Derren Brown Shows

Feb 7, 2011
What part of google seems complicated to you.

edit:that was harsh. but i still think this is unnecessary .

Jay Adra

Elite Member
Jul 11, 2011
Australia
www.jayadra.com
Agree with above posts, but since I'm nice:

TV Series/Specials

Mind Control (2000–2003)
Trick of the Mind (2004–2006)
Trick or Treat (2007–2008)
Mind Control with Derren Brown (2007)
Derren Brown: The Events (2009)
Derren Brown Investigates (2010)
Derren Brown: The Experiments (2011)
Derren Brown Plays Russian Roulette Live (2003)
Derren Brown: Séance (2004)
Derren Brown: Messiah (2005)
Derren Brown: The Gathering (2005)
Derren Brown: The Heist (2006)
Derren Brown: The System (2008)
Derren Brown: Hero at 30,000 Feet (2010)
Derren Brown: Miracles for Sale (2011)

Live Shows

Derren Brown Live (2003–2004)
Something Wicked This Way Comes (2005–2006)
Mind Reader – An Evening of Wonders (2007–2008)
Derren Brown – Enigma (2009–2010)
Svengali

Books

Absolute Magic
Pure Effect
Tricks of the Mind
Confessions of a Conjuror

Other

The Derren Brown Lecture
The Devil's Picturebook

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
Wow this is great!

The problem with Googling is there's a tendency to get the most popular stuff the most. For instance when I Google Derren Brown I get a whole bunch of repeats of his Zombie video game experiment. It takes a bit of digging to get anything new. I agree Google is a great tool but having a list helps to streamline things.

Feb 4, 2008
Wow this is great!

The problem with Googling is there's a tendency to get the most popular stuff the most. For instance when I Google Derren Brown I get a whole bunch of repeats of his Zombie video game experiment. It takes a bit of digging to get anything new. I agree Google is a great tool but having a list helps to streamline things.
Don't search google. Go to youtube and type in Derren Brown. Once you get most of the way through his name a pop down menu shows up with the sub heading of most of his shows. Then you can follow the drop down menu to whatever catches your fancy. Most of his TV shows, specials, and stage shows are available in full on You tube. It will keep you busy for weeks.

Feb 17, 2011
Quebec, Canada
I saw some of the show and one of them was intriging me. IT,s the trick or treat season 2 episode one with Glen. Derren talk about a certain speed reading technic. Does anyone know what was his technic and where I can read it?

Sep 2, 2007
London
I saw some of the show and one of them was intriging me. IT,s the trick or treat season 2 episode one with Glen. Derren talk about a certain speed reading technic. Does anyone know what was his technic and where I can read it?

Before investing too much time, money, or energy in studying speed reading, maybe consider the possibility that not everything Derren Brown says or implies on his shows is precisely the truth. You might not quite get the results you're hoping for.

Jay Adra

Elite Member
Jul 11, 2011
Australia
www.jayadra.com
Before investing too much time, money, or energy in studying speed reading, maybe consider the possibility that not everything Derren Brown says or implies on his shows is precisely the truth. You might not quite get the results you're hoping for.

Seconded.

I made this mistake when I first saw his shows (I was considerably younger and didn't practice magic yet) which led me down a fairly long path of nonsense. I learnt little about what I was setting out to learn, and yet learned a lot about how much nonsense is out there.

My advice would be to read Derren's book Tricks of the Mind. From that you should be able to get a fair grasp of Derren's thinking and some great info on psychology and memorisation techniques etc. Other than that, credible psychology books would be a good place to look if that's the sort of thing you're interested in.

If you're just looking for speed-reading stuff, then yeah, you'll find that most of it is spurious and unsupported by any real research.

I don't want to intrude on your journey for knowledge on subjects such as these, but I just see you in the same position I was in and I thought I'd best offer some advice and other possible sources.

I do hope you find what you're looking for though :)

Feb 17, 2011
Quebec, Canada
"Before investing too much time, money, or energy in studying speed reading, maybe consider the possibility that not everything Derren Brown says or implies on his shows is precisely the truth. You might not quite get the results you're hoping for."

I see, I didn't believe everything in the show since... it's a show. But, the speed reading seems to me like a not so distant from the truth kind of practice so I was curious about it. I want to learn some memorisation technic because I love poker demo and I want to go down that path. I also thank you to point out that , yes reality migth not be as good as in the show, a thing that I tend to forget :).

Seconded.

I made this mistake when I first saw his shows (I was considerably younger and didn't practice magic yet) which led me down a fairly long path of nonsense. I learnt little about what I was setting out to learn, and yet learned a lot about how much nonsense is out there.

My advice would be to read Derren's book Tricks of the Mind. From that you should be able to get a fair grasp of Derren's thinking and some great info on psychology and memorisation techniques etc. Other than that, credible psychology books would be a good place to look if that's the sort of thing you're interested in.

If you're just looking for speed-reading stuff, then yeah, you'll find that most of it is spurious and unsupported by any real research.

I don't want to intrude on your journey for knowledge on subjects such as these, but I just see you in the same position I was in and I thought I'd best offer some advice and other possible sources.

I do hope you find what you're looking for though :)

I really apprecite your honnest answer and I'll take your experience as a warning. Do you mind sharing a little more of it? Also, I don't want to misinterpret what you are saying, do you imply that Mr. Brown do tell some "BS" in his show intentionnaly (to really take advantage of someone to sell his stuff), tell "BS" to "protect" the people from other that would use his technic to take advantage of other or simply that he do really believe what he said and it's just not quite what we could expect? Also, do you have any good book on memorisation? Or maybe author? Or system? Thank you in advance for your answer, I really appreciate it!

Sep 2, 2007
London
Also, do you have any good book on memorisation? Or maybe author? Or system? Thank you in advance for your answer, I really appreciate it!

Harry Lorayne is considered an expert in memory work, by people in and out of the magic community, so his books would be a good starting point.

Jay Adra

Elite Member
Jul 11, 2011
Australia
www.jayadra.com
I really apprecite your honnest answer and I'll take your experience as a warning. Do you mind sharing a little more of it? Also, I don't want to misinterpret what you are saying, do you imply that Mr. Brown do tell some "BS" in his show intentionnaly (to really take advantage of someone to sell his stuff), tell "BS" to "protect" the people from other that would use his technic to take advantage of other or simply that he do really believe what he said and it's just not quite what we could expect? Also, do you have any good book on memorisation? Or maybe author? Or system? Thank you in advance for your answer, I really appreciate it!

Let's just say Derren uses a lot of these 'psychological techniques' as a form of misdirection from the method behind what are essentially 'tricks', like any good magician. There are certain psychological tricks, techniques etc that can come into play, but most likely not to the extent you imagine.

If you're looking into getting into memorisation, especially with playing cards, as I said Tricks of the Mind is a good place to start. Derren explains a few systems, including the Peg system (one I still use today).

I'd also check out Mnemonica by Juan Tamariz.

Feb 17, 2011
Quebec, Canada
Let's just say Derren uses a lot of these 'psychological techniques' as a form of misdirection from the method behind what are essentially 'tricks', like any good magician. There are certain psychological tricks, techniques etc that can come into play, but most likely not to the extent you imagine.

If you're looking into getting into memorisation, especially with playing cards, as I said Tricks of the Mind is a good place to start. Derren explains a few systems, including the Peg system (one I still use today).

I'd also check out Mnemonica by Juan Tamariz.

Yes, in fact, what I aim about is to be able to demonstrate in a "real" game of poker (wich by the way I don't play) that we can spot, memorize and stack card. My ultimate goal, if possible, is to be able to memorize a deck of card just by peaking at it while shuffling. Maybe impossible, I don't know, but that's what I want to do ultimatly (and that was why I wanted to check the "speed reading" technic by Derren). But first, I want to be able to memorize a deck of card spread around the table in , let's say, 20 second or less and after that, control and stack the card to have a good poker hand.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results