Definition for "routine"

Aug 7, 2023
What does and doesn't "routine" refer to. I've seen it used to mean a themed ordered collection of effects (i.e. a gambling routine), but also to "a single cohesive effect with multiple moments" (i.e. ambitious card routine). The literal meaning of the word ("these are my morning routines") implies that it's just an effect that you've practiced, and that is routine (as supposed to something improvised). Also, is there a word for effects that aren't also routines?

JoshL8

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2017
WA state USA
While there is no concrete definition of routine, in many magic books there are these definitions; An effect is something that happens, like the card appeared on top of the deck. A trick can be made up of one or more effects, an ambitious card repeatedly appeared on top of the deck. A routine is a series of related tricks...like your example of gambling tricks making up a routine.

The reason the card rose to the top might be the reason a second trick works too; the ropes are now the same length or how the cube now solves itself. The ambitious theme connecting the tricks makes it a routine in this example.

So an ambitious card is usually a trick in most instances. Whether it can be a routine is not always solid and can be up for debate…but I largely try to avoid semantic arguments as long as I understand what someone means.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results