DL as control

Jan 30, 2008
Hey guys, i just wanted to ask your opinions about something. Do you think it`s deceptive to control card this way: I riffle the corner and ask the spectator to say stop. I cut the deck where they said stop and do a double lift and ask them to remember (and possibly sign) the card. Then i turn the double over, take the bottom half of the deck with my left hand and slip the top card of the upper half to the top of the lower half, and then drop the upper half on top of the lower half. Then i dribble to show that i dont hold any breaks, and then finish with false overhand shuffle. I`m pretty bad in explaining, hope you can understand what i mean :)

I am honestly proud of my double lift, so it would be logical to use it as much as i can. But i haven`t seen this way used very often, so i would really like to hear some opinions about it. Thank you in advance :)

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
The DL makes up most phases of most people's ACR's. So yes the DL is an amazingly deceptive control. The only thing that I have a problem with is why would you shuffle the deck, and if you needed to why not use a overhand shuffle control.

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
Hey guys, i just wanted to ask your opinions about something. Do you think it`s deceptive to control card this way: I riffle the corner and ask the spectator to say stop. I cut the deck where they said stop and do a double lift and ask them to remember (and possibly sign) the card. Then i turn the double over, take the bottom half of the deck with my left hand and slip the top card of the upper half to the top of the lower half, and then drop the upper half on top of the lower half. Then i dribble to show that i dont hold any breaks, and then finish with false overhand shuffle. I`m pretty bad in explaining, hope you can understand what i mean :)

There is way too many motions there,if your DL is that good, you just need to do the Dl, show the card and insert it in the middle.

watch his video by the way:

http://media.theory11.com/2253-Unnatural

Too many sleights and motions make the magic more confusing to the spectator. We should keep our magic simple. Or it wouldnt look like magic in their eyes afterall.

Jan 30, 2008
There is way too many motions there,if your DL is that good, you just need to do the Dl, show the card and insert it in the middle.

watch his video by the way:

http://media.theory11.com/2253-Unnatural

Too many sleights and motions make the magic more confusing to the spectator. We should keep our magic simple. Or it wouldnt look like magic in their eyes afterall.

As i said i`m bad at explaining. Basically what the spectators sees is that i show their card, cut it to the center and shuffle the deck.

And i have seen Ineski`s Unnatural. I love it :)

Aug 2, 2009
i feel that doubles are overused, just because you can do a really good one doesnt mean there isnt a more effectuve way in your routine. instead of a double for a control i like you use the 4for4 switch with only two cards, its very VERY deceptive. also, check out the new venus trap on Dan and dave .com, it seems to be better than both alternatives: http://store.dananddave.com/venus-trap.html

also, if you are interested in doubles be sure to check out andthensome if you already havent, there are a bugillian doubles that will blow your mind. i know ill be working on that areal double forever.

if you do feel like a double, i suggest the spin dr. double, because it is impossible to suspect a double, and its fast and easy.

and guess what? they put some improvements of that in andthensome too! haha
:)

Last edited by a moderator:
May 8, 2008
Cumbria, UK
i feel that doubles are overused, just because you can do a really good one doesnt mean there isnt a more effectuve way in your routine. instead of a double for a control i like you use the 4for4 switch with only two cards, its very VERY deceptive. also, check out the new venus trap on Dan and dave .com, it seems to be better than both alternatives: http://store.dananddave.com/venus-trap.html

also, if you are interested in doubles be sure to check out andthensome if you already havent, there are a bugillian doubles that will blow your mind. i know ill be working on that areal double forever.

if you do feel like a double, i suggest the spin dr. double, because it is impossible to suspect a double, and its fast and easy.

and guess what? they put some improvements of that in andthensome too! haha
:)

If you need to do fancy or 'impossible' doubles to prove to your spectator that there's only one card, you're doing something wrong. Try putting less emphasis on the turning of the card, and more on the card itself. Turning a card over should not be a complex or even remotely fishy action, because it's one bit of a trick that a spectator can trust. And swapping a double for a 4for4 switch is stupid, in my opinion, as during the 4for4 switch, there is 'something the audience can catch'. You can make a double a lot fairer than a 4for4, just due to it's very nature.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results