Derren Brown's Card Tricks

jonraiker

vp of development
Team member
Aug 5, 2007
Florida
instagram.com
Derren Brown is, most definitely, one of my favorite performers today. His use of suggestion, psychology, and magic (there's more of this than you'd like to believe) is phenomenal, and he's a constant inspiration to me.

Check out his books Absolute Magic and Pure Effect... that is, if you're able to find copies of them anywhere. They're now Out Of Print. Also, take a look at his two DVDs -- The Devil's Picturebook (as mentioned above) and The Derren Brown Lecture (by International Magic). Both are incredible.

His thoughts on Visual Compromise and magic in general are unparalleled.

Sep 1, 2007
austria
i've also got the devil's picturebook, and i like the tricks very much, but i don't like watching it because i have the old vhs version :-(
furthermore i have a lecture video of derren brown, which is also quite nice, some tricks are also on the picturebook though.

Derren Brown is, most definitely, one of my favorite performers today. His use of suggestion, psychology, and magic (there's more of this than you'd like to believe) is phenomenal, and he's a constant inspiration to me.

Check out his books Absolute Magic and Pure Effect... that is, if you're able to find copies of them anywhere. They're now Out Of Print. Also, take a look at his two DVDs -- The Devil's Picturebook (as mentioned above) and The Derren Brown Lecture (by International Magic). Both are incredible.

His thoughts on Visual Compromise and magic in general are unparalleled.

Agreed, the books are extremely nice.
Also, check out his third book, Tricks of The Mind, which was released last November I think.

That is a book that is primarily aimed towards his "layaudience" and people who have a general interest in him. Although, he does teach a few techniques, such as some very valuable memory techniques, mnemonic ones in particular, and a few suggestion pieces, but nothing huge. Very interesting read indeed. I got mine from Amazon.

Also features a bunch of entertaining anecdotes and stories from his life, how he got where he is today, his inspirations, and also offers his views on paranormal subjects, and religion.

Allan.

Aug 31, 2007
California
If you have any chance to buy Absolute Magic by Mr. Brown, buy it. Don't even think about not buying it, just do it. You will not be sorry with this buy. It usually sells for around 100-200 or more.

It is completely worth it. No effects are taught, but what is taught is priceless.

Keenan

Aug 31, 2007
California
I'm sorry for this, if this has been asked before, but is this the same Derren Brown as in the show "Mind Control with Derren Brown"?

jonraiker

vp of development
Team member
Aug 5, 2007
Florida
instagram.com
I'm sorry for this, if this has been asked before, but is this the same Derren Brown as in the show "Mind Control with Derren Brown"?
Sure is! He was a close-up magician before he got into hypnosis, psychology, and mentalism. Now he uses a mixture of all of the above.

Sep 3, 2007
Indeedy, it's mentioned in reviews for Devil's Picturebook that this stuff is his "retired" card material. One review I read made this particular fact out to be fairly depressing, because honestly, how could anybody retire such priceless material? There's a bottom shift that he teaches on this video that I use every day, and once I get a little more practice on the necessary sleights, I'm gonna wow the ladies with Zamiel's Rose.

While Derren is a terrific close-up magician, I also love his mentalism. His mental forces are so awesome, I've scared so many of my friends with the invisible deal.

-SS

hyo

Sep 1, 2007
A few weeks ago I finally got my hands on "Pure Effect" and all I can say is that the material is priceless! Much theory and some really hard hitting effects. To everyone who calls himself a lucky owner of it, I would recommend to watch The Derren Brown Lecture aswell, since it may gives you a better understanding of the tricks.

My absolute favorite DB card effect is Smoke; mindreading cannot become more visual than that! :)

Sep 2, 2007
London
Derren is awesome in my opinion. I had no idea he had published another book though so thanks , i will look into that. But in his shows he is very unsual.
I know one could argue all magicians are unusual but i feel he is more so.
He maintains a very polite manner even when he is "messing with your mind"
He is a very clever man and i have a great deal of respect for him. He presents tricks well and manages to make simple things like card control remarkably spooky. I for one think he is one of the best in the Uk.

JOn

Sep 1, 2007
Woodside, NY, USA
i'd be willing to pay for copies of either books, meaning that you would go to your copy shop and have them copy the entire thing. As long as the price isn't as ridiculous as $100 shipping included, although i'm sure you all will say that it is worth ten times that amount.

i beleive that's illegal. not only would it be copywrite infringement, but the book is selling for much more than $100 right now. like... $400 or more. so you guessed right on that part.

lots of places won't let you copy a whole book. you might get in some deep s*** for that.

Reactions: rew4747
Sep 1, 2007
Woodside, NY, USA
yes it probably is. . .thank you for the heads up ;) i was actually thinking more along the lines of "exchanging gifts."

if anyone has a copy of the books and lives within the tri-state area of the u.s.a. i would appreciate it if you would pm me for i just want to at least see the books in person.

thanx again.

...when I attended FISM, with Jordan, we met him.
I approach him with the DVD and a Sharpie, and he autographs the inside of the "paper insert" that's in the cover...

Oh shit, I remember that like it was yesterday.

I remember my face grinning like a big girl as I began dodging left and right of you trying to peek over your shoulder to see what he wrote as he was writing it. Good memories!

Jordan

P.S. For sake of rememberance I can still think of the very thing that happened a few moments before the footage started capturing for the FISM video. The moment when myself, Chris and you started briefly chatting with Derren and Hollingworth. I remember before the camera started rolling I performed to Derren the Jackson Five after Chris requested me to do so. Derren just looked at me and stated, "that's a long cut." without saying anything else, LOL. I remember what followed that, when Chris started showing him the Tornado Cut but unfortunately dropped the packet, and in the humerous way Derren has he began to say, "that was s***."

ROFL, I love that guy!

Its awesome to see that Derren is a great guy as he's a great magician :)

Keep in mind that studying one's work, especially Derren, think why is the trick is so good, and try to implement the ideas to your own magic. You'll learn darn alot.

Go for whats behind the methods :)

Personally, when it comes to construction and presentation, he's my biggest influence.

~ Feras

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results