Draven Reviews: The Souvenir by Henri White

Title: The Souvenir

Artist: Henri White

Producers: The World Magic Shop

Link: Available At Your Favorite Murphy’s Magic Dealer

Retail Price: $32.50 USD

Learning Difficulty: Medium

Notes: Some Assembly Will Be Required

A card with a hole torn out of its center magically melds onto a stem of a wineglass in such a way that it’s impossible to remove without destroying either the glass or the card.

Hot Patootie and bless my soul! What a freaking amazing card, but not a card trick! Henri White has come out of the gates swinging with this DVD and it’s a solid knock out. The Souvenir tackles a time honored question of “what to leave the audience with” by making a magical memory they can take home with them. In the field of close up, table hopping magic The Souvenir ranks king among choice routines to perform. This is more than a worker; it’ll be a reputation maker.

This routine comes from and belongs in the working arsenal of the strolling restaurant magician because that’s where you’re going to find a needed component of this routine most common place: A long stemmed wineglass. Close up performers with a dedicated show structure may also find this very nice to do as a closing act. Stage performers could easily adapt it to work on a large stage. Just about the only group that may have an issue with it is the street magicians just because wine glasses aren’t that common on the street (depending on where you go) and no one is going to want to carry one with them for the sake of this routine alone.

As for the effect itself it’s a solid master piece. The handling is open, and fair, and by the end of the routine as clean as you could get. The effect can be instantly repeated with another card, provided the “dirty work” was done in advance. But this really isn’t the kind of trick you would want to do again for the same audience anyways. You will need to create a special gaff card for each performance, but the DIY component isn’t that difficult and only takes a couple minutes. The hard part is getting thru making your first five or so until you get it down right.

The routine is very practical, and is basically as close as you can come to real world working magic tricks from a can as you can get. Just plug the DVD in, learn how to make the gaff, practice the moves and go make a name for yourself. It’s all been given to you, all you have to do is make it work. Angles on the performance end of the business can be a bit sensitive once you get past 180 degrees, but with a little body positioning and misdirection they aren’t a huge deal. The effect is worth it anyways.

I loved The Souvenir. I couldn’t help but think to myself “why did this get put on the market? This is a worker. If this was mine I wouldn’t let this get out!” Maybe I’m just selfish like that? I’ve got no clue. Anyways I digress. If you are looking for a solid piece of magic to do at your next strolling gig, then look into The Souvenir. You won’t be sorry.

When I give my product scores below I am measuring them on a scale of 1 to 10. 1 Being absolute the worst score possible, and 10 being the absolute best, making a score of five average. The four points that I grade upon is Product Quality, Teaching Quality, Sound & Video Quality and Overall Quality.

Product Quality: 8

Great trick, and good price.

Teaching Quality: 8

You’ll have to learn how to make the gaff over and over, but it’s well taught.

Video & Sound Quality: 9

Good clear sound and video.

Overall Quality: 9

This is a solid routine. It’s a worker. I highly recommend it!

Have a product you want reviewed? Want to see if it will stand up to the Draven Seal of Approval? Contact me directly at draven@williamdraven.com to find out how your product could be on the next Draven Reviews! Don't forget to like my blog where all my reviews are posted at www.williamdraven.wordpress.com.

Apr 27, 2015
Title: The Souvenir

Artist: Henri White

Producers: The World Magic Shop

Link: Available At Your Favorite Murphy’s Magic Dealer

Retail Price: $32.50 USD

Learning Difficulty: Medium

Notes: Some Assembly Will Be Required

A card with a hole torn out of its center magically melds onto a stem of a wineglass in such a way that it’s impossible to remove without destroying either the glass or the card.

Hot Patootie and bless my soul! What a freaking amazing card, but not a card trick! Henri White has come out of the gates swinging with this DVD and it’s a solid knock out. The Souvenir tackles a time honored question of “what to leave the audience with” by making a magical memory they can take home with them. In the field of close up, table hopping magic The Souvenir ranks king among choice routines to perform. This is more than a worker; it’ll be a reputation maker.

This routine comes from and belongs in the working arsenal of the strolling restaurant magician because that’s where you’re going to find a needed component of this routine most common place: A long stemmed wineglass. Close up performers with a dedicated show structure may also find this very nice to do as a closing act. Stage performers could easily adapt it to work on a large stage. Just about the only group that may have an issue with it is the street magicians just because wine glasses aren’t that common on the street (depending on where you go) and no one is going to want to carry one with them for the sake of this routine alone.

As for the effect itself it’s a solid master piece. The handling is open, and fair, and by the end of the routine as clean as you could get. The effect can be instantly repeated with another card, provided the “dirty work” was done in advance. But this really isn’t the kind of trick you would want to do again for the same audience anyways. You will need to create a special gaff card for each performance, but the DIY component isn’t that difficult and only takes a couple minutes. The hard part is getting thru making your first five or so until you get it down right.

The routine is very practical, and is basically as close as you can come to real world working magic tricks from a can as you can get. Just plug the DVD in, learn how to make the gaff, practice the moves and go make a name for yourself. It’s all been given to you, all you have to do is make it work. Angles on the performance end of the business can be a bit sensitive once you get past 180 degrees, but with a little body positioning and misdirection they aren’t a huge deal. The effect is worth it anyways.

I loved The Souvenir. I couldn’t help but think to myself “why did this get put on the market? This is a worker. If this was mine I wouldn’t let this get out!” Maybe I’m just selfish like that? I’ve got no clue. Anyways I digress. If you are looking for a solid piece of magic to do at your next strolling gig, then look into The Souvenir. You won’t be sorry.

When I give my product scores below I am measuring them on a scale of 1 to 10. 1 Being absolute the worst score possible, and 10 being the absolute best, making a score of five average. The four points that I grade upon is Product Quality, Teaching Quality, Sound & Video Quality and Overall Quality.

Product Quality: 8

Great trick, and good price.

Teaching Quality: 8

You’ll have to learn how to make the gaff over and over, but it’s well taught.

Video & Sound Quality: 9

Good clear sound and video.

Overall Quality: 9

This is a solid routine. It’s a worker. I highly recommend it!

Have a product you want reviewed? Want to see if it will stand up to the Draven Seal of Approval? Contact me directly at draven@williamdraven.com to find out how your product could be on the next Draven Reviews! Don't forget to like my blog where all my reviews are posted at www.williamdraven.wordpress.com.

This sounds great and Im on the fence with getting it! But I already can do the same sorta thing with O.C.L by Ben Williams...if it is a similar method I'd steer clear, but if there were some differences I'd most certainly be purchasing it.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results