Flying with magic?

Hey guys, i'm taking a trip to go visit some friends soon, and I would like to take along some magic to show them, so my question is, what would be alright for me to onto an airplane? Airport security is kinda tight these days...I know I can't take flash paper, but what else should I watch out for? Would cards be ok?

Thanks in advance.

-Demon

Aug 31, 2007
Long Island/New York
Deck of Cards - You can do some intense paper cuts to people. They're considered a weapon.
lol seriously just take everything that seems ok. cards, loops, sharpie(shank a mothaa), half dollar, and as I'm going on I'm thinking to myself that I have no idea what tricks you do so I wouldn't know what you would bring, rubber bands, etc.

What do you usually perform with?

Deck of Cards - You can do some intense paper cuts to people. They're considered a weapon.
lol seriously just take everything that seems ok. cards, loops, sharpie(shank a mothaa), half dollar, and as I'm going on I'm thinking to myself that I have no idea what tricks you do so I wouldn't know what you would bring, rubber bands, etc.

What do you usually perform with?

Cards for the most part, that's why I asked about them. But I was thinking about bringing some IT, Ringtone by Adam Grace, some Swami gimmicks, and some balloons for Pressure....Maybe a few other things too...

Sep 1, 2007
Hey guys, i'm taking a trip to go visit some friends soon, and I would like to take along some magic to show them, so my question is, what would be alright for me to onto an airplane? Airport security is kinda tight these days...I know I can't take flash paper, but what else should I watch out for? Would cards be ok?

Thanks in advance.

-Demon

One possibility is to simply ship certain items ahead of you to your destination.

bd

Jun 26, 2008
San Francisco, California
Cards for the most part, that's why I asked about them. But I was thinking about bringing some IT, Ringtone by Adam Grace, some Swami gimmicks, and some balloons for Pressure....Maybe a few other things too...

I am not sure what ringtone requires; the airport will check any and all cell phones or such devices.

Everything else seems fine.

I once flew back with 36 decks, 200+ rubber bands, and a few sharpies. No questions. Funny looks, but no questions.

Feb 9, 2009
Reno, NV
They might be iffy with the Swami Gimmick.

Are you actually gonna be performing on a plane or you just wanna bring things?
Because Pressure would be weird as heck in an airplane.

Bizzaro

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
Vegas
www.smappdooda.com
Anything that is not liquid, flammable, or sharp and pointy is fine. Put it in yer carry on and it'll go right thru the scanner no problem. I have gone thru with tissue forceps before and they didn't notice.

Nov 23, 2007
NC
Flash paper is considered a hazardous material and is always prohibited. Anything you have that is sharp or any liquids, gels, pastes or aerosols over 3.4 ounces (100ml)put in your checked bags. All else can pretty much be in your carry on bag.
They dont care about your cards or little gimmicks, their looking for dangerous items. Make sure if you have anything fragile or worth a lot that you keep it with you in your carry on as sometimes checked bags get lost and are often handled pretty roughly by the aircarrier.

Feb 9, 2009
Reno, NV
Sorry to revive an old topic, but is Universal Impression good to be checked in?

I'm not really sure if the "reset" item is needed(the one that DOESN'T come with the product). I'll have the whole thing checked-in.

May 12, 2009
Avoid taking anything like the Raven or M5. Cards are definitely fine though.

I never really had any problems with carrying my M5. However, it was in my check in luggage. I did get asked about what it was when I brought it to Hawaii, so I just told them what it was but not what it was actually used for.
But in Hawaii, US customs treats it like you're coming from/to another foreign country. So it's somewhat tight there.

Thanks in advance.

-Demon

True Story:

March this past year I was invited to my friends wedding in Florida (I live in California) as his best man. The bride to be asked me if I would entertain the wedding party after the ceremony as a favor to her. Since I didn't want to check my props as luggage, I took them as a carry on. When I got to the airport TSA security checkpoint I told the officer that I was a traveling Magician, and to "be prepared" as the carry on briefcase contained all my props and act. I told the officer if they had any questions what so ever that I would be more than glad to explain in a private room, and submit to additional searching if needed. They passed my box through the X-ray machine and only questioned the apparent bottle of Ketchup that I had inside. I briefly told them it was fake, and they let it pass without physical inspection. Actually the only thing they heckled me for was my walking cane, which passed through with a managers approval.

I boarded my flight and after having sat down I opened my case to remove my reading material. It was then that I realized just what all I had in that case. I had packed: 1 butterfly knife (illegal to own in California), 2 bottles of Zippo fluid, my fire wallet, 2 fire torches, 1 Gatorade bottle of white gas, 1 animal trap, a bag of pop corn, handcuffs, my swallowing razors, vanishing ketchup bottle, appearing cane, collapsing sword, and a few decks of playing cards, needle and thread.

Needless to say, the 80 year old grandma behind me in the TSA line was the one selected to be pulled out of line, wand and fully searched. God I love our security in America.

Here's the reality for you. I got lucky, you may not. Check anything cargo that you're not sure will fly. Pardon the pun. Cards, and coins you'll be okay with. Any prop that looks funny (especially under X-Ray), either check cargo or spare enough time to deal with possible security. Do not check carry on any liquids, blades, or pastes. You can usually check your airline of choices website to see what materials they restrict. I'd basically pack anything questionable as checked luggage, and have the bags marked as fragile. You may want to consider taking out an insurance plan on your props too- in case they get lost in transit.

Hope that helps.

Draven

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results