Do magician's ever have a poker night where anyone who comes is supposed to cheat?

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
I play with my friends all the time and cheat. Using real methods however i do it as only a half method. One hand I may deal bottoms however with no specific cards on the bottom. On an other hand I may position the four aces on the bottom, and do nothing with them.

Feb 7, 2011
Iv always thought it would be a great idea to put jason england, daniel madison, paul wilson and all the greatgambling experts around a table. Maybe for a dvd. But the only way to do that would be for charity or something, and there just isn't enough money in this industry for charity.

Joey144

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2007
Bavaria, Germany
Iv always thought it would be a great idea to put jason england, daniel madison, paul wilson and all the greatgambling experts around a table. Maybe for a dvd. But the only way to do that would be for charity or something, and there just isn't enough money in this industry for charity.
talking about gambling experts and putting in daniel madison instead of steve forte?

Feb 4, 2008
Heck...Don't worry about Steve Forte'. Just plop Richard Turner in there and watch a blind man school all of them!

Anyways, I always wanted to do something like that. An environment where it was cool to cheat and if you got caught you just forfeited whatever you threw into that pot....not your life.

Sep 2, 2007
London
No offence meant, but just to avoid potential future embarrassment, Daniel Madison isn't exactly a gambling expert. He's got a con artist and card cheat performance persona, which is all good and a nice hook, but, in reality, he's not up there with Forte, Turner, or England.

And this has been tried. Dai Vernon, Larry Jennings and Tony Giorgio used to have poker nights where they would cheat, and they would forfeit the game if they were caught. I think it's definitely a good way to sharpen up your skills, especially if you're playing for money so there's some genuine pressure on you as there would be in the real world.

Apr 1, 2009
California
Mr Madison is for hire to come to your poker night. Just a little side note... He'll help you win some money I'm sure.

Jun 10, 2010
And I think anyone would be a fool to underestimate Mr. Madison!

I beg to differ, if you've ever seen Madison's chops. Good at magic and flourishing, but I daresay the whole cheating persona is a little overblown.

As far as this poker game goes... A nice combo at the table would be David Malek, Sal Piacente, Steve Forte, Jason England, and Tony Giorgio together. Not so sure about Giorgio's chops nowadays, however...

While we're on the subject, I remember hearing a story about Jennings, Vernon, Miller, Giorgio, and Wilson (Ron, not Paul) playing games at the Castle with the provision that they could cheat as long as they weren't caught. If caught, they were asked to leave the table and place all their money in the pot.

Fun fact about the table: Jennings once caught Giorgio holding out.

EDIT: Just realized my post didn't contribute much to the thread. That being said:

There's no point in cheating if everyone around the table knows they can cheat. Forget suspicion, you're walking into a game where you know the guys can deal smooth bottoms (or rather, know that they can't). If you're playing a home game, play for money.

If anything, when playing for money, you'd just learn more about the psychology part of cheating.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
DM USED to be a card cheat way back in the day, he wasn't that good because he got caught and ended up having the crap nearly beaten out of him. Which is why he quit and became a XCm'er and a sort of a magician. I would say that most likely today his card cheat skills aren't really up to par with guys who constantly use those moves and perform at the magic castle or other such places.

Jun 10, 2010
DM USED to be a card cheat way back in the day, he wasn't that good because he got caught and ended up having the crap nearly beaten out of him. Which is why he quit and became a XCm'er and a sort of a magician. I would say that most likely today his card cheat skills aren't really up to par with guys who constantly use those moves and perform at the magic castle or other such places.

Prove it.

As far as I can tell, he's just a guy who can do the moves. Not a cheat.

No. I don't have to prove anything to you.

Look up his Bio and do the research yourself.

Just because it's in his Bio or on his blog, doesn't mean any of it's true. Could just be a persona he has created and is using to sell his products and services. Not that that's a bad thing, lot's of magicians have stage personas, William Robinson pretended he was Chinese for his whole career! (That's the real name of Chung Ling Soo, for any of you trick monkeys who don't know their magic history).

Rev

Feb 4, 2008
I'd say Daniel Madison's gambling moves look fine. Just watch the video you posted. Now...he isn't in the same level as Forte, Turner, or England but then each of those guys have quite a bit more experience with those moves. Also, FYI, in a real game I think guys who shuffled, cut, and handled cards as smooth, fast and elegant as any of those guys would likely draw suspicion pretty quick. With real heat on I would assume(not claiming any actual experience here) that a guys with a slightly sloppier presentation might do better. I imagine a Ben Earl could adapt his style to real action but that is just conjecture? In the end what I like about gambling demos are the "flourishy" elegance to them. After all Gambling Demos are still "Entertainment" and people generally don't want to pay good money to see a guy handle cards with average skill. They want someone who looks like an expert. I'm sure a real gambler wants to look average.

Joey144

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2007
Bavaria, Germany
I'd say Daniel Madison's gambling moves look fine. Just watch the video you posted.
I did
and I saw a couple of magician mucks and bad false deals
Im just saying that daniel madison is a magician/flourisher and not a cheat, but then again I can only judge from this video

Feb 4, 2008
Read the rest of my post. More interesting question within it is if Gambling demos are just another form of flourishing.
Also...I couldn't see much finger flutter on his bottoms at all. They are way better than mine. lol. not hard to do that though. But maybe you can point some flaw about it that I am missing. Might help me improve mine.

Joey144

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2007
Bavaria, Germany
Also...I couldn't see much finger flutter on his bottoms at all.
you really watched the video?
He has alot of finger flutter, and he tries to cover it by rocking is hand up and down, which to me looks completly unnatural

Feb 4, 2008
Ahh...I see what you are talking about. The the hand rocking does cover a lot of that finger flutter. That and it is shot from a "friendly" angle. Never the less, on the video there isn't a lot of finger flutter. Not much to get excited about. Go watch "Best of the Bottoms." Even the See-Saw bottom has about that much flutter...though you won't need to rock your hands to hide it.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results