Davis West

Elite Member
Dec 26, 2013
I have been looking around and seeing some reviews here and there for Hondo Chen's "Flap 2.0". I wanted to post a detailed review. I bought this recently and have made a few successful flap cards since. I also own the original Flap download to make comparisons.

It is important to say that you will have to go through some cards in order to make the perfect flap. Even if you are comfortable (like I am) making flaps and card gaffs, this will take some trial and error. It took me a few times to really get down the process.

Also, follow Hondo's EXACT WORDS and don't change a thing. He knows what he's doing and if you try to cut corners or do something else you will not make an as-good flap. He says everything for a reason. If he says to make a quadruple knot, you make a quadruple knot. When tying a knot for a crucial part I accidentally twisted the thread in the incorrect way slightly and the entire flap didn't work. It isn't super difficult to follow his words, but you should seriously pay attention.

There are a few things from this download that made it worth buying. First, he supplies you with a pdf that allows you to perfectly score the card down the middle. He says you should use his exact tools, but I could only find his blade on his website. The flap may not be as perfect, but it still works amazing if you use a standard, thin cutting blade. Second, he teaches a brand new flap principle that makes the thread almost invisible. You sit there watching him prepare the thread and you think, "What on earth is that for?" Once he puts everything together it is nothing but pure genius. You could have a completely blank card turn into a number card and you wouldn't see a thing on the blank card from the point of view of the spectator. Full disclosure, the thread still is slightly visible but not visible enough to be spotted by a spectator. Finally, he teaches a way to help split cards involving packaging tape. This isn't a major part of the download, but I have used this technique after splitting my cards when making other gaffs to make them more seamless.

Should you buy Flap 2.0 even though you have the first flap project? I think if you have the money this does nothing but contribute to flap making. Sometimes companies produce a 2.0 version without any major changes but this is way different. Also, if you don't own either version I would still recommend picking up the original flap project as well. They say the flap cards are thinner in this new project, which is true, but anyone who has the first flap project knows that the extra thickness makes the flap card end perfectly flat.

Anyone who is even mildly interested in making gaffs needs to pick up this project. If you want a more advanced version, Hondo sells a version with all the tools you need plus the download on his website.

If anyone has any questions about flaps don't hesitate to message me.

Reactions: Theorist19
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results