Erdnase's Two Handed Shift (Getting the pinky in)

Dec 12, 2012
In Expert at the Card Table Erdnase describes the start position for his two handed shift thus:

Hold the deck in the left hand, the thumb on one side, the first, second and third fingers curled around the other side with the first joints pressing against the top of the deck with the little finger inserted at the cut.

From the illustration its clear that the little finger is intended to be slid inside the cut, rather than just a small piece of it's flesh making the break - as in a regular pinky break.

My question would be this: is there any way to get from a pinky break into this position (having the index finger inserted into the cut) easily? I can do it by bringing my right hand over, but this seems too much like loitering around the pack to me before undertaking the actual shift - which would draw attention and essentially say to the spectator 'HEY I'M ABOUT TO DO SOMETHING!'

So is there a way of doing so subtly? Or is it just a case of getting really fast at it?

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
You would be better off learning it from an actual mentor/teacher than the book. While the book itself is great, it can be a bit hard to understand at times.

I know Jason England has a download that teaches it and I know most people say that Richard Kaufmen has a really good DVD on the pass.

Dec 29, 2011
You just sort of do it, I think most people tend have to have their pinky fully inserted into the break before the off beat just before you execute the pass, rather than getting the pinky all the way in then immediately executing the pass.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
In Expert at the Card Table Erdnase describes the start position for his two handed shift thus:

From the illustration its clear that the little finger is intended to be slid inside the cut, rather than just a small piece of it's flesh making the break - as in a regular pinky break.

My question would be this: is there any way to get from a pinky break into this position (having the index finger inserted into the cut) easily? I can do it by bringing my right hand over, but this seems too much like loitering around the pack to me before undertaking the actual shift - which would draw attention and essentially say to the spectator 'HEY I'M ABOUT TO DO SOMETHING!'

So is there a way of doing so subtly? Or is it just a case of getting really fast at it?

The index finger of the left hand has little to nothing to do with a shift. I assume that was a typo?

I think you just need to practice it more. As your hands come together, shove your pinky in and do the shift. While your hands are apart, you can keep the break with just a flesh break. You can also widen the break and insert your pinky while your hands are coming together, but still apart, while hiding the break from the front.

Dec 12, 2012
The index finger of the left hand has little to nothing to do with a shift. I assume that was a typo?

Yes it was indeed. Sorry I was rather tired when I wrote this.

I've also heard that practising the shift with two decks rather than one will help as it will then make handling the one deck really light and smooth in comparison. Has anyone tried this? I had a go yesterday, but it seems I just ended up straining my fingers!

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I've done it. Start with a deck and a half, work with that for a bit. Then add ten cards and work some more. So on, until you've got two full decks. This should take some time, don't try to do it in a day. I spent over a year just getting decent at it. I didn't use it in performance for several months after that.

Dec 12, 2012
I've done it. Start with a deck and a half, work with that for a bit. Then add ten cards and work some more. So on, until you've got two full decks. This should take some time, don't try to do it in a day. I spent over a year just getting decent at it. I didn't use it in performance for several months after that.

I'll bear that in mind. I tend to stick to an overhand shuffle control if I am showing tricks to someone because I can do that whilst looking anywhere - I keep my pass practising for behind the scenes right now.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
While I do believe that getting a good pass is valuable, I don't think a pass is as necessary as it used to be. Use the move that does exactly what you need. These days, with modern cards and techniques, you don't usually have to move that many cards to pull off a trick.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
The Pass is best used with lots of Direction of attention else where (as Tommy Wonder would say). Also, Erdnase would often say to change the moment that you do the move. One other thing is that you should focus less on speed right now, and focus more on technique and smoothness. The speed will happen later on. Right now, just slowly take your time.

As far as controls go, there ARE much better ones out there. But the Two handed shift is often best for things like resetting a stack deck, Poker, and possibly a few other things. But for the control of a single card it is kind of overkill.

Dec 12, 2012
The Pass is best used with lots of Direction of attention else where (as Tommy Wonder would say). Also, Erdnase would often say to change the moment that you do the move. One other thing is that you should focus less on speed right now, and focus more on technique and smoothness. The speed will happen later on. Right now, just slowly take your time.

As far as controls go, there ARE much better ones out there. But the Two handed shift is often best for things like resetting a stack deck, Poker, and possibly a few other things. But for the control of a single card it is kind of overkill.

What other methods would you recommend learning for controlling a single card?

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I usually use a variation of the side steal I came up with. But I would be shocked if I was the only one to discover it.

Dec 12, 2012
Thanks for the responses, I've been working on ways to injog cards as a means of control, simply because it works really well. You can move your fingers freely and even table the cards in between, so you can leave as much time as you want between the injog and the cut or however else you want to control the card and I'd imagine its almost imperceptible if done in the right manner.

T

TheCardEater

To control one single card, use:
-the crimp : you can let the spec shuffle but you need to cut to bring the card to the top
-doublelifts: riffle center double or the fan double lift, with these devices, you can insert a random card instead of the selected card
-switches (not the top and bottom changes): if properly executed, you can show a random card (the spec will think it isthe selection) going in the center clearly and continue the trick without shuffling
hope that helps

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results