eXile - A different review

Sep 1, 2007
Hey guys, just got this in today, and I must say...WOW. Great effect. I wasn't anticipating much considering all the so so reviews, so it was a very pleasent surprise. I can't say its something I'll use everyday, but it also isn't something I can say I will never use. I'll go through the ins and outs, and you can make up your mind.

What they say- // X Marks This Spot
From the award-winning mind of Mathieu Bich comes eXile - the effect that kick started the latest David Blaine special with a bang. eXile takes place entirely on the spectator's own hand. Three small X's are drawn on someone's open palm. A quarter is placed in the center of their hand.

Slowly, you slide your fingers over each X, and they visually, instantly vanish. No sign of ink to be seen. Nothing. When the quarter is lifted, there are three perfect X's directly in the center of their palm.

+ Featured on David Blaine's ABC television special "Dive of Death".

The effect is taught in depth by Dan White, senior magic producer for David Blaine. Shot on location in the heart of New York City, USA. Comes with everything you need to learn it - and perform it.

eXile was performed across the country by David Blaine and his creative team in preparation for the Dive of Death special. It has been tested from coast to coast. From close-up performances in Paris, France by Mathieu Bich to the streets of New York - this is eXile. Read the reviews.

What I say- I unlike some people on this forum really like this effect. It uses something that NO ONE can think of, and best of all its real clean. I have a couple things I don't like, but more things I do like. Lets get it started!

I wasn't a big fan of the dvd that came with the effect. Honestly I think it was a bit of a waste. The effect could of been taught in a booklet or something. Don't get me wrong, Dan teaches it extremly well, I just think that the effect is simple enough to be explained in text. My second problem with the dvd is they don't really teach enough. They teach you how to do the trick, but Dan doesn;t really go into how to make yourself clean at the end. I had no problem figuring out how, but a beginner whos knowlege in sleights isn't that broad wouldn't be able to make this effect the best it could be. Last problem with the dvd is the performance section was very lacking. One performance, not a good one, and it was for a friend, which in my opinion isn't a great spectator for a dvd. They should of taped a couple street performances. I can't think of a reason that they wouldn't.

Thats enough with the dislikes, on to the likes.

The trick looks REALLY REALLY good. It looks cleaner in person than it does on video, if that makes any sense. Its quite easy to do, and ALMOST everything you need is included. I'm pretty sure everyone has the thing not included in their junk drawer, and if they don't then it will cost like 2 bucks. Theirs one more thing that is needed but I'm pretty positive you also have that. If not, again, a trip to Rite Aid and your good to go.

You have 100% angle safety, and the misdirection for the first move is GREAT. Your doing half the trick literally right in front of them without them thinking a thing. Everything is examinable granted you know a little sleight of hand. Nothing major, in fact just a simple move will let you hand everything out, although it is not taught in the dvd. Anyone with basic magic knowlege will know what to do, but as I said before, the beginner might have trouble.

The pocket managment of this effect is better than most are saying. You CAN carry it around all day no problem, granted of course that you have a pocket. Nothing big to put in your pocket though. One thing needs to be handled a little gentley, but as long as don't like fall down on your side and you put all your weight on your pocket, you will be fine.

Some people are saying that their pens don't write well. I haven't had any problems with my pen. It didn't write at first, but one good shake and the ink started flowing.

I think this is a very good effect. As I said above...wil I use it every day? No. Will I use it at all? HELL YEAH! Out of 10, I'd give it an 8.

http://www.theory11.com/tricks/exile.php

Sep 1, 2007
regular.

This effect isn't for everyone. If your a crazy sleight machine that hates gimmicks this isn't for you.

D

Deleted member 2755

Great review Creeper. I agree with you on the pocket work... People act as though you need 20 things or some complicated set up. You really don't.

As for sleights, you really don't need them. People won't even think about the dirty item. It won't be something they will immediately think about. Presentation is key. However, I do understand that you would want to end clean as would I. Simply switching your dirty objects for clean ones on the offbeat should help you out.

I'm surprised you didn't bring up the bonus handling in your review. In my opinion, its better than the original. You don't end dirty either. There is nothing to examine.

-Doug

Sep 1, 2007
I didn't really like the bonus handling. Don't know why, just didn't.

I came up with a VERY powerful version. It can go two ways. Either you have the coin in one specs hand, and draw the x's on anothers specs hand. Have them vanish and appear in the other specs hand. Or you can have the coin in your hand, and draw the x's on a spec. Have the x's vanish and appear in your hand!

D

Deleted member 2755

I didn't really like the bonus handling. Don't know why, just didn't.

I came up with a VERY powerful version. It can go two ways. Either you have the coin in one specs hand, and draw the x's on anothers specs hand. Have them vanish and appear in the other specs hand. Or you can have the coin in your hand, and draw the x's on a spec. Have the x's vanish and appear in your hand!

Yeah, the bonus handling isn't for everyone. Depends what you are going for in this effect and what your overall style is.

I do like your version. Requires some good audience management too. Having the X's appear on your own hands though I don't like too much. It doesn't matter how much you show your hands empty. You make the X's appear and you will still have that astonishment, but if you want the REAL astonishment this effect can bring, I just think making the X's go on someone else's hands are better. That's why I like your handling for making the X's appear somewhere else and the bonus handling. The spectator NEVER FEELS that pen point touch them! This leaves them with an impossible thought. You know that first essay in Art of Astonishments? How new files are created and Paul said that they will make that file that says "I don't know how it was done, but it was a magic trick." (Not an exact quote, but something along the lines of that.) This is one of those exceptions. They cannot say you wrote X's on their hand witout noticing. Impossible. Its just... that astonishment. That file would be the "I don't see how it can be done. I don't think its magic, but he could not hat written something.... I'm having a brain fart." file.

eXile is one of the most powerful effects I have seen. I plan on doing both handlings on the DVD and I'll give your handling a try as well.

-Doug

Sep 30, 2008
Pittsburgh
This is for people who are complaining about the pen writing problem.

Think about when you're practicing. (Writing on your hand) Then think about the method. Then think about why your pen isn't writing. Ta Da.

-Kevin

P.S. If that's too much exposure feel free to delete this. I tried to be as vague as possible

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results