Good Reads for the Proficient Performer?

Heya Guys!

I've been professional in magic for a while now, and really fancy getting a few new books on the Art, but have no idea which books to get. Of course I already have the stuff most of us start out with (Card College, Royal Road, Modern Coin Magic etc) as well as works from a few others (Daniel Madison, Dee Christopher, Sean Fields, Tom Stone, Andrew Mayne etc) so I was curious if anybody has any recommendations of good, different fascinating reads?

Thanks!

Simon_Magic

May 18, 2008
Man, that's an excellent question (and I like the title). :p Just off the top of my head:

Rune's World by Rune Klan is one of the BEST that I've ever read.
Secret Agenda by Roberto Giobbi is a fantastic read that will help you everyday.
Approaching Magic by David Regal has some of the most incredible work that I've ever seen.
and of course Art of Astonishments are all great.

I'll do a bigger, better list when I have more time.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
That list is the best I've seen when everyone compiled it. The last book I read was called "Born Standing Up" by Steve Martin which is actually a good quick read.

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
I know it's on the list that Rick posted by The Books of Wonder are some of the best books on magic. It is like an applied course of framing magic, and good to read along side Maximum Entertainment.

Bizzaro

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
Vegas
www.smappdooda.com
That list is the best I've seen when everyone compiled it. The last book I read was called "Born Standing Up" by Steve Martin which is actually a good quick read.

There are two books that appear to be missing I would add which is Foundations Foundations Eberhard Riese and Audience Management by Gay Ljungberg

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Jon's list (that Rick linked to) is excellent and I have most of those books. Some additional books to consider:

Mostly Cards
Impossibila - John Bannon (available at L&L as an e-book)
Dear Mr. Fantasy - John Bannon
One Degree - John Gustaferro
Jennings '67 - Larry Jennings / Richard Kauffman
The Collected Works of Alex Elmsley - Stephen Minch (e-book from L&L)
Relaxed Impossibilities - Ken Krenzel / Stephen Minch
Paper Engine - Aaron Fisher
The Secrets of Brother John Hamman - Kauffman
Carneycopia - John Carney
The Card Magic of Nick Trost
A Book in English - Woody Aragon

More Than Cards
Vortex - Tom Stone
Maelstorm - Tom Stone
Random Acts of Magic - David Acer
Gift Magic - Larry Haas
Moments and DesTroyers - Troy Hoosier
The Best of Slydini - Karl Fulves
The Magical World of Slydini - Karl Fulves
Verbal Magic - Juan Tamaritz

Theory / Presentation
Mastering the Art of Magic - Eugene Burger
Transformations - Creating Magic Out of Tricks - Larry Haas
The Magic Mirror - Robert Neale and David Parr
Magic Matters - Robert Neale

Periodicals
The Jinx - Theodore Annemann (available as an e-book at Lybrary.com)
Apocalypse (four volume set containing all of the magazines)
Collected Almanac - Richard Kauffman

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Verbal Magic, The Magic Way, Five Points of Magic, and I think he's got a new one coming out called The Magic Rainbow. All of these are by Juan Tamariz.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Thanks for the many additions David. I'll probably put them on one big combined updated list and post it as a sticky or something.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Verbal Magic, The Magic Way, Five Points of Magic, and I think he's got a new one coming out called The Magic Rainbow. All of these are by Juan Tamariz.

I think The Magic Way is out of print as is Sonata (which isn't on your list). I read that Sonata was going to be re-released when the Magic Rainbow is released.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results