EMPTY - Marcus Eddie :: Review

Nov 29, 2011
First post on the T11 forums btw, I used to just post and lurk around on the D&D forums, but now that those are down, this seems to be an appropriate place to post this review;

So Empty comes in the mail, along with 4 other things from the Penguin Deal.

Contents:
It comes in a small little box enough to hold a DVD and of course, the "Device"

DVD:
The DVD is very well produced, coming from KozmoMagic, the noise was not an issue, the video quality was great, but my only itch with the DVD is that the editing can sometimes be annoying (think webpage with too much flash). And there are times when he performs it, animation comes on, then he performs it again, then animation, and so forth. No real problem here.

Teaching:
The Teaching on the DVD is second to none, the trick itself is very simple to get down, and he goes into a lot of detail in just this one device, and it is clear that he is proud of it and that he really wants you to come up with your own ideas for it. So the teaching is great, there's a just normal explanation, a behind the shoulders view, and a part where he teaches you how to break in the box. Breaking in the box is extremely useful. He then goes onto more tips, all the angles for EMPTY, and some extra ideas, even a bonus trick (that I wasn't to fond of)

Gimmick:
The Gimmick was well constructed but just cause of the nature of the gimmick it is subject to wearing out very easily and pottentialy getting crushed. The DVD does not go over what to do when the gimmick breaks or how to rebuild it, but I feel like you would be able to reconstruct it by reverse engineering it a little bit.

Initial Thoughts:
I got this out of the box, and I thought wow. This is never gonna work. Well it was before I watched the DVD so I was really confused as to how to display this. Well like I said, the DVD is great and it teaches everything you need to know about the device in great detail. Don’t think device is gonna be some whole intricate thing with pulleys and extra things like that.

More thoughts:
This is great, for what it is. If you want to produce a deck from an empty box, this is the way to go. But of course there are the angle issues and a little bit of practice, and the fact that they cannot inspect the box. What you need to do of course, is to set yourself up for success. If you’re just a student at school, this might work for you, but it’s very 1 on 1. If you’re a walkaround performer, I don’t feel like it would be very practical, as other tables may be watching. If you’re doing a show and use this to open up your card act, this is terrific. The point is, much like the Pass, or Smoke, or Pure Smoke, or anything, like Rattled, it is the same with EMPTY. If you like the effect and you’re willing to deal with the Angle Problems then this is for you, because the effect is what it is. If you watch the demo, it might be obvious where the deck is, so if you want to deal with that, it’s a great way to open up a card act.

Final Thoughts:
If you like the effect, this is for you. Another point that’s important to make is that this is definitly not just limited to producing a deck. You can chice ange items, produce different items. Show an “invisible deck” and pull out a real deck that’s an ID. So there are many possibilities not just with cards. But I feel it would be very risky to ask an audience member to put a piece of paper in the box for the simple reason that it might expose the device.
I would never be able to do this at school, as there are always people around you. But at a show, it’d be a great way to start an act.

Pros-
DVD is great,
Device is well made
Super Easy

Cons-
The device will wear out due to the nature
I think it could’ve been even 5 dollars cheaper
Angles to look out for
Practicality issues with other tricks

Overall:
I think this is a great way to do this effect, and if you’re aware of the angle situation, but want to open up a show then this is a great thing to get. I would probably never be able to use it as I’m very much just stand up/ walkaround. But whenever I have a sit-down show I think this will be a strong way to pack a punch from the beginning.
7/10

First Post, and First Review, if you can suggest more things for me that'd be great. And if you have more questions on EMPTY just comment of PM me.
Thanks Guys,
Wonyoung

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results