Forces in the middle of an effect

Oct 23, 2014
Hello all!

I recently got back into magic again after several years away. I was dismayed to find that the ellusionist community is much less active than they were when I left, but I am glad to have an alternative community to come to at Theory 11!

Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone could offer advice or thoughts on what to do when a force goes wrong. Most of the time, forces happen at the beginning of the trick, and if it fails you can simply do a different trick, but there are some effects where you are already in the thick of it when you make the force. If the force goes wrong at that point, what can you do?

I look to David Blaine as an example of this. He is constantly using forces to enhance his effects, and often the moment of truth comes at a point where there is no going back. Often I don't even know what to think except, "wow, he's got balls."

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
My card to wallet is always a good out. If they can name their card I can find it and move it into place. Usually the card to wallet is about as powerful as most things I would use a force on anyways.

Feb 18, 2014
Well you could do two things-

1. Use a one way force deck ( do a deck switch )- so there is no possible way to mess up, you literally can not mess up lol.

2. Use a fool proof force- such as the riffle force, cull force, etc... One force I really like that I use if I need a foolproof force is the mirror force by patrick kun, it looks exactly like the classic force maybe even a little better because no timing is needed.

Hope this helps!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results