Gorilla Change vs. VCR Change

Jun 10, 2010
I'm looking into getting one of these color changes, but they're both only ranked "Intermediate"

Can somebody rate both of these out of 10, and compare the angle sensitivity? I heard the vcr change is very angle sensitive and hard to perform live, but i'm a little more interested in that.

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
I'm looking into getting one of these color changes, but they're both only ranked "Intermediate"

Can somebody rate both of these out of 10, and compare the angle sensitivity? I heard the vcr change is very angle sensitive and hard to perform live, but i'm a little more interested in that.

If you say "only" intermediate, I assume you have experiences with color changes (based on your word choice). so with that, I don't recommend any of those 2 changes. I would recommend an on the deck change if your work is more in the hands and off of the table. If you are more on the table, then it's okay to get an off the deck change.

Revolver Change by Kelvin Chow is my favorite color change, and it's available here at the theory11 1-on-1 section for $6.95. It's the best $6.95 I've ever spent in a while. I highly recommend this one. To me, it's not Advanced. If you have experience with the secret mentioned in the 1-on-1, you shouldn't really have a problem learning this. Andrei goes over the secret sleight just in case you don't know it (which I am SURE you probably know it).

It includes both versions. An off the deck version first, THEN the change with the deck still in your hand, which is in no way different (in my opinion).

So all in all, I HIGHLY recommend the Revolver change. The angles actually aren't that bad. If you are good with covering the secret sleight mentioned IN the 1-on-1, you shouldn't have a problem with the concealment of the move. It's a beautiful change, and every motion looks the exact same. Since it is also spinning, there are great presentations for this, and it looks more impossible because it MOVES as the change happens.

I hope this response has pushed you to purchase the Revolver Change, because it is an absolutely fantastic color change to add to your repertoire. Kelvin has performed this on stage with people sitting to his left, center, and right. No one caught it and everyone was stunned. That can tell you in a nutshell how good angles are on the thing.

-Casey

Jun 10, 2010
I was planning to get the revolver change anyhow (out of curiousity and a willing dedication), and I used the wrong choice of words. Only was a mistake, I'm a bit of a beginner/intermediate mix..

bentley

Elite Member
Nov 23, 2007
I was planning to get the revolver change anyhow (out of curiousity and a willing dedication), and I used the wrong choice of words. Only was a mistake, I'm a bit of a beginner/intermediate mix..

VCR is great once you learn what angles are bad and good. Gorilla change is also great. Since you said Revolver it is great as well but more knacky. If you are deciding between the three none would be a bad decision. I perform VCR all the time now that I have the angles down smooth.

Jun 10, 2010
Revolver , in my opinion , while a good color change , is more of a flourish than a color change like the Classic Color Change.

That's why Andrei states it's basically an all-in-one, and that's why it can be adapted to a "multitude of styles". I'm thinking of getting the Gorilla change though, since I'm somewhat experienced with the bertram change.

JD

Jul 5, 2009
Longview, Texas
I won't lie, when I bought VCR change i was furious at the angles. My brain didn't react to over the shoulder camera shots in the preview. I now don't buy things like that. It's not like you can go, HEY spectator, come stand behind me and look over my shoulder. I do not recommend VCR. Nothing against Apollo but I don't like that change.

Jun 10, 2010
I won't lie, when I bought VCR change i was furious at the angles. My brain didn't react to over the shoulder camera shots in the preview. I now don't buy things like that. It's not like you can go, HEY spectator, come stand behind me and look over my shoulder. I do not recommend VCR. Nothing against Apollo but I don't like that change.

Revolver change actually seems pretty angle sensitive to me to, atleast since I'm not completely familiar. and I once heard that the main 3 angles that will work for the VCR change were the ones shown during the change in the advertisement video for it..

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
The Revolver change isn't horribly angel sensitive. With a minor change in handling I could do it for nearly 180 degrees in front me, the 'bad' spot being only directly to my left or right, depending on with which hand I'm executing the 'move.'

Jun 10, 2010
The Revolver change isn't horribly angel sensitive. With a minor change in handling I could do it for nearly 180 degrees in front me, the 'bad' spot being only directly to my left or right, depending on with which hand I'm executing the 'move.'

Thanks. Has anyone ever performed the gorilla change live? If so, could you give me a few ideas about how the angles are?

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
:p

All you've got to do is arrange it so they end up facing each other and you'll never have to worry about them. (/obscure reference)

bentley

Elite Member
Nov 23, 2007

I was too but after some playing with it I now use it all the time publically. It's a great color change when you actually do it. Some changes have a time and place to perform them and others all the time. VCR is a time and place but I have stretched it's limits and got away with it.

May 19, 2010
Thanks. Has anyone ever performed the gorilla change live? If so, could you give me a few ideas about how the angles are?

The angles are actually really good. You are watching the change happen from your spectators point of view so you can easily compensate. As long as they're not stand too much to the left or right you're in the clear.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results