Did I Overkill Watermark?

So I recently got a download of Watermark from T11, and it's my first experience with a Theory11 product. The effect was just as much as what I expected it to be. In the hands of the right performer this effect is lethal.

So I was performing at the Bar Show at Magicopolis in Santa Monica last night for a private party. Nobody informed me prior to showing up that the party in question was from a Lutheran college. That may not seem like a huge point, but once you get through this set up and to where I'm going it'll make sense later.

I performed my usual set of geek magic and decided to close my show with my adaptation of Watermark.

First the props.
1) Watermark napkin.
2) Devils Doorway. (A miniature business card sized Ouija board - Out To Lunch method)
3) Tarot Deck
4) Wine glass of water (to which I was seen drinking from all through my set)

Let the fun begin.

I set the effect up by doing some story telling. I ask if the audience believes in ghosts, spirits, ghouls, or demons, and then regale them of a permanent marker that I recovered from a doctors office in an abandoned haunted hospital in down town Los Angeles. (I'm not making this story up. The pen really came from that place.)

I then tell them that spirits have been known to communicate with the living for centuries, and many methods are used to do so. Among the most popular is the Spirit Boards. I introduce the Devils Doorway prop.

I also point out that answers can be divined through other oricals as well such as Tarot cards. To which I introduce my deck of tarot cards wrapped in the delicate Watermark paper, tied with a black ribbon.

I remark that I know there are non-believers out there. That people don't think spirits can REALLY communicate with the living. So I purpose a test. A scientific test, to which a question that we can verify the accuracy to, is asked of the spirits, so we can challenge a response.

I have my mark sign her name to the Devils Doorway card, and I remove it so she may hold onto it. I shuffle the Tarot deck and ask her to select a card. She does. I impress upon the group the importance to remember the card. If it has a name, remember the name. If it has a number or a suit, to remember that. Try to attach some kind of personal image or emotion to the card. Most important.... to not forget it.

I ask the spirits if they are here tonight from the hospital. Did they follow me attached to the marker I removed, unable to move on in the after life? Then beseech the spirits to reply with the answer to my question: "What was the selected card?" I wait for a reply. I instruct the spectator to turn over the pocket sized Ouija board, to which there is a slight gasp.

The little spirit board has now manifested marks under the word "Yes", and the letters "P"- "A" - "E"- "R".

I ponder the meaning to the spirits cryptic answer. I eventually purpose that the reply could be PAPER and the spirits intended the letter P to be used twice. But the only PAPER around is the tissue paper my tarot deck was wrapped in. But the paper is blank! I show it on both sides.

Clearly the spirits need more help to manifest their message. I look around. Water I recount, has been known for centuries to be a conduit between our realities. It's liquid nature allows it to flow fluidly through our worlds. Perhaps if I sanctified the water we could use it to help the spirits bring their message through to us in a more clear manor. I make a cross over the water, and say the blessing "E nomine patris et filii et spiritus sancti" and then begin to splash the water onto the tissue paper.

Quickly the letters begin to reveal themselves to spell D...E...V...I...L. The Devil I say. Was that your card?

Silence.

A pin could have dropped 3 blocks away and you could have heard it. I wait for a few beats, no one moves. No sound. Silence. I say thank you and take a bow. They then applaud.

Now here's my question... Did I just succeed beyond the point of vocalizing appreciation and amazement or did I leave them sitting there saying "So what?"

Now I've had stunned silence when working with people one on one. I've had people just tell me "okay" like they don't care. But I with this group I can't really tell... I've never had a full room go dead silent like that on me before. I tell you not a single one of them reacted, and there was probably close to 20 of them.

Thoughts? Perhaps I over killed the effect? Perhaps it was watered down? (pardon the pun) I don't know.

I believe that they you brought them over the edge of just a magic show and made them truly believe that what you did was truly supernatural. Also, being church-going people, they probably were in fear because they may have felt that the devil was in their presence.

Sep 20, 2009
now that is a well thought out presentation. well done mate

the problem with story telling in tricks in my opinion is sometimes its gets so cheesy and you can tell their reciting a script to go with the trick.

but yours, everything had a purpose behind it, the way you described it nothing seemed cheesy or forced like you were just making up some story to go along with a "trick"

Nov 7, 2009
Personally I think you went a it overboard and it left them a little confused. If you cut it down and stick to the story you could really get reactions out of this... And I mean good reactions.

I would off said I found this pen (do the story) then say pick a card and then you shuffle it back... then you say im going to write down your card on the paper but the pen dosent work. Then you check in the cap and theres some paper with the words 'use the water' on it, then act confused then pour the water on and reveal the card.

Although I probally went overboard to :p

So I recently got a download of Watermark from T11, and it's my first experience with a Theory11 product. The effect was just as much as what I expected it to be. In the hands of the right performer this effect is lethal.

So I was performing at the Bar Show at Magicopolis in Santa Monica last night for a private party. Nobody informed me prior to showing up that the party in question was from a Lutheran college. That may not seem like a huge point, but once you get through this set up and to where I'm going it'll make sense later.

I performed my usual set of geek magic and decided to close my show with my adaptation of Watermark.

First the props.
1) Watermark napkin.
2) Devils Doorway. (A miniature business card sized Ouija board - Out To Lunch method)
3) Tarot Deck
4) Wine glass of water (to which I was seen drinking from all through my set)

Let the fun begin.

I set the effect up by doing some story telling. I ask if the audience believes in ghosts, spirits, ghouls, or demons, and then regale them of a permanent marker that I recovered from a doctors office in an abandoned haunted hospital in down town Los Angeles. (I'm not making this story up. The pen really came from that place.)

I then tell them that spirits have been known to communicate with the living for centuries, and many methods are used to do so. Among the most popular is the Spirit Boards. I introduce the Devils Doorway prop.

I also point out that answers can be divined through other oricals as well such as Tarot cards. To which I introduce my deck of tarot cards wrapped in the delicate Watermark paper, tied with a black ribbon.

I remark that I know there are non-believers out there. That people don't think spirits can REALLY communicate with the living. So I purpose a test. A scientific test, to which a question that we can verify the accuracy to, is asked of the spirits, so we can challenge a response.

I have my mark sign her name to the Devils Doorway card, and I remove it so she may hold onto it. I shuffle the Tarot deck and ask her to select a card. She does. I impress upon the group the importance to remember the card. If it has a name, remember the name. If it has a number or a suit, to remember that. Try to attach some kind of personal image or emotion to the card. Most important.... to not forget it.

I ask the spirits if they are here tonight from the hospital. Did they follow me attached to the marker I removed, unable to move on in the after life? Then beseech the spirits to reply with the answer to my question: "What was the selected card?" I wait for a reply. I instruct the spectator to turn over the pocket sized Ouija board, to which there is a slight gasp.

The little spirit board has now manifested marks under the word "Yes", and the letters "P"- "A" - "E"- "R".

I ponder the meaning to the spirits cryptic answer. I eventually purpose that the reply could be PAPER and the spirits intended the letter P to be used twice. But the only PAPER around is the tissue paper my tarot deck was wrapped in. But the paper is blank! I show it on both sides.

Clearly the spirits need more help to manifest their message. I look around. Water I recount, has been known for centuries to be a conduit between our realities. It's liquid nature allows it to flow fluidly through our worlds. Perhaps if I sanctified the water we could use it to help the spirits bring their message through to us in a more clear manor. I make a cross over the water, and say the blessing "E nomine patris et filii et spiritus sancti" and then begin to splash the water onto the tissue paper.

Quickly the letters begin to reveal themselves to spell D...E...V...I...L. The Devil I say. Was that your card?

Silence.

A pin could have dropped 3 blocks away and you could have heard it. I wait for a few beats, no one moves. No sound. Silence. I say thank you and take a bow. They then applaud.

Now here's my question... Did I just succeed beyond the point of vocalizing appreciation and amazement or did I leave them sitting there saying "So what?"

Now I've had stunned silence when working with people one on one. I've had people just tell me "okay" like they don't care. But I with this group I can't really tell... I've never had a full room go dead silent like that on me before. I tell you not a single one of them reacted, and there was probably close to 20 of them.

Thoughts? Perhaps I over killed the effect? Perhaps it was watered down? (pardon the pun) I don't know.
Draven, that wasn't overkill, that was bringing maturation to the effect. When these people put out these effects they basically tell the patter that works for them. They welcome artistry on our parts...

Based on your description and the guy above said that you made them feel that supernatural presence. I have done watermark before and i usually do it with a white t-shirt for seriousness, you took the serious side of it and made it seem realistic.

all i can say is that you took them for a ride, and you made the effect yours....kudos to you....

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
Well, I have to first off say, great work on the routine.

As you know, I'm also a Baptist pastor. I would imagine if a performer did a routine like that for my group and they were not expecting it, some might definitely be weirded out, but to be honest a lot wouldn't want to respond because they wouldn't really like the presentation. They wouldn't want to clap, because they wouldn't want to show approval. (of course they would likely clap at the end to be polite, but in the moment there would be lots of uncertainty with how to respond).

Now despite the uncertainty with how to respond, many likely really enjoyed it. I would say wrong performance/party mix. But that is not your fault. Likely it's the guy who didn't look up what "Master of the Macabre" meant. Technically they got what they asked for. lol.

Well, I have to first off say, great work on the routine.

As you know, I'm also a Baptist pastor. I would imagine if a performer did a routine like that for my group and they were not expecting it, some might definitely be weirded out, but to be honest a lot wouldn't want to respond because they wouldn't really like the presentation. They wouldn't want to clap, because they wouldn't want to show approval. (of course they would likely clap at the end to be polite, but in the moment there would be lots of uncertainty with how to respond).

Now despite the uncertainty with how to respond, many likely really enjoyed it. I would say wrong performance/party mix. But that is not your fault. Likely it's the guy who didn't look up what "Master of the Macabre" meant. Technically they got what they asked for. lol.

Justin your absolutely right. It was probably wrong style for the wrong crowd. I knew the moment I took the stage that I was a square peg being put into a round hole. I was uneasy about my act because I know (and respect) peoples beliefs and I know my act is a hot button full of controversial issues that these kids may have problems with.

I think I need to try a few other live performances to determine if this is something that needs tweaked or if it's solid.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Draven,

I love the sound of your routine. Sometimes that what it takes to push the envelope.
I think by the sounds of it you did a great job and it was stunned silence of, "Wow..what did we just witness?"

You probably freaked them out a little...ha ha.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Sorry, finally got around to watching your video.

I don't think you overkilled it at all. There may, in fact, be ways to make it eerier.

Also, I think I have the same coat as you.

Mar 1, 2010
Hong Kong
Nice presentation, your imagination has made your performance shocking, interesting and tremendous!

Personally, I will not include devil in my presentation because of my religion.

But watermark has endless application and it is great that you performed it in such an unexpected way.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results