Dive of Death - Clarification

Dec 5, 2007
New York City
I was there. After going to see Blaine every day for 3 days straight I must say that I´m very disappointed that the people are paying more attention to what he did wrong instead of the incredible stunt he was able to do. I mean he lasted 3 days and 2 nights upside down. For the people who are talking trash about hem i want to see you hang upside down for 3 days and them have the courage to jump knowing that things were not going as expected.

May 6, 2008
Thanks for the insults

Yes I do expect perfection or at least the appearence of it from a multi million dollar show. No a 60 ft fall to water won't kill you if you fall properly (although, it was a 44ft rig so a 60 ft fall would have been impressive.) i.e. feet first. I've done it. Also if he can afford the special fx team from the Spiderman movies, he could get someone to come up with a better finish. Heck, Copperfield made the Staute of Liberty 'vanish'. Insulting his audience was mostly just funny I'll admit it had very little validity (merit, worth for you youngsters) but was more an observation and funny. Blaine is great street magician also a historian. Watch his switches, they are slppoy as hell. sometimes he'll hand them a coin from a hand that it was never in. His false transfers are non exisistent at times, but he is so good at misdirection he does not even need them. Thus he is good I am not insulting his magic talent. But i like his magic, not his stunts. And yes just about anyone could hang there if they had the willpower.Especially with the breaks. And yes if you sponsor it, I will do it.

Dec 5, 2007
New York City
Yes I do expect perfection or at least the appearence of it from a multi million dollar show. No a 60 ft fall to water won't kill you if you fall properly (although, it was a 44ft rig so a 60 ft fall would have been impressive.) i.e. feet first. I've done it. Also if he can afford the special fx team from the Spiderman movies, he could get someone to come up with a better finish. Heck, Copperfield made the Staute of Liberty 'vanish'. Insulting his audience was mostly just funny I'll admit it had very little validity (merit, worth for you youngsters) but was more an observation and funny. Blaine is great street magician also a historian. Watch his switches, they are slppoy as hell. sometimes he'll hand them a coin from a hand that it was never in. His false transfers are non exisistent at times, but he is so good at misdirection he does not even need them. Thus he is good I am not insulting his magic talent. But i like his magic, not his stunts. And yes just about anyone could hang there if they had the willpower.Especially with the breaks. And yes if you sponsor it, I will do it.

The breaks were like 5 minutes long and he had like 1 break each 2 hours. I would be glad to see you try it,but honestly I don´t think you could do it please don´t take it as a insult we are just stating opinions no facts.

Sep 3, 2007
Yes I do expect perfection or at least the appearence of it from a multi million dollar show.

You must get pretty PO'd at a lot of the recent movies you go to then :) If you think you could do the stunt maybe you should record a video! It doesn't take a multi-million dollar settup to hang yourself upside down. And if you're really pissed about the ending think about how he feels, he probably feels like he failed us "again." Judging by your attitude of perfection regardless of the surroundings (obviously it was something he couldn't personally control) I have the feeling you wouldn't take it so well. In a sense he's setting a good example for perfectionists to learn from.

Peace.

May 6, 2008
The Key is preparation

If I am going to be outside on Live television after such a big, huge build-up. You darn well better believe I will have chosen a Climax that wind will not ruin. Come on. I juggle and breathe fire. However, I have other things to fall back on if it is windy.
Gerg, you say you were there, was it terribly windy? Like unusually wind for being in a huge open park with no wind breaks, or was it typical?
As for having the gull to jump, knowing it would go wrong? There's a terrible lesson for anyone involved in any danger related work. The idea is to have it look dangerous, not be dangerous.
I am more upset about the thought put into this than the execution. Even if he had just disappeared. I wanna see something climactic. Hell Penn and Teller's cups and balls has a better climax. It is like when Criss Angel sat in a tube in a tank of water for however long. Then they had to 'aggitate' the water ( to cover up a switch or absence most likely). Then instead of climbing out of the tank and doing an interview, he disappears when it aggitates and appears elsewhere, proving he could have gotten out at anytime. And thus, destroying the 'reality' he was trying to set up of being locked in a tank.
Would Blain's 'frozen in time' been as cool if they had a trap door he crawled out, openly, and then sat down and drank some hot cocoa for 5 minutes every two hours? Obviously not. That would suck. And when people who make so much money for what they do, Suck, they need to be told they suck. Look at Brett farve or other pros, when they blow it, they get told. It comes with the territory. When your fans say you sucked, analyze what you are doing. I loved David I still do. His book was great his specials are good. But don't blow it. Don't leave room for error on such a big night.
Plus as good as David is, He's like a cover band. Doing other people's material. So am I, but I am not making bank. I hope guys like Wayne and Daniel and Mathieu, who design and make these things, are getting bank.
Oh and the only things I haveinsulted so far are his silly looking marks and the concept for a stunt. You people, some, have been insulting me, which is no longer a debate or discussion and makes things you say less valid and just attacks and attempts at raising your personal status. So enjoy your peeing contest.

Sep 1, 2007
I've done it.

Proof. Let's see it.

but was more an observation and funny.

No and no. It was a d*ck move.

And yes just about anyone could hang there if they had the willpower.Especially with the breaks.

If you told me to do the stunt the way you wanted it done, I would tell where you could ram it.

And yes if you sponsor it, I will do it.

Now there's a supremely hollow gesture. Grow up.

In a sense he's setting a good example for perfectionists to learn from.

Personally, I think he's taking responsibility where most of his critics would refuse to.

Come on. I juggle and breathe fire.

What do you want, a cookie?

Would Blain's 'frozen in time' been as cool if they had a trap door he crawled out, openly, and then sat down and drank some hot cocoa for 5 minutes every two hours? Obviously not. That would suck.

Again I hate to sound like a broken record, but it is physically impossible to remain suspended with your heart over your head for 60 hours without suffering fatal injuries such as a stroke.

How many times must this be repeated before it sinks in? Are you remaining willfully ignorant or are you just reading every other sentence?

Plus as good as David is, He's like a cover band. Doing other people's material. So am I, but I am not making bank. I hope guys like Wayne and Daniel and Mathieu, who design and make these things, are getting bank.

Next stop at the corner of Irrelevant and Change of Subject.

Oh and the only things I haveinsulted so far are his silly looking marks and the concept for a stunt. You people, some, have been insulting me, which is no longer a debate or discussion and makes things you say less valid and just attacks and attempts at raising your personal status. So enjoy your peeing contest.

To paraphrase you, when someone says something stupid, we should tell them as much.

I don't like pulling punches because I find it distasteful to coddle ignorance.

Sep 1, 2007
Cleveland, Ohio
That was the dumbest stunt/trick/crap I have ever seen. At least he did some magic on this show. However most of the people he was fooling probably could have been entertained by dangling keys in their face and saying, "Look Shiny". It has gotten out of hand. What a sweet paycheck for David though.

P.S. Anyone else pissed seeing him toss all those split spades all over. No wonder they are 7 dollars a pack.
Funny how people say, "nice paycheck for him..." when doing these stunts actually cost HIM money! Not too long ago in an interview about his last stunt he explained that the money to pay for these stunts comes out of HIS pocket. He works all year to pay for them. He doesnt do these things for money, there is a much deeper understanding here and youre just not getting it.

Dec 5, 2007
New York City
If I am going to be outside on Live television after such a big, huge build-up. You darn well better believe I will have chosen a Climax that wind will not ruin. Come on. I juggle and breathe fire. However, I have other things to fall back on if it is windy.
Gerg, you say you were there, was it terribly windy? Like unusually wind for being in a huge open park with no wind breaks, or was it typical?
As for having the gull to jump, knowing it would go wrong? There's a terrible lesson for anyone involved in any danger related work. The idea is to have it look dangerous, not be dangerous.
I am more upset about the thought put into this than the execution. Even if he had just disappeared. I wanna see something climactic. Hell Penn and Teller's cups and balls has a better climax. It is like when Criss Angel sat in a tube in a tank of water for however long. Then they had to 'aggitate' the water ( to cover up a switch or absence most likely). Then instead of climbing out of the tank and doing an interview, he disappears when it aggitates and appears elsewhere, proving he could have gotten out at anytime. And thus, destroying the 'reality' he was trying to set up of being locked in a tank.
Would Blain's 'frozen in time' been as cool if they had a trap door he crawled out, openly, and then sat down and drank some hot cocoa for 5 minutes every two hours? Obviously not. That would suck. And when people who make so much money for what they do, Suck, they need to be told they suck. Look at Brett farve or other pros, when they blow it, they get told. It comes with the territory. When your fans say you sucked, analyze what you are doing. I loved David I still do. His book was great his specials are good. But don't blow it. Don't leave room for error on such a big night.

Funny you ask actually the wind was calm at ground level. It was not that cold either.

May 6, 2008
See that is what I am saying, the weather was not even a factor. It was just poorly executed.

Why would anyone cut David Blaine any slack?

He ****ed up. It happens. I mean whether it was his fault or not he still did not deliver. Look at how he hung upside down for 60 hours. That is IMPRESSIVE.

The finale was, as David admitted, poorly executed. **** happens, thats life. He shouldn't be given any slack because he screwed up. I mean the only thing that makes it ok is that he admitted it and his history of success redeems him. I mean don't punish the guy for screwing up, but the stunt was NOT a success by any means so he should not be getting praises for his failed stunt,

The magic on that show was GREAT stuff though.

Oh and those of you arguing about being able to jump 60 ft into water, you can. You don't really have to beleive me on that but I have seen people hit 80 foot cliffs. Granted they were in pain, but no broken bones.

May 6, 2008
Conjure_Pitch: Thanks for backing me up on the 60 ft fall bit. However, Like I siad, he could have only jumped 44 ft anyway. I also believe his earlier work is redeeming to this. But yeeah this stunt went bad. Did anyone else figure out most of his tricks. The part of exile where he lifts the x off is impressive, getting them under the coin is easy. The match book bit was pretty easy to catch. I just did not see anything mind blowing.

Why would anyone cut David Blaine any slack?

He ****ed up. It happens. I mean whether it was his fault or not he still did not deliver. Look at how he hung upside down for 60 hours. That is IMPRESSIVE.

The finale was, as David admitted, poorly executed. **** happens, thats life. He shouldn't be given any slack because he screwed up. I mean the only thing that makes it ok is that he admitted it and his history of success redeems him. I mean don't punish the guy for screwing up, but the stunt was NOT a success by any means so he should not be getting praises for his failed stunt,

The magic on that show was GREAT stuff though.

Oh and those of you arguing about being able to jump 60 ft into water, you can. You don't really have to beleive me on that but I have seen people hit 80 foot cliffs. Granted they were in pain, but no broken bones.

Quoted for truth....I guess the main part here is at least David is taking this in good spirit, he could be flipping out and blaming everyone and everything.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results