Gambler vs Magician

Mar 29, 2017
Although there are MANY versions of this trick...is anyone familiar with the version in which it appears that you start by shuffling the cards face up into face down?

Mar 29, 2017
Although there are MANY versions of this trick...is anyone familiar with the version in which it appears that you start by shuffling the cards face up into face down?
I actually figured it out...It is Optical Reversal by Tim Ky (Not sure if last name is correct spelling)

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
I actually figured it out...It is Optical Reversal by Tim Ky (Not sure if last name is correct spelling)

Close. The move is known as the Tenkai Move or Tenkai Ishida's Optical Revolve or Optical Reverse.

Some sources / effects using the Tenkai Optical Revolve include:

"Face to Face Fantasy" in Martin Gardner's book Twelve Tricks with a Borrowed Deck (1940)
"Tenkai's Reverse Card Mystery" in Tarbell Course, Volume 1 (1941)
"Color Stunner" in The Magic of Paul Harris (1976) / Art of Astonishment (1996)
"Truthful Triumph" in Jennings '67 (1977)
A variety of effects in The Card Magic of Nick Trost (1997)
"Last Man Standing" in John Bannon's Dear Mr. Fantasy (2005)

As applied to a "Triumph" type effect the first application would be published by Martin Nash in "Any Second Now" (1977) although Jenning's "Truthful Triumph" was developed in the late 1960.

I'm not aware of it being used in a Magician v. Gambler routine... however, Paul Harris's Gambler vs. Mentalist vs. Magician effect in Art of Astonishment, Volume 1, uses a similar move in the middle.

Mar 29, 2017
Close. The move is known as the Tenkai Move or Tenkai Ishida's Optical Revolve or Optical Reverse.

Some sources / effects using the Tenkai Optical Revolve include:

"Face to Face Fantasy" in Martin Gardner's book Twelve Tricks with a Borrowed Deck (1940)
"Tenkai's Reverse Card Mystery" in Tarbell Course, Volume 1 (1941)
"Color Stunner" in The Magic of Paul Harris (1976) / Art of Astonishment (1996)
"Truthful Triumph" in Jennings '67 (1977)
A variety of effects in The Card Magic of Nick Trost (1997)
"Last Man Standing" in John Bannon's Dear Mr. Fantasy (2005)

As applied to a "Triumph" type effect the first application would be published by Martin Nash in "Any Second Now" (1977) although Jenning's "Truthful Triumph" was developed in the late 1960.

I'm not aware of it being used in a Magician v. Gambler routine... however, Paul Harris's Gambler vs. Mentalist vs. Magician effect in Art of Astonishment, Volume 1, uses a similar move in the middle.
Thank you so much for the response...the effect I was working on was Martin Nash's "Title Bout" which was also performed by Michael Ammar on ETMCM. It uses this move as well!

Reactions: DominusDolorum

DominusDolorum

Elite Member
Jul 15, 2013
Canada
Thank you so much for the response...the effect I was working on was Martin Nash's "Title Bout" which was also performed by Michael Ammar on ETMCM. It uses this move as well!
That is my favorite Gambler vs Magician effect of all time! I bought the DVD JUST for that one trick!

Reactions: Bodini
Mar 29, 2017
Are you familiar with a routine in which the performer is telling a story...about a man who starts to shuffle face up...then when he spreads the deck a queen is face up in the middle...he then proceeds to tell the audience that the man actually dealt face up into face down (using this move) and when he spreads the deck there are 2 queens face -up...he then performs a zarrow shuffle and explains that the cards need to be spread face up...and in the middle are 4 face down cards...the aces!

DominusDolorum

Elite Member
Jul 15, 2013
Canada
Are you familiar with a routine in which the performer is telling a story...about a man who starts to shuffle face up...then when he spreads the deck a queen is face up in the middle...he then proceeds to tell the audience that the man actually dealt face up into face down (using this move) and when he spreads the deck there are 2 queens face -up...he then performs a zarrow shuffle and explains that the cards need to be spread face up...and in the middle are 4 face down cards...the aces!
I am not familiar with it but it sounds impressive. Also, try not and give away too much about the effect. The exposure rules are pretty strict. I've been dinged a couple times with that. If you know the name of the effect (or if David does, because he is omniscient) let me know!

Mar 29, 2017
I am not familiar with it but it sounds impressive. Also, try not and give away too much about the effect. The exposure rules are pretty strict. I've been dinged a couple times with that. If you know the name of the effect (or if David does, because he is omniscient) let me know!
sorry did not know I gave away much...where can I find the rules for future posts? I have the routine in my library...but unfortunately I forgot the name of it...that was why I was asking.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results