly you break-in your decks? I read somewhere you we're explaining that you broke-in each card individually using a flourish that you invented. Mind showing us on video?

And, does the Guardian deck only lasts four days of NORMAL use or by using that flourish over and over again?

..:Z:..

Jan 3, 2008
Well, the damn things keep dropping branches on power lines out here. They piss me off. We clearly have too many of them anyway.

LOL that's just too funny! :D Well I normally try to be a little conservative whenever I can, but when it comes to something like playing cards, I just really don't care that much knowing how much use I'm gonna get out of them. Unlike a tissue where you blow your nose for a whole 10 seconds and then throw it away. :p

Oct 12, 2007
Orlando Fl
LOL that's just too funny! :D Well I normally try to be a little conservative whenever I can, but when it comes to something like playing cards, I just really don't care that much knowing how much use I'm gonna get out of them. Unlike a tissue where you blow your nose for a whole 10 seconds and then throw it away. :p

That's why you fold the tissue so it's clean for multiple blowings :).

CDarlock you should cut down the trees by the power lines, and replant them somewhere else, PS I'd never do that, that's only if you are that annoyed with it.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results