Flourish - Time filler or something more?

Sep 5, 2008
UK
Having spend my last two years of practice time on flourishing i noticed one thing. Flourishing is not appreciated by audience as i expected it to be. For example: i can show first dvd dan-and-dave staff and some new multi cuts. The coments i get are "Its looks the same" "wow thats a fancy manner to cut the cards" and so on.

How much do YOU use flourishing in your routines? WHat do YOU use them for?

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
Flourishes can be a way to show that you know your way around a deck of cards. I usually do a false cut, an in the hands shuffle and an ace production to start my close up set. This sets you apart from a run of the mill hobbiest. Other than that I use flourishes to accentuate my magic, things like color changes, Daryl's hot shot and the boomerang card all help to make your magic a bit more visual and interesting.

Vinnie C.

cardistry moderator / t11
Aug 31, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
It's so funny that you post this, because there was a 6-page discussion going on about exactly this topic here:

http://forums.theory11.com/showthread.php?38842-Strong-as-an-oak

We got into the nature of manipulation as an art, the issues with stand-alone manipulation as it exists right now, how to improve it, what you can do to stand out as a manipulator with your spectators and on video, etc.

It turned out to be a fun and interesting thread - worth a read!

Best,
Vince

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Having spend my last two years of practice time on flourishing i noticed one thing. Flourishing is not appreciated by audience as i expected it to be. For example: i can show first dvd dan-and-dave staff and some new multi cuts. The coments i get are "Its looks the same" "wow thats a fancy manner to cut the cards" and so on.

How much do YOU use flourishing in your routines? WHat do YOU use them for?

I don't use them. I'm firmly of the school of thought that flourishes detract from the feeling of magic when the two are mixed.

The other thread that Vinnie linked to is full of my thoughts already, so I'll just sum up: Flourishing is esoteric. People who are not schooled in flourishing will not understand the differences in the complicated moves because they can't follow them.

Vinnie C.

cardistry moderator / t11
Aug 31, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I don't use them. I'm firmly of the school of thought that flourishes detract from the feeling of magic when the two are mixed.

There are, of course, examples of very successful presentations that mix the two - such as Cardini, Jeff McBride, and others. This depends entirely, however, on your persona and the presentation of your show. If you're going for something more purely mystical - flourishing typically doesn't fit in well.

The other thread that Vinnie linked to is full of my thoughts already, so I'll just sum up: Flourishing is esoteric. People who are not schooled in flourishing will not understand the differences in the complicated moves because they can't follow them.

Which is why a good manipulation show isn't just move after similar move. It combines elements of plot, music, choreography and has a consistent "narrative" as far as the individual moves performed are concerned.

Of course, we discussed this at length in the other thread. :)

Best,
Vince

Feb 10, 2013
I don't use them in tricks ever, but I do a simple Sybil or the Werm just for fun while sitting down or waiting for something and it often attracts attention to start doing a card effect. I am not big into it though, and don't know a lot of the advanced moves.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results