Going Viral?

Heya Guys!

Just a quick question to all you marketing wizz kids out there!

What is the best way to go internet viral when it comes to posting videos?

I'd quite like to get booked from them so as nice as it is posting them on Theory11, it isn't exactly going to get me any work, and since I'm based in the UK it limits my chances even more.

It'd be great if I could get some advice!

Thanks!

Simon_Magic

Sep 26, 2011
Cornwall, UK
Lots of other Magic Forums that allow you to upload videos of yourself

You could always upload to Youtube which seems to be the way most videos 'go viral' sometimes over night.

I personally hate Youtube for many reason so I would never catch your video there to be honest but it has amazingly high traffic counts and your video may be seen by a llot of people but the question is, are they the right audience for you?

I'm sure if you posted a video with a title that stands out from the crowd of you performing something new / innovative, shocking, amazing even and let people know where you are and that you are available to book / hire or whatever you may create some intrigue.

Other than that just spread the word - Twitter, Facebook, other magic forums or even local adds.

Do you have any videos anywhere?

Good luck

Jan 29, 2008
Many top marketers have tried to figured out a formula for going viral and nobody has succeeded so nobody on this forum can tell you how to make a video go viral.

There are some elements of a viral video that are:
-make people laugh
-cutting edge
-surprise
-uplifting message
-create the "cute" response (kids, animals, etc)
-tell a great story
-they're short (less than 3 min)

Those are common elements in a viral video.

If you want to book gigs then a viral video isn't the right path. You want to create as many videos as you can and include keywords that your target market searches for. Basically, you want to flood your market with content about you. And the videos have to be videos of you performing for the audience you want to hire you.

So if you want corporate gigs then you can't have tons of videos of you walking around in the street performing magic. You would have to have videos of you in front of crowds wearing suits at a dinner event, etc. If you want kid shows then you have to be seen performing at kid events.

Flood your market with videos instead of trying to create one video that will go viral.

Apr 2, 2011
Chicago, IL
If you're really interested, take a class in social networking. In short, people are connected. 80% of connections stem from 20% of the population. The key to going viral is to get that 20%. It's quite hard to do, but not impossible.

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
Benji,

Very solid advice.

Here are some things I would like to add - do not try and make a video go viral.

This is simply because 99.9% of the time it won't happen. It may get a couple of views, but it will fall short of your expectations and you won't feel confident about it.

I would follow Benji's advice and flood your market with videos for different target audiences. What you can do after you make these videos is to post them on your website, which people will visit once you give them your business card. Also, go around and do some busking around town. Carry business cards with you and do Business Card effects to hand them out. The more you hand out, the more traffic you receive to your website, and the more gigs you will be booked for. Also, do some free shows if you can and pass around business cards there to people in attendance. Word of mouth travels fast!

Do some local ads and flyers to post around town. Make every body look at yours instead of everyone else's. Go to a professional advertisement strategist if you can to make it more effective. Before you want to go viral, get started with people in your area first. This is key to expanding your business as a performer.

In terms of business cards, make sure it is professionally designed, and have different designs for each different market you want to target. Have a sleek card for corporate gigs, a fun and exciting one for kids shows, etc. You get the idea.

Bookings don't just happen overnight from one YouTube video. You have to hustle and hustle to get where you want to be. Take Steve Cohen for example. He didn't just get a call from the Waldorf Astoria Hotel to perform magic. He had to hustle by performing hundreds and hundreds of shows to get his name out there to get noticed.

The more effort you put in to your work, the more you will get out of it. Hope this has helped!

As everyone has mentioned before, unless you happen to have something so uniquely awesome that no one has seen it before... it won't go viral overnight. I personally, am very involved in YouTube and I have actually gotten quite a few gigs from there. Social networking is your friend. Post on facebook, twitter, google+. etc. Also if you decide to go the YouTube route, be consistent with making good quality videos. If you start gaining people who watch your videos, esp in your part of the world (YouTube has a feature telling you where in the world your viewers/subscribers are) you can use that to your advantage. Get them to spread your videos around. I got a walk around gig one time just because one of my viewers saw I was in Florida, had a cousin who was running an event nearby, and sent him my video.

P.S. Did you ever get my e-mail about your logo?

Hey Guys!

Thanks for all the help! I just wanted to know as I am reinventing myself business-wise before its too late (different stage name, nice new website etc) and just really want it to kick off to a good start by posting things around and getting viewed by people. I have put up a few video's on youtube but just wasn't sure the best way to get them out to people.

Zenn, I didn't mate :-( I have managed to get someone else to do it for me but thank you anyway for offering your services :)

Thanks again guys!

Simon_Magic

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results