FIVE - The First Review

Marcus Eddie

theory11 artist
somebody can tell me the best dimension of elastics for this effects ? I always have trouble find good elastics (sound strange but here i find only mixed bags with poor quality ones)
Thanks

The bands I use are made by Alliance, which I get from Office Max. Also, instead of using a paper clip to hold the bill together, I have the spectator fold over the ends which locks the bill on the band. Try that and have fun with this!

Sep 2, 2007
The bands I use are made by Alliance, which I get from Office Max. Also, instead of using a paper clip to hold the bill together, I have the spectator fold over the ends which locks the bill on the band. Try that and have fun with this!

thanks Eddie, can you plz tell me the size also ? I'am searching every store here in italy and i found olny crappy mixed bands and 99% are very small and not very "elastic" . Man i have to buy rubberbands online :D

Sep 20, 2009
Is anyone having a hard time finding the right Tic-Tac box for Fresh Scent?....

i know it's just a regular Tic-Tac box.. i can't really explain the problem without "exposer"

Marcus Eddie

theory11 artist
thanks Eddie, can you plz tell me the size also ? I'am searching every store here in italy and i found olny crappy mixed bands and 99% are very small and not very "elastic" . Man i have to buy rubberbands online :D

The size I use is 19, but 16 is also good. Experiment with the different types of rubber bands so whenever some one hands you two random bands, you will be able to determine if you can do one of the effects from FIVE, or if a different band effect will be more appropriate. Always be ready!

Nov 7, 2009
Whilst you guys are argueing over crazy mans handcuffs or raw linkage as number 1. I will be performing SLR :) I think SLR is the best linking rubberbands routine

Jan 15, 2010
Normally I'll do crazy man handcuffs and finish off with SLR. but now, I believe I'll do raw linkage and slr cause RAW LINKAGE IS CRAZY.

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
Personally, my favorite effect from the DVD is Fresh Scent. No iffy moves, very clean, very practical, and it's straight up visual. The only thing that I wish Marcus should have done is to introduce different ways to make the coin penetrate the container. I've used the strike vanish and it's crazy visual. I hold the coin on my middle finger, and with enough practice you could make the coin penetrate the box and still look like it's on your middle finger. I've done this to some people and they freaked. Very great effect, and I'm still getting that mint change down, it's pretty hard to get smooth.

Also, Stairway is pretty decent, it comes in tied for second with Raw Linkage. Raw Linkage I think requires a little too much setup, I think if it was simplified more it would have been my number one go to effect. And in Stairway the noise of "you know what" gets a little bit of suspicion in my opinion. But overall all of the effects on the DVD are great. I want more Marcus Eddie!!!

Cheers,

Casey

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 8, 2007
Whilst you guys are argueing over crazy mans handcuffs or raw linkage as number 1. I will be performing SLR :) I think SLR is the best linking rubberbands routine

I agree. SLR is killer. I normally use SLR for gigs, but rarely if I'm just going out. I like having a strong impromptu linking rubberband routine for casual performances.

Jul 13, 2008
Would it be possible for me to see a full performance of Raw Linkage? The description is amazing enough, I just want to see it to believe it.

Mar 25, 2009
Mint Condition

Effect:

You predict the number and/or color of the tic-tacs dumped into the spectators hand.

What I think:

The effect is pretty straightforward. They dump out mints, you predict how many, or if it is the type of tic tacs with 2 colors per box, you predict something like "2 orange, and 3 whites". The effect didn't strike my interest too much, however the method made me love it. The method is so clever, I almost pooped myself. The set-up takes a few minutes to make, but it's a one time thing. And it is so fun to perform, I giggle inside because of the brilliant method that is fooling people. There is also a bonus trick by Garcia which you dump out some white mints in your hand, pick on out, put it in your mouth, it changes colors, and the rest of the mints in your hand change colors. Same method, but I like the idea, and the change in the mouth is cool.

Difficulty: Self working. Though you may need some audience management skills.

Overall:

Love this trick. I love the method more than the effect though. You may get some people figuring it out if you do not use your words correctly. This is all explained in detail on the DVD. 7/10
ehmm tic tacs are white
orange.png

Feb 3, 2008
Matt, personally I did not find Raw Linkage to be "the best impromptu linking band effect" by far. While it is very visual, it just doesn't look fair in my opinion. Plus, I think it would be near impossible to register without differently colored bands, which to me is a bit impractical if you are doing a small rubber band routine. Having to switch between bands for a link and, say, the Crazy Man's Handcuffs is fishy in my opinion. No doubt that it is a good effect, but the best linking band out there it is not.

C

I would definitely have to agree. My vote goes to Missing Link.

Also, for anyone out there who feels like being helpful, I am having a huge issue with Stairway. I simply cannot get it to work the way it is supposed to. I can be more specific in private, if someone who does this effect is willing to contact me, that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks fellow magi.

Feb 5, 2010
I would definitely have to agree. My vote goes to Missing Link.

Also, for anyone out there who feels like being helpful, I am having a huge issue with Stairway. I simply cannot get it to work the way it is supposed to. I can be more specific in private, if someone who does this effect is willing to contact me, that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks fellow magi.

i can agree raw linkage isnt the best linking bands effect. its a great effect i use it alot but my vote goes to slink. its a great add on to crazy mans and raw linkage. and its a quick 2 second set up.

Oct 23, 2007
i love all the effects on this dvd, ..esp stairway, love the fact that everything about it is simplified, and the last bit when the bill melts all the way back down to the bottom rung, i have been using it, and loving how magicians who do dan harlans similliar effect get blown away by this

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results