First Night as a House Magician

If this is your first time doing restaurant magic, then what you stand to make in experience is a lot more valuable that what you stand to make in cash. For a first timer, your fee is very fair. After you have learned the ropes, THEN ask for more - with the SECOND restaurant you book.

Always take care of the people who gave you your break!

Brad HEnderson

That's exactly how I look at it. :)

Anthony Bass

Sep 2, 2007
i think that David stone's DVD would be good, considering everyone else said it and because most of his magic is shown in a restaurant.

Considering it is a 5 STAR RESTAURANT I think you should get paid more than 30 $

i think that David stone's DVD would be good, considering everyone else said it and because most of his magic is shown in a restaurant.

Considering it is a 5 STAR RESTAURANT I think you should get paid more than 30 $

Well, i'm only 16 years old (well....about to be), so really, money isn't an object right now, for me it's publicity that's my main focus. And they'll probably give me some sort of a raise once they see that the customers really like me. Who knows?

Anthony Bass

Dec 14, 2007
If you price yourself cautiously and over deliver, you will always be invited back. If you price yourself aggressively and under perform, you have lost the job and every potential job those contacts could have brought to you.

So, I for one, think you are making the smart choice!

Good luck.

KatieKenner

that girl who posts videos sometimes / t11
Sep 1, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
www.myspace.com
Awesome!

I'm glad to hear that you did so well! Just wait, this will probably be the beginning of a great thing for you. Especially if they are open on Holidays and have busy Friday nights too.

Just remember you are there for the MAGIC. You are only 15 and something starting at $10 an hour is a great deal. Its more about the experience and the exposure right now than anything else.

Also, make sure you have nice, clean and neat business cards made. You never know who is going to walk into a place like that, and may need a strolling magician for their next event, THEN you can charge way more than $10 an hour if you want.

Congrats Anthony! I'm sure you will do great.

Katie

Awesome!

I'm glad to hear that you did so well! Just wait, this will probably be the beginning of a great thing for you. Especially if they are open on Holidays and have busy Friday nights too.

Just remember you are there for the MAGIC. You are only 15 and something starting at $10 an hour is a great deal. Its more about the experience and the exposure right now than anything else.

Also, make sure you have nice, clean and neat business cards made. You never know who is going to walk into a place like that, and may need a strolling magician for their next event, THEN you can charge way more than $10 an hour if you want.

Congrats Anthony! I'm sure you will do great.

Katie

Thanks Katie!

And exactly, hte thing i'm focused on is the experience and the publicity. I have alot of business cards made up, and i've learned a few effects that result in handing them out so that I have a reason for giving it to them, instead of just saying "Here, take my business card."

Thanks again!
Anthony Bass

In response to your pm, I thought it be better if I answer here instead, as I completely missed this thread.

------------------

Congrats Anthony!

But a few questions....why try to change up your routines every night? What good does it do?? I've been doing the same 3 routines for over a year at RR....throughout that year, I've changed my patter, technique, tweaked them, and it's starting to evolve into something truly special...something I'm proud of. The only way to get that is to keep performing the same stuff, over and over and over and over and over. x2.

Secondly, get away from just cards. Pick up a set of sponge balls and learn a good routine. Lay people go head over heels for sponge balls, it's just incredible.

The best piece of advice I can give you is to treat every table like a mini audition for another gig. Treat every customer like Donald Trump that is considering hiring you. Make them feel important, and have a good personality. If they like you, they'll like what you do (even when you screw up...trust me, you will drop cards and you will totally butcher routines every now and again. Happens to the best of us).

Learn to entertain them, and not just doing tricks. Card tricks are not entertaining. I repeat, card tricks are not entertaining. It's up to the magician to make them entertaining....once you learn how to be an entertaining person (trust me...this will take a while. I sometimes feel like I'm just not there myself either), everything you do will be entertaining.

As for card tricks I do...

ACR
Tampa Opener (Jim Swain)
Sand Trap (Brian Miller)
Weighted Aces (Greg Wilson)
I.D.

That just about does it for the cards...I also have a one-coin routine, and a 2 coin routine with changes, transposition, and a lot more (routine is inspired from Eric Henning...check out his stuff. I HIGHLY recommend it! ).

Anyways, if you have anymore questions, feel free to shoot me an email or something. Once again, congrats!

-Steve

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results