Disintegration by Spidey and PL Bergeron

The Dark Angel

forum moderator / t11
Sep 1, 2007
Denver, Colorado
Well, I figured that I might as well give a shot at writing a review, and this is a good effect to review, so here it goes! (This is my first review, by the way)

Effect:
A card is freely chosen, memorized and returned to the deck. The magician then asks a spectator to hold out their arm, and he begins to sprinkle ashes on their arm. He asks them to tell him what their card was, and then shakes the ashes off of their arms to reveal the suit and number of their card!

Set up: The set up takes about 10 seconds, and is exceptionally easy, but it can't be done in front of spectators unless you are VERY sneaky. I must say that when I learned this I was BLOWN AWAY by how ingenious it is!

Difficulty: The trick itself is rather simple, there are some basic sleights, but anybody who knows their way around cards could do this easily, and the dvd teaches you everything you need to know on the spot.

Reset: The reset is the same as the set up is.

DVD quality: The dvd quality isn't the best, it's a simple one angle shot that focuses on the magician sitting down and describing the effect and all that. There is one part where he forgets what he was saying and you hear a voice say "Cut" before the shot is redone. But overall, it's just fine.

Teaching quality: The magician teaching this trick is French-Canadian I believe, and speaks almost perfect English, but there are moments when he stutters to remember the right word. But none of it affects the teaching quality at all, whatsoever.

Variations/Modifications: This trick is made so that it can be done as part of a Mentalism routine using several different methods. There are also several alternate ways to do the trick, but they all get the ashes on the arm.

Pro's:
Hard hitting effect
Simple
Reset and Setup are both easy and quick
Cheap effect
The Spectators will NEVER suspect the method used.

Con's:
People with hairy arms aren't good people to do this effect on, as you won't be able to see the ashes imprint clearly
It takes some practice to get everything down and to make the imprint look right

Overall: If you like the Ashes on Arm Trick of Voodoo Ash, you will worship this trick. There is nothing stronger than doing these tricks, but on your spectators arms! This trick is very good, very visual, you are left 100% clean at the end, and the spectators will truly believe that you have some otherworldy powers.
I would say, if you have the money BUY THIS TRICK.

Sep 1, 2007
UK
I agree, this is a great effect and, in my opinion, takes the ashes on arm effect to a new level.

Sep 1, 2007
austria
i recently came across this effect (i don't know how long it's been out), and i'm also very satisfied. of course, the whole editing and stuff of the dvd is nothing fancy, but it's solid and you will have absolutely no problem learning the effect. there are a two or three different of methods of the trick explained, so you can pick the one that suits u best, wheather you wanna do something that fits in your card routine or something more like mentalism. there are some things you have to buy (except a deck of cards) but i guess they cost you about 2$ or 3$, and last for about 50 performances i guess (i think even more).

i uploaded the official trailer to youtube, so if you're intersted you can watch it by clicking HERE

The Dark Angel

forum moderator / t11
Sep 1, 2007
Denver, Colorado
Yes, the setup does include a "gimmick", and I use that phrase lightly because I don't consider it to be a gimmicked trick, but the "gimmick" will cost you very little.

Sin

Sep 2, 2007
I havent purchased this effect, but I like your review.

I'll need to look into getting this. It seems like something I could use.

Spidey_magic

Elite Member
Mar 5, 2008
Hey Guys!

This is Spidey, I'm the guy explaining the trick on the DVD. Sorry you guys didn't like the quality, the guy who filmed is a genius at editing (as you can see in the trailer) but our set wasnt the best. I figured it was good enough to get the point across. But No worries, my upcoming DVD is filmed in a better studio with better lights and sound.

Also, Im not french canadian haha, well I do speak french and I live in Canada but Im not primarily french. The reason I am "searching for words" is because they slapped me in front of a camera and told me to explain the trick, so it's only normal that I forget words every now and then.

Thanks for posting and I'm glad you guys like it, and I hope you'll look into my next DVD which will hopefully be released in a month, it is my most intricate work up to date. Cant give away too much quite yet...

thanks again
Spidey

The Dark Angel

forum moderator / t11
Sep 1, 2007
Denver, Colorado
Hey Guys!

This is Spidey, I'm the guy explaining the trick on the DVD. Sorry you guys didn't like the quality, the guy who filmed is a genius at editing (as you can see in the trailer) but our set wasnt the best. I figured it was good enough to get the point across. But No worries, my upcoming DVD is filmed in a better studio with better lights and sound.

Also, Im not french canadian haha, well I do speak french and I live in Canada but Im not primarily french. The reason I am "searching for words" is because they slapped me in front of a camera and told me to explain the trick, so it's only normal that I forget words every now and then.

Thanks for posting and I'm glad you guys like it, and I hope you'll look into my next DVD which will hopefully be released in a month, it is my most intricate work up to date. Cant give away too much quite yet...

thanks again
Spidey

Hey Spidey!

Just wanted to say that I still enjoy performing this effect, and look forward to your upcoming work!

Take care,
TDA

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results