Good video camera for online posting

Aug 24, 2015
I'm looking for a good video camera to record some of my effects and possibly post them online. What is a really good camera for this?

Jun 18, 2019
West Bengal, India
I'm looking for a good video camera to record some of my effects and possibly post them online. What is a really good camera for this?
TLDR; What's your budget? Are you going to learn/do you already have some photography/filming knowledge? Do you want to be able to colour correct and colour grade?

To be very frank, your phone's good enough.

There are also apps like Filmora Pro which can help you if you want different colour profiles (think log, flat) for your video, but they don't really matter if you don't want to colour correct (and if you want to do that, you'd have to consider getting editing software). Not really for the run-and-gun magician who just wants to shoot magic videos and post them online.

If you still want to spend some money and buy a camera, then photography or film-making subreddits/forums will be a much better place to discuss this. However, you'd have to be more exact with what you want your camera to be able to do and also, your budget. Every camera out there is ''really good'' now-a-day's.

Remember, if you want a non-phone-camera, then you'd need to understand the basics of photography and film-making. Because using such expensive cameras without knowing them, on auto-mode without a good grasp of the camera's capabilities, and without wanting to post-process a teensy bit (at least), you're actually better off with the camera on your smartphone. They have outrageous abilities, even the ones in a mid-price range. There are even short films being made with smartphones (though they use the smartphones of the really high price ranges)!

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
TLDR; What's your budget? Are you going to learn/do you already have some photography/filming knowledge? Do you want to be able to colour correct and colour grade?

To be very frank, your phone's good enough.

There are also apps like Filmora Pro which can help you if you want different colour profiles (think log, flat) for your video, but they don't really matter if you don't want to colour correct (and if you want to do that, you'd have to consider getting editing software). Not really for the run-and-gun magician who just wants to shoot magic videos and post them online.

If you still want to spend some money and buy a camera, then photography or film-making subreddits/forums will be a much better place to discuss this. However, you'd have to be more exact with what you want your camera to be able to do and also, your budget. Every camera out there is ''really good'' now-a-day's.

Remember, if you want a non-phone-camera, then you'd need to understand the basics of photography and film-making. Because using such expensive cameras without knowing them, on auto-mode without a good grasp of the camera's capabilities, and without wanting to post-process a teensy bit (at least), you're actually better off with the camera on your smartphone. They have outrageous abilities, even the ones in a mid-price range. There are even short films being made with smartphones (though they use the smartphones of the really high price ranges)!

What she said.

Even low end cameras on the market currently are miles better than they were even a few years ago. Your phone's camera is very likely all you need. Filmora is what my wife uses to edit all her videos, she tells me it's pretty easy to use and does all the things you'll likely need. There's a phone app as well as a desktop app.

Also - keep in mind that it's more the framing and editing than getting the absolute 'best' gear. Casey Neistat is a great example here - he generally goes with mid range point and shoot cameras or his phone to do his videos. But they're well edited and framed.

Two things you absolutely need to keep in mind, though - lighting and audio.

Either use good natural lighting, or get some studio lights. You can get cheap lights from the hardware store - get at least two to eliminate shadows. Filming during the day near windows will also usually be decent quality lighting.

Get a decent audio recorder, or dub music over the video - particularly if you're using your phone. You can record audio with your phone, but trying to do so while you are also recording the video will likely result in poor audio quality.

It won't matter how good your performance is if they can't see you clearly or the audio quality is poor.

Reactions: MohanaMisra
Jun 18, 2019
West Bengal, India
Either use good natural lighting, or get some studio lights. You can get cheap lights from the hardware store - get at least two to eliminate shadows. Filming during the day near windows will also usually be decent quality lighting.
True.
For some reason, bad visuals are forgiven somewhat, but bad lighting coupled with bad audio? No Sir.

Also, I've used Filmora (the free version) to edit some small videos for my family here and there, and it's really capable. It also comes with stock sound effects. I can imagine that the Pro version will be brilliant.

However, what I mean was Filmic Pro (a video recording app) and not Filmora Pro. That's what's providing the different colour profiles. I'm sorry for the mess up, heh heh.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results