Deflecting Thoughts and False Memories. Essay #10 by JDG

Jamie D. Grant

theory11 columnist
Oct 12, 2008
Vancouver
www.cardsinabottle.com
So you've just been asked to show someone something (how's that for alliteration in an opening sentence!) and, after proper magical skilling (I think I just made that word up), they are a melting pool of wonder. They scream with joy for about ten seconds...and then?

"Hmmm...wait a minute...if I picked the three of spades, and then Jamie produced the tobaggan, then that must have meant that the seeing eye dog was in on it the entire time! Ha! I figured it out!"

#Winning quickly turns into #Fail. So how can we combat this? What can we do to immediately deflect a spectators thought process?

Do we:

A) Show them another trick.
B) Pray.

or,

C) Ask them a question about themselves.

Well, I'll tell you what I do (and be rest assured I've tried all three!). No matter where, when, how, or why I perform magic for someone; I will immediately ask someone a question after the Wonder Peak. Basically, it'll look like this:

ME: You're thinking of a Snow blower, aren't you?

THEM: OMG! HOW DID YOU KNOW THAT?! AND...OMG WHERE DID THIS SNOW BLOWER COME FROM?!...I"M SO HAPPY!"

ME: (pause)

THEM: "I'M STILL SO HAPPY AND CAN"T BELIEVE THERE'S A SNOW BLOWER IN MY CAR!...Whew!...Wait a min..."

ME: "Hey, where did you say you've seen me perform before? Was it a Ricky's?"

THEM: (wondering to themselves) "Was it at Ricky's? Let me think..."

This is my procedure 100% of the time. My goal is two-fold. The first thing I want to happen is to deflect their thoughts to something else entirely. I'll wait for them to reach maximum joy and then BAM: the (any) question. This also helps me implant false memories after they answer as I usually reference the trick before hitting them again:

ME: "It was at Ricky's? Cool. Wasn't that just crazy how you only thought of a snow blower. Hey, was that at Ricky's on Brodaway? Or was it at his house?"

~Cue Inception music~

And that's how I perform. I've had people come up to me years after performing a trick and telling me that I did something so impossible that it made me laugh (on the inside). But that's how the mind works! Remember, we're not doing magic only for that moment; we're doing magic for people years after the actual motions have taken place. Because every time they remember you, and what you did, they experience it all over again.Take advantage of that while you still have them within your grasp and build them a dream that they'll cherish for years to come.

All my best,

Jamie D. Grant
www.Professional-Magician.com

SentinelFinalArtist10.jpg

Further Reading~The Essays:

Rates FAQ 2.0 (how much to charge) by Jamie D. Grant Essay #1
The single most important thing you can do... Essay #2
How many tricks should you learn? Essay #3
Tips or Wage? ~more thoughts from JDG /Essay #4
How to design a business card~ Essay #5 by JDG
Who I am~ Magic Friday ~ by Jamie D. Grant
Developing Your Sets - Essay #6 from JDG
Do you need a stage show? Essay #7 by JDG
Crushing the Haters! Essay #8 by Jamie D. Grant
Shaky Hands & Falling Cards. Beating Anxiety. Essay #9

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice points. You've got a bit of a cooky writing style.
I agree with your strategy for accomplishing this but I feel like the question you ask should usually be something that will further your performance or segue into the next effect, and not just be something random.

Jamie D. Grant

theory11 columnist
Oct 12, 2008
Vancouver
www.cardsinabottle.com
Thanks for reading, and the comment!

A random question, however, is the exact point. I want their minds completely disassociated for the False Memory and to take away from the reconstruction process. Random questioning works wonders~ give it a try! You'll find when you revisit this spectator later, you should see the result.

All my best,

~jamie

Hmm, ok. So, the idea is to get their mind totally off the effect (whether they are trying to figure it out or not) so that you can very soon after bring their mind back to the trick the just saw while planting a suggestion that it happened under even more impossible conditions? Kind of like misdirecting someone and doing a switch from a gimmicked coin to one they can examine? Only with memories? lol

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
Usually people remember the effects way better than it actually happened...and it´s your duty to make them think that...by now giving away to much magic and stop when the moment is right...also...leaving them wanting for more...

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results