Draven Reviews: Insane by Andy Nyman

This isn't going to be one of my typical reviews. I'm composing this on the run between shows in Los Angeles and El Paso, Texas so to not be the only one left out of the review loop by the time this product starts hitting everyone's mail boxes. ....which should be anytime last week (for those who ordered prelaunch) and this week for the European market.

If you haven't seen the trailer for Insane yet, go watch it. Drool, everyone else has. This effect is simple, pure, and strait forward. The only problem with it is it's over WAY to fast. This isn't an opener, and there isn't enough here to be a closer. It's a good middle ground effect. The other problem with it, and it's not obvious from the trailer, is that the spectator can't handle the cards once the trick is done. Ideally this would be a good parlor effect, or close up. A stage version could be made for those of you crafty people, and I'm sure it'd play just as good. Handling may be a bit dicey with a jumbo deck, but now I'm over thinking it a bit much. The gimmick that comes with the DVD is stupid simple to use, and while I can't go into details as to why, without exposing it, but if you're familiar with Nyman's work then you're probably already aware of the types of things he uses to make his magic happen.

The trick handles pretty smoothly, and just about anyone of any skill level should have no problems getting the moves down correctly. The biggest hurdle in the performance of this trick comes in handling the gimmick, trying to make it look natural. No one panic, it's not like the gimmick is impossible to work with, or impractical in any way.

The DVD instructs you how to make the gimmick and perform the trick. You've got about 30 minutes of tutorial to get you ready to perform the effect, and that's really probably 15 minutes more than what you should need. With as simple and strait forward as this effect is, that is also it's most critical negative aspect too; it's almost too simple. This trick won't get you maximum freak out reactions like what you'd hope for. Not unless you dress this thing up with some fancy patter. This trick demands that you sell the impossibility of it. If you don't do that, then this will please the audience as a cleaver puzzle but will fail to deliver that magic moment we all strive to achieve.

I'm grateful that the trick comes with several gimmicks, and the stuff you need to construct them. Otherwise you're going to be getting about 5 uses out of each gimmick before you need to re-create it. If you plan to work it a lot, as I have, then you're going to run out of the stuff they supply you with within a month or two. That's heavy use. At a casual pace it should last you much longer. The good news is both the gimmicks and what you need to make them can be bought cheaply at any magic shop, and Staples store.

Over all I'm rather glad I bought this trick. It's a great piece of magic, and it certainly will continue getting use as I do my shows on the streets and in close up. For the price, it's a good investment. I think you'll enjoy it, and get a lot of use out of it as well. Do yourself a favor. Order Insane today, and tell them Draven sent you.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results