Don't You Hate It When...

Oct 6, 2007
THis has been talked about loads already...but id stil like my point to be heard loud and clear.

Dont you magicians hate it when people say "Pathetic! I know how to do that! It's so dumb/easy"..or something like that?

I mean..it frekkin annoys me. Great they know how it works, but its not like they can atually do it. Whenever people say it to me then i either say "Then don't watch" or something like "If it's so asy show me then"-i'm just rude to them about it.

Anyway..just wanted to let you guys know that i hate this kind of stuff ..what do you think??

P.S. I also wanted to add that alot of kids think that by knowing how the trick works, then they are great magicians. For example, i heard his guy say that his friend taught him some stuff and now he performs POORLY all the time. ITs disgraceful, he always get caught, but he doesnt bother to improve his sleights and presentation, or even learn the art well.

I just hate these things..haha :mad:

Zac

Oct 21, 2007
Appalachia
www.myspace.com
Easy

I deal with these people like this. Right after they claim to know how I did it, I square up my deck regardless of where I am in the performance and attempt to hand them the deck saying cool lets see you do it then. They invariably reply with, well just because I know how it's done doesn't mean I can do it. Then reply with "Oh! You can't do it, ok cool." Most of the time that's all it takes. And they will shut up. Generally the break in the action will bring their antics to the forefront and the rest of the audience will keep the single heckler in check. If you continue doing magic and they continue heckling, then put the deck up and say you can't do anymore because this guy knows how to do everything. Then without any prompting the people that were really enjoying themselves wanting you to go all night, will devour the heckler while you sit back and watch.

And if you're really feeling ballsy you can always do an effect on them like Stigmata, color changing deck, or ultimate transpo with a really good effect that you know you can pull off and completely baffle them they will shut up.

Sep 1, 2007
UK
Yeah I agree, those who think that an effect is stupid just because they think they know how it's done is silly... firstly, knowing a part of the method does not mean you know the workings... and secondly, what about all the subtleties and convincers that can only be known from countless performances

Also, we perform for our spectators... not fellow magi, and it's not surprising that a fellow magi can work out methods to others effects as they have the knowledge to do so, and know what type of signs to look for... wow, a magi worked out an effect... whoopsie doo...
Instead of appreciating the handling they diss it, even if the effect itself is amazing

Anyway, I agree with the topic creator

Aug 31, 2007
Imagination Land
:The same thing happens to me but once i was doing stigmata which i have been doing since it came out and this as***** comes back the next day and tells me he knows how i did "the blood thing " and so i ask how and he explains it correctly then i say HTF did u find out and so he said i downloaded it on Lime wire

conclusion : Someone please report this but stigmata is on limewire :(

If possible stick with effects that are only in books or on older DVD's when dealing with a know it all hecklers. The most popular effects today (see E's top ten list) are mostly on youtube, etc. and many layman or semi-magicians know how they are done. If you are doing effects for people that you know have no knowledge of the popular effects then it is fine to pull them out for those people.

But you are well served if you learn a handful of stuff from Art of Astonishment, Modern Coin Magic or some of the less know material that is out there. If you can find it on youtube or any of the other free sites on the web then so can everyone else. But I highly doubt any hecklers are reading AoA or Bobo, etc.

Typically though I will not do any magic for anyone that is annoying me or that I do not like. Since I do not preform for money I look at my magic as a gift that I am not willing to give them. When I was first learning magic I would do effects for anyone just to get the experience and practice but not so anymore.

Deryn

Elite Member
Sep 4, 2007
Tampa Bay, FL
www.instagram.com
Nathan Kranzo was here in the Tampa area giving a lecture. He said something that we've probably all heard yet failed to elaborate on.. ever start a trick and some wise@$$ automatically says "Oh I know that one"... like their is only one trick.... ever....

the semi-funny thing is some people actually STOP YOUR PERFORMANCE and say "let me show you a trick"... like you're going to be impressed. Granted maybe they will impress you (i haven't seen a trick that laymen do that has impressed me), it's usually one of 4 tricks...

3 rows of 7
Bank Robbers
The one where you place 4 cards clipped in a fist and hit them leaving one card in hand (Penguin calls it "Hitman")
The trick with the glide.. "Is this your card?" (one card down, one card on top)

I've had plenty of specs stop my (paid) performance of strolling magic just to impress me with one of these ever popular tricks.

I really can't explain why hecklers do the things they do... yelling out, "I saw that" or (in a case of my own) REACH INTO MY POCKET because I put my hands in my pocket after a trick. I wasn't palming anything, it was a natural habit.. yet for some reason this jack@$$ thought to himself "HE MUST BE HIDING SOMETHING IN HIS POCKET, I'LL REACH IN AND HAVE A LOOK."

Seriously, ok what IF they caught us? What then? It's like beating a game after playing the last level for 7 hours.. you finally did it and now you're like "Ok I did it.. now what?"

I honestly don't know why people do the things they do, but I just come back with a one-liner to embarrass them as everyone else laughs at them.

^_^

Sep 1, 2007
when someone says "that's easy!" reply with "so's your sister!"

unless of course the dude that says it is really big. then say "yes sir"

I deal with these people like this. Right after they claim to know how I did it, I square up my deck regardless of where I am in the performance and attempt to hand them the deck saying cool lets see you do it then. They invariably reply with, well just because I know how it's done doesn't mean I can do it. Then reply with "Oh! You can't do it, ok cool." Most of the time that's all it takes. And they will shut up. Generally the break in the action will bring their antics to the forefront and the rest of the audience will keep the single heckler in check. If you continue doing magic and they continue heckling, then put the deck up and say you can't do anymore because this guy knows how to do everything. Then without any prompting the people that were really enjoying themselves wanting you to go all night, will devour the heckler while you sit back and watch.

And if you're really feeling ballsy you can always do an effect on them like Stigmata, color changing deck, or ultimate transpo with a really good effect that you know you can pull off and completely baffle them they will shut up.
Really good advice there. I especially like the 'Oh! So you can't do it. Okay, cool.' line.

I honestly don't know why people do the things they do, but I just come back with a one-liner to embarrass them as everyone else laughs at them.

^_^

I think they do it because they want the attention that we are getting when we do our magic. They are jealous. The only solutions I know of is to try to somehow include everyone in your performance, share your lime light, so no one feels felt out or to just pack up and walk away when they start.

Usually in these situations I'm rather calm, and I don't tend to lose my cool very easily, except one time I lost it on one of my friends who for 4 straight tricks said that he knew what was happening and ruined it, so I snapped, just plain snapped. But, usually I just act calm and I say "Well done, no point in watching now is there." My favourite one though is when people say they see me do my pass haha. They're like "ZOMG!!!111!!1!111111!!!! I saw that." So I usually ask what I did and they'll say "You took the card and moved it to the top." So, I either DL and say uhh no I didn't or ask "Well how did I do it then." Usually if you ask someone what you did they're 90% of the time wrong, they'll say they saw something but, can't tell you how you did it. It makes me laugh, but thats how I usually handle it.

I also advise not to snap, it could end badly haha, and just try to be the bigger person.

-RA69

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results