Sep 2, 2007
Houston, TX
Today my grandma ordered me some stuff for christmas:

Extremely Ambitious
Revolutionary Card Magic
22 Blows to The Head
Hemispheres
The Disapearance

all by Jay Sankey, from Sankeymagic.com.

My question is:

Is this stuff practical for the real world? (school, street, family?)
Would I have been better off getting Art of Astonishment?

Maybe the fact that since she ordered this stuff for me, I ended up winning a free $50 gift card to sankeymagic.com is a sign that this is the right stuff for me. haha.

Also, what approach should I take on learning the material?
I.E. what dvd should I watch first, second, third, and so on?

Thanks for all the help!!
Robby

Dec 23, 2007
Fredonia, NY
i dont like AOA that much

how can you not like it? it has enough material in there for a lifetime. The AoA books are amazing and have a very wide variety of effects for almost any situation. in the end though you have to decide whats better for you. I dont have too many of the others you listed but i love the AoA series and would highly recommend them

Oct 17, 2007
Aussie NSW
Yes AOA is awesome

Its really recommened like said above it has enough material to last you a life time but if you into cards you could get card colledge if you into coins you should get Bobo's

Sep 2, 2007
Houston, TX
I already ordered all the sankey stuff, I was mainly just wondering if that stuff was a good choice, and if it was practical material.

also, does anyone have descriptions of any of the effects on revolutionary card magic?

Jan 16, 2008
Wroking Overseas
In my opinion no matter what people may have to say about Jay Sankey, he has a lot of great stuff. I have a couple of those videos and they are all good and full of information and effects that I am 100% you will use. I think you made a good choice with your purchases, and you will have a lot of fun with them.

Sep 2, 2007
Houston, TX
thats what I was thinking. I already have in a flash, anytime anywhere, front row sankey, killer key, hijacked, and hundred dollar miracles.

still trying to decide on my 50 dollar gift card purchase. Sankey has a freate your own magic kit deal for 30 dollars and you get to choose 3 dvds from a list, for only 30 bucks. I dont know if I should do that, and get bigger finish, to complement in a flash, dough, because it has gimmicked and ungimmicked pencil thru bill which is PERFECT for school, and Zero gravity when someone just NEEDS that "quick trick fix" haha. any ways I dont know If I should get that and some flash paper, or Twister, to complement killer key, and some flash paper.

what do you think?

Apr 27, 2008
I don't ever order anything from Sankey because for me it's hard to trust someone who releases that much stuff. I know he has some great material but it's one of my superstitions I guess. I know that AOA is crazy good and I recommend it.

Sep 2, 2007
Houston, TX
I don't ever order anything from Sankey because for me it's hard to trust someone who releases that much stuff. I know he has some great material but it's one of my superstitions I guess. I know that AOA is crazy good and I recommend it.

I understand what you are saying, but I'm sorry, because Jay has some amazing stuff. you dont think the 222 tricks on AoA is alot? Jay just seems like he has alot more because he releases alot of stuff seperately, but some of his dvds have some of the same tricks on them

Mar 29, 2008
Paul Harris developed that stuff over a LONG period of time - and the A of A stuff is considered classic strong magic - many effects have come from the originals in that book - and FEW are better than the originals.

As for the Sankey stuff - well - you have made your choice, so no need to tell you one way or the other - some stuff will be practical, some won't - Sankey's best stuff came out when he had hair...he has had a gem here and there - but those are my standards...I want 9's and 10/10...you may be happy with 7's...and maybe those that watch you will see them as 10's, because of how new you are to magic and what their expectations are.

Do I think you made a good choice...no...and in a few years, you won't think so either. You will say - man, I could have had the A of A books OR something that gave me a better foundation in magic...but then again, that is assuming you care enough to progress and get better.

Sankey stuff is KNOWN for being re-released and his effects often don't play for lay audiences like you would think...not all of them - as he has had some gems, like I said, but I have heard little good about his newer stuff...but in all fairness, I haven't bought or seen them myself - so when you get them - give us a review.

You tell US if you made a good choice.

Sep 2, 2007
Houston, TX
whoa man look, I'm not a beginner. Ive been performing and practicing magic for 2 years solid.

I like sankey stuff because it is practical. I mean seriously, the center twist. What is the reasoning behind making an ace flip over, then changing the back color?

At least with things like Dough, its good for school, and when that pencil goes through the bill, thats gunna interest them because you are destroying something EVERYONE loves. And then when you heal the hole, thats a nail right in between the eyes.

And with spongeballs. I am in NO way downing spongeballs. I LOVE spongeball magic, but isnt that random when you bring out a little red ball? Sankey has an effect where you borrow a bill, RIP it in HALF (which again gets attention) then your half vanishes and appears in their hand, fused back together whith their half, and it has the same serial #!

Now dont get me wrong, Sankey has come out with a few thumb downs, like his new effect blockbuster. You show up with a block of wood, and nail a card to it, then later the card turns out to be the signed card. WTF?!?! that, in my opinion, is sooo random, and dumb.

Also, with Sankey's stuff, there isnt really much of it that requires knuckle busting sleights, so you can REALLY work on presentation, and patter.

But hey, there is ALOT to say for both.

May 13, 2008
St Albans, UK
Paul Harris developed that stuff over a LONG period of time - and the A of A stuff is considered classic strong magic - many effects have come from the originals in that book - and FEW are better than the originals.

Do I think you made a good choice...no...and in a few years, you won't think so either.

Wholeheartedly agree there.

And whoa, Sankey overload! The guy is a fantastic performer and i could watch him all day but you really need to save some cash and really expand your magical knowledge.
Sometimes it's important to enrich your technical abilities as well.
I would've suggested Daryl's Ambitious tape, The Paper Engine and Corinda's book but you've made your choices and hope you enjoy the material.

PS. AoA is fantastic.

Sep 2, 2007
Houston, TX
Wholeheartedly agree there.

And whoa, Sankey overload! The guy is a fantastic performer and i could watch him all day but you really need to save some cash and really expand your magical knowledge.
Sometimes it's important to enrich your technical abilities as well.
I would've suggested Daryl's Ambitious tape, The Paper Engine and Corinda's book but you've made your choices and hope you enjoy the material.

PS. AoA is fantastic.

sankey stuff is not all I have, I just have alot of it because I enjoy his material. I have no clue what the paper engine is, and I do have corrinda's book, along with bobo's, and mark wilsons complete course, loops, daniel garcia stuff, linking rings stuff, gimmicked coins and more that ISNT sankey.

and you say expand my knowledge and save my money? I believe that Sankey has some of the BEST info on his dvd's. and also, when you pay 30 bucks for something like say paper clipped, you dont just get the secret to paperclipped, you get a two hour dvd with the secret, and tons of extra's and tips. I'd rather use my money on that than pay more for a trick like digital dissolve, and get a 40 minute dvd with mostly performance. Can you say RIPOFF?

And why does every one have something against sankey? Is it because not all his tricks are created to "fry magicians" (theory11 people)? Or is it because he actually is funny and doest act like a super creepy person that worships satan when he performs? Thats what I see aot of the T11 people acting like.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results