Gaff

Dec 22, 2007
HEY GUYS WHATS UP! I LOVE THIS COMMUNITY ITS SO CARING AND LOVING and kinda crappy.....

Ok, on to my problem. so i got this special assortment deck from a magic shop. and there are gaff cards in it, but they're red. and half of my regular decks are red and half are blue. i dont want to just use a just red deck for performances because then the blue decks would be useless.

would it be alright, if i had a blue and a red deck, and i did my routine with each(gaff tricks with the red, normal tricks with blue)? becuase my routine consists of a few gaff tricks and a few impromptu ones, so i could do a gaff trick, then take out my other deck to do some normal ones. its probably a dumb idea but watev.

Aug 31, 2007
Just because I'm in a good mood today, I'll actually post on these forums. I have the same thing; I get all of my gimmicks and gaffs in red deck format, whereas when i mass order my Rider Backs they come half and half of red/blue. What's the easy answer? Why don't you just practice with the blues and perform with the reds? It's the logical solution when you get half/half of colours. And if your practice decks wear out a lot faster than your performance decks, just use a couple of the reds as practice ones until the ratio evens out again.

Alright...I'm new to the magic world that surrounds me, but not to the great faces that I see when I perform. If someone would be so kind as to fill me in on some of the lingo in the forums...like gaff, and any others that most people would not recognize...thanks.

Aug 31, 2007
Hence why I recommended you to come to the Ellusionist forums in my PM to you... you don't get useless postings and insults like that over there. Nothing against you, Dummyisdumb, but grow up.

Anyways, you'll the lingo more and more over the next month or so until most of it becomes familiar, but there's no harm in asking. In this case, a gaff is a card that is modified from the original. An example would be a card that has the back design on both sides, or faces on both sides. For more examples, look up the Ultragaff and the Gaff decks on Ellusionist.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 22, 2007
Just because I'm in a good mood today, I'll actually post on these forums. I have the same thing; I get all of my gimmicks and gaffs in red deck format, whereas when i mass order my Rider Backs they come half and half of red/blue. What's the easy answer? Why don't you just practice with the blues and perform with the reds? It's the logical solution when you get half/half of colours. And if your practice decks wear out a lot faster than your performance decks, just use a couple of the reds as practice ones until the ratio evens out again.

but then my blue decks would be wasted, because i cant practice gaff tricks with em. maybe i wont do routines, just one trick per group or person so i can use both........:(

May 10, 2008
I think I get where you are coming from. I am an owner of a black tiger gaff deck, but i am also in love with the guardians. So the question is, black tiger with gaffs? or Guardians without gaffs(which are undeniably cooler)? I say it depends on the routine you are doing, if you plan on doing a distorting reality routine (I.e. pip matrix) then you would stick with your red cards, not even mentioning the blue ones. same goes the other way around, if you think your spectators are gonna want to manhandle the deck when your done with it, switch to blue.

But another key point on deck switching is to do it VERY CASUALLY. Don't even mention youre doing it, just talk to them when you are and they won't suspect a thing.

Dec 22, 2007
I think I get where you are coming from. I am an owner of a black tiger gaff deck, but i am also in love with the guardians. So the question is, black tiger with gaffs? or Guardians without gaffs(which are undeniably cooler)? I say it depends on the routine you are doing, if you plan on doing a distorting reality routine (I.e. pip matrix) then you would stick with your red cards, not even mentioning the blue ones. same goes the other way around, if you think your spectators are gonna want to manhandle the deck when your done with it, switch to blue.

But another key point on deck switching is to do it VERY CASUALLY. Don't even mention youre doing it, just talk to them when you are and they won't suspect a thing.

now i dont know what to do, maybe ill sell all my blue decks and get red ones.

if i dont, should i just do one trick per person or group so i dont have to worry about switching decks?

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results