Essential Reading on Presentation

Dec 12, 2009
London Uk
Hey guys,

Few guys may know (tinychat) I am writing a little pdf on some basic ideas of presentation and a full list of books that would help in making a better magician presentation wise. Yeah not doing that any more.

So if you want to work on your presentation more, I have compiled a list of books, all I have read and used. Now I am not the most experienced magician, but I am an experienced drama student..right from a first steps drama school to where I am currently at, university. So a lot of things I and drama students use can be used in magic such as, Direction, Proxemics and character.

Again all of these books I have read, if you have any suggestions post them up.

First, my personal favorite:
Magic And Showmanship By Henning Nelms
Henning Nelms is some one I strive to be, a theatrical director and a magician.
In the book he covers many subjects in detail such as Assisstants, mystery, misdirection,direction,speech and characterization. If you want to get at least one book of the list, get this one. Its cheap in price, but the contents are invaulable. There are several tricks in the book such as pulling a rabbit out of a hat, but they are in there to illustrate the points Nelms is trying to make.
Where to find:
Pick out your favorite magic shop and search, till you find it, you will find it eventually.

Acting for magicians
When I was going to get this book, I thought it would be a waste, as I already do a lot of acting....WRONG. Not only did I use the things I learnt in the book for my magic but also for my drama work, that is how good this book is. If you want to work on you and your character being ONE, even if you are "just yourself" (which is a lie, but that is for a different time), you would be able to think as your character. Covers subjects such as playing the part of your character, speaking as your character and looking like your character.
Where to find:
I have not looked for this book out side davenports magic shop,if you can't find it any where else, then just get it from davenports, they ship international.

Card college V2 and Expert Card Technique

I know you are thinking WAIT I THOUGHT YOU SAID BOOKS ABOUT PRESENTATION?!?!?
I have and the ending of this great book is all presentation stuff. Some of the best I have seen for card magic presentation,but it can all be applied to any type of close up magic. Giobbi talks about the role of the performer,style,comedy and a lot of GREAT stuff on misdirection.
If you want a cheaper alternative to card college get Expert Card technique the ending is also filled with great presentation work.
Where to find:
Both books are pretty much everywhere.

Magic By Misdirection -Fitzkee

"Every sleight should be covered by misdirection"
Words I have heard and read from many of the great minds of magic. Have they explained misdirection, most no, but Fitzkee does.
I loved reading this book, even though its around 30-40 years old, just some common sense from the reader and it can be applied to modern magic.
Covers such topics as attention control, disguise and interpretation.
Where to find:
lybary has it for 9 dollars but if you are like me and loves holding actual books, then all I could say is GOOGLE, if you can't find it anywhere, hit up davenports (I am not advertising!) they have it and they ship international.

Maximum Entertainment by Ken Weber

I did not think I would add this book to the list but I have, I just looked over it and its AMAZING. I would recommend getting this after the above books, because it focus more on just being a magicians like rehearsing and practicing, if you get what I mean. But it still has some great stuff voice, body and spectators reactions. So this would not only help you becoming a better magician from a technical side (practicing) and a performers side.
Where to find:
I am so sorry, if you can't find it, hit up Davenports they ship international.
GOOGLE!

Strong Magic & Designing Miracles

Both these books are amazing, they have techniques you can use to make your tricks, MAGIC. Also these books are filled with theory on presentation and magic which is great to get you thinking about your presentation.
Not the cheapest, but these are two of the most modern books in the list, so if you always complain how magic and showmanship or magic by misdirection is outdated go ahead you now have no excuses get both of Ortiz's books.
Where to find:
Google.....and *cough* Davenports *cough*

Other essentials:

Not books but they are essential:
Lectures:
If there is any magician lecturing near you, go JUST GO, even if you don't know him/her, because a magician won't lecture unless they are experienced otherwise no one would ask the inexperienced magician.

Saturday night roundtables,interviews and blogs:
These are a perfect opportunity to ask a magician about presentation you could learn so much. So forget about prizes, you should be grateful we live in a world where you are just an email from asking your favorite magician about your art. Blogs are nice too, I recently saw a member post a vlog on storytelling in magic, only a couple of views for the thread. I was disappointed, no matter who it is, see it or read it. If you disagree, have a mature debate.

Debates:
When I say a debate not a Yo Momma fight. Just maturely discuss your views and take in to account others views. Have some common sense too. If some one starts bashing you then just don't talk to him/her, they don't deserve a good discussion on our art.

Thank you for reading, and do not get all these books at once, buy one focus on it then get the next. But don't forget what you read, so always look back on the books.

Again Thank you for reading, I hope I helped.

Sep 24, 2007
I loved "The Books of Wonder" by Tommy Wonder. Not purely on acting (in fact there's very little information on that topic dispersed throughout the two books) but the advice that he does give are gems from somebody who actually went to acting school

Excellent list! I'd like to throw in that my mentor, Denny Haney will always recommend reading biographies, such as Roy Benson By Starlight, The Silence of Chung Ling Soo, and Cardini: The Suave Deceiver. Benson By Starlight might be his highest recommended book he carries. All the books on your list, plus the ones I've named can be had from Denny's shop directly at www.dennymagic.com. Great thread!

Dec 12, 2009
London Uk
Excellent list! I'd like to throw in that my mentor, Denny Haney will always recommend reading biographies, such as Roy Benson By Starlight, The Silence of Chung Ling Soo, and Cardini: The Suave Deceiver. Benson By Starlight might be his highest recommended book he carries. All the books on your list, plus the ones I've named can be had from Denny's shop directly at www.dennymagic.com. Great thread!

Thank you,

and yeah, I forgot about biographies. :(

Dec 12, 2009
London Uk
You completely forgot Fitzkee's other books. He has SHowmanship for Magicians and The Trick Brain.

I know about showmanship for magicians but I thought it was ethier Magic and showmanship or Showmanship for magicians, I found that Nelms' book is slightly better, I wanted to make the list just down to the essentials.

But yeah that is also an excellent book, The Trick Brain is not about presentation, so I thought that won't fit in, it is still an excellent book.

Showmanship for Magicians by Fitzke is amazing. Covers all the ares of perfoming arts and what makes the best acts, well, the best.

Also, if you have anything vernon, read it. He gives subtle tips throughout his books that make your magic THAT much better

Sep 1, 2007
Some amazing titles that have not been mentioned:

-The Magic of Ascanio: The Structural Conception of Magic (Arturo de Ascanio)
-The Magic Way (Juan Tamariz)
-The Five Points In Magic (Juan Tamariz)
-Absolute Magic (Derren Brown)

Dec 12, 2009
London Uk
Like I said I wanted to strip the list down to the essentials. While for example Absolute magic is an amazing book, its rare and adding it to the list is just teasing the reader.

The other reason I chose Nelms over Fitzke, is Nelms has a lot more experience in the field of theater and drama, again both great books.

Jul 8, 2008
Don't you find it a little limiting though? If someone browsing has never seen anything on performance and I never brought it up, wouldn't that be like cheating them out of some great stuff? A little variety can do some good :p There is also a Pete McCabe book out there too that indirectly relates very directly (it makes sense, don't worry) to presentation and showmanship.

Dec 12, 2009
London Uk
Don't you find it a little limiting though? If someone browsing has never seen anything on performance and I never brought it up, wouldn't that be like cheating them out of some great stuff? A little variety can do some good :p There is also a Pete McCabe book out there too that indirectly relates very directly (it makes sense, don't worry) to presentation and showmanship.

Its not cheating out the beginner in presentation out of good stuff but just kind of giving him/her a guide to which books he/she should buy first, then when reading books like Magic and showmanship or Acting for magicians etc they would have these guidelines to decide if the book is good or not.

I could go on for days giving you good books on presentation, so narrowing it down to those books is actually helping rather then giving and endless list of good books.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results