Effects with huge angle problems... good or bad for the performer?

Are Effects that have big angle problems good or bad for the performer?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Aug 1, 2009
Do you think effects with very big angle problems cause the performer to be more creative with how they present an effect or do you think it will only hurt the performance?

Apr 27, 2008
Norway
That's an interesting way to look at things. I believe that if time is available, a performer can only improve.

Thus, with time and experience, the magician will learn to circumvent the angle problem whilst at the same time learning/improving his performance.

G

Feb 28, 2008
The way I like to think of it is like a road trip.

Imagine you had to drive from Toronto to Miami and you use google maps, you print out the route, and you know which way to... except, as you're driving along, you find that there's constrution on one of the roads and it's closed. What do you? Either you do something stupid like go through teh closed road or you find another route.

Same goes with performance. Sometimes certain slights just won't be sensible for a certain situation, so you have to use others.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
If you have to be at a very awkward angle while the magic is happening,then the trick doesnt sound like its worth doing. I honestly dont know of any super angular tricks other than color changes which are absolutely not worth the angle problem as they arent even interesting effects at all.They only serve as punctuation marks in a routine.
Can you give me an example of an very bad angle trick?

Aug 1, 2009
One of them is an effect i'm working on right now called....(until i come up with a better name) card through dollar. When doing this no one can be behind me. I think another one is fallen by Daniel Garcia.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
One of them is an effect i'm working on right now called....(until i come up with a better name) card through dollar. When doing this no one can be behind me. I think another one is fallen by Daniel Garcia.

Ooh,is that all? Pssh you have no problems there at all. Its the same old thing magicians deal with in any/many tricks.
Your audience should always be facing you anyways so why would they be behind you? Its all about audience management and knowing how to pick your crowd. Obviously not for all tricks your going to want to perform for 6 or more people. Same thing for fallen.Though personally I wouldnt perform fallen as I dont find it very interesting.

bd

Jun 26, 2008
San Francisco, California
Ooh,is that all? Pssh you have no problems there at all. Its the same old thing magicians deal with in any/many tricks.
Your audience should always be facing you anyways so why would they be behind you? Its all about audience management and knowing how to pick your crowd. Obviously not for all tricks your going to want to perform for 6 or more people. Same thing for fallen.Though personally I wouldnt perform fallen as I dont find it very interesting.

I agree with visualartist on this comment... As a performer, you need to be able to choose the correct "group" of people to perform to. Without that skill, you may end up performing to many audiences that 1) may not find your illusions gratifying, 2) may not be interested at all, or 3) may heckle and haggle you, causing self-embarrassment and loss of performance-esteem.

And as far as the Fallen (by Daniel Garcia) comment- I think this trick was introduced poorly - the effect itself is great and has many performance/story options and room for improvement/modification. However, I believe it was introduced to the community in such a way that it was subconsciously limited to the few performance ideas given.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results