Genesis by Andrei Jikh, right handed?

May 23, 2010
Hi there,

I checked out the video and notice he does most of his cardistry right handed. I want to confirm that everything has to be done right handed or is it best to do it left handed.

Clarify.

If you are left handed, do it exactly as Andrei in the dvd. If you're right handed, hold the deck in the left hand. You'll see the reason why you should hold the deck in your left when your right handed if you deal the cards in a poker game.

Oct 14, 2009
by right handed i assume you mean that he is a lefty. yes, he is a lefty (and so am i with cards...i still write with my right hand) and therefore the dominant hand is the right hand. it is not at all an issue to reverse the instructions to suit whichever hand you prefer to use. i liked the dvd a lot because i didn't have to think about reversing the actions because they were already suited for me. but once again, it is not at all an issue to reverse the actions.

timsilva

Elite Member
Nov 18, 2007
California
timsilva.com
The way it is taught on the DVD, it doesn't matter if you hold the deck in your right or left hand. Most of us hold the deck in our left hands, opposite way that Andrei & JB do it.

Typically, most left handed people (those who write with their left hand) hold the deck in their right hand.

Typically, most right handed people (those who write with their right hand) hold the deck in their left hand.

I am personally left handed, but I also hold the deck in my left hand. I am the exception to the statistics.

No matter how you hold the deck (unless you hold it with your feet, your elbows or your nunchucks), you should be able to learn all of the material on Genesis just as well as someone who holds the deck in the hand opposite as you do. It's really not that complicated - go ahead and buy it. ;)

On a side note, according to cognitive psychology, females will have a harder time processing 3D concepts than men, so they are at a slight biological disadvantage when learning cardistry. Especially if they have to switch between left and right handed ideas when learning.

I hope that helps. :)

Peace,
-Tim

May 10, 2010
I can write with both hands, though mostly with my right, but i usually hold cards in my right hand. Similarly, I deal cards with my left hand in a poker game.

May 23, 2010
On a side note, according to cognitive psychology, females will have a harder time processing 3D concepts than men, so they are at a slight biological disadvantage when learning cardistry. Especially if they have to switch between left and right handed ideas when learning.

I hope that helps. :)

Peace,
-Tim

HAHAHAH women...

Jun 6, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
In the DVD, Andrei does state he is a lefty so he does mostly everything with his right hand. So, just switch the grip he has in his right hand to your left hand. Then when you get good with your left hand switch to your right hand and become ambidextrous :)

Feb 17, 2010
Moscow, Russia
In VCL media player there's an option that allows you to flip the video horizontally, and now Andrei becomes right handed :) And you can easily learn the moves. I use this a lot, I'm sure that helps!
- Alexander

Jun 10, 2010
In VCL media player there's an option that allows you to flip the video horizontally, and now Andrei becomes right handed :) And you can easily learn the moves. I use this a lot, I'm sure that helps!
- Alexander

VCL media player? What about Windows media player or quicktime on a computer? (I usually watch magic dvd's on the computer, rather than the tv)

Feb 17, 2010
Moscow, Russia
And plus you can do whatever you want with the video (flip it, apply filters to it). And no, you can't do it in Windows Media Player. When I watch the tutorials made by left handed people (I'm right handed), I always use that option to flip the video horizontally.

May 10, 2010
And plus you can do whatever you want with the video (flip it, apply filters to it). And no, you can't do it in Windows Media Player. When I watch the tutorials made by left handed people (I'm right handed), I always use that option to flip the video horizontally.

omg you can do that?! I've been using VLC for quite a while now and I never tried this! Thumbs up mate. I hold the deck in my right hand and I would enjoy watching tutorials that allow me to follow better. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 17, 2010
Moscow, Russia
omg you can do that?! I've been using VLC for quite a while now and I never tried this! Thumbs up mate. I hold the deck in my right hand and I would enjoy watching tutorials that allow me to follow better. Thanks!
You're always welcome, I just found this possibility and shared it with the community.

May 10, 2010
Deal with it. I'm right handed but use cards as if I'm a lefty. So the mayjority of DVDs I watch I have to do a mental flip of instructions to learn it properly. So just deal with.

J.

I already am. I am ambidextrous when writing, but use cards as a lefty, just like you do. I'm just expressing my thanks towards someone who has made life easier for me. Perhaps even for you. How is that not dealing with it?

I understand that, but allot of people go have a sook about people teaching them cardistry/magic with the opposite hand. It just annoys me. Im fully aware of video flipping technology. But I think people just need to suck it up and deal with it.

J.

May 10, 2010
I understand that, but allot of people go have a sook about people teaching them cardistry/magic with the opposite hand. It just annoys me. Im fully aware of video flipping technology. But I think people just need to suck it up and deal with it.

J.

Of course that is perfectly understandable. I am not complaining, but sometimes it does get on people's nerves when they can't visualize something in an opposite way. True, we just need to accept it and just put in more effort into trying. Honestly the fact that learning has become more complicated has only motivated me to practice harder. The fact that video flipping has now found its way into my world has simply allowed me to increase my learning efficiency. To those who think that learning because of opposite-hand problems" is tough, be sure to check out video flipping. The only downside to it is sometimes when text appears on screen, well, you have to flip it, and then flip it again. Troublesome much! But of course - "suck it up and deal with it".

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results