Draven Reviews: Pyro by Adam Wilber

"Pyro is probably one of the funnest magic devices that I've ever played with and have no clue what to use it for in my entire life!"

This isn't going to be one of my usual reviews. Normally when I review a product it's because I own it and have had a chance to play with it extensivly before I write my review. I don't own Pyro, but I got to play with one a friend owns last night. I couldn't help myself. After I had the device strapped to my wrist I thrust my hands forward and yelled HADOKEN as I activated the switch. A second later a flare shoots forth and I had to have felt like I was 8 years old again on Christmas morning.

The device gets four charges per load, and works on remote switch. The remote has about a second delay between when it's touched and when the device fires. The range on the loads I played with were pretty short. I'm not sure if you can increase the range by adding more flash paper or not. The device itself is pretty durable, and pretty well made. It attaches to your wrist like a watch and is warn on the underside of your arm just below your palm.

I've got to be honest with you. This has got to be one of the funnest little toys I've played with in a long while. The idea of being able to blast off fireballs when ever I want is just inviting trouble. Trouble I'd be all to happy to get myself into. To which brings me to the biggest concern I have for this product. I'm scared sick kids, and by kids I mean anyone with the maturity of an eight year old regardless of physical age, are going to be using this more as a toy to throw fireballs at each other than a serious magic aperatus.

And while I'm on the subject of magical aperatuses I'm not sure how practical Pyro is going to be as such. It's not that this doesn't have potential. It's just I don't think people are going to buy it and use it for anything more than self amusement.

The price of the product just adds to my concerns. At $174 dollars a piece this makes for one expensive toy.

The jury is still out on the practicality. On one hand it's an automatic four chamber remote activated flash pot, but on the other this is something I'd expect James Bond to use not a magician. I don't know. I'm just stuck here scratching my head. Maybe I'll eventually break down and spend the $174 bucks and get one for myself. It's really fun to play with but what the hell would I ever use it on? That's a question you'll have to answer for yourself if you're thinking about getting one.

Feb 23, 2014
I agree. For me, it's a super cool toy... but magic-wise, it sort of is exactly as it seems to be. When I saw an uncut performance video, I thought COOL! But immediately assumed it was a device strapped to the performer's wrist that emitted the flash. And... it was, and it is. So, that's not a magic trick... it's a cool special effect though. In terms of magic applications, I haven't seen any that have been game-changing for me.

I could be happily proven wrong, but if so, someone could save $125 and just get one of these things.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results