Got crush! First look.

Dec 13, 2007
North Hollywood
ok so I did get my copy today and abseloutly loveit, i figured something close to the gimmick method before hand so i was not too surprised, i will be using this to "crush" minds haha. i wil giveit a test run on the weekend, the gimmicked version requires a one time set up, that I personally do not mind, but seeing it gets hot in Los ANgeles I will most likely be doing the Un gimmicked versionmore, which i have found a few ways to ALWAYS be able to do it, as long as youhave a bottle handy.

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
If it is more along the lines of healed and sealed, then that's not so bad. Hanging with friends, do the setup and wait for the right time. That's not bad at all. Impractical? not the right word. I'm practical would be if the setup needed some weird chemical that was difficult to obtain, or it needed to be performed 2-5 minutes after setup. Then that would be impractical. But by every description I have read, (even with one version not being instantly repeatable) it still sounds extremely practical. Impromptu, with a only few seconds to setup it might as well be. Practical? Absolutely. Should someone be crushing bottle after bottle? If in a working setting (restaurant or busking) then perhaps. But at a party with friends, at school, or at work - definitely not. Hope that encourages you with the purchase. ;)

Sean.Cinco

Elite Member
Sep 2, 2007
Orlando, FL
www.seancinco.com
Now exile that's impractical so is riot.

Have you ever actually performed eXile for someone? I've performed it many times without having any problems. Give it a shot. You might surprise yourself with how good it really is.

Anyway, I received the package and watched the DVD late last night. I have to agree with the OP that I only got one of the things that Eric said we would get four of, but it's not a big deal since they're easy to make. Anyway, the gimmicked version is exactly what I expected it to be, but the ungimmicked version is definitely worth more than what you're paying for. You just need 20 seconds to set up and you'll be good for up to 30 minutes depending on your environment, which is quite an ideal setup if you ask me.

j.bayme

ceo / theory11
Team member
Jul 23, 2007
New York City
Have you ever actually performed eXile for someone? I've performed it many times without having any problems. Give it a shot. You might surprise yourself with how good it really is.

Anyway, I received the package and watched the DVD late last night. I have to agree with the OP that I only got one of the things that Eric said we would get four of, but it's not a big deal since they're easy to make. Anyway, the gimmicked version is exactly what I expected it to be, but the ungimmicked version is definitely worth more than what you're paying for. You just need 20 seconds to set up and you'll be good for up to 30 minutes depending on your environment, which is quite an ideal setup if you ask me.

Sean, glad you dig it! Yes, as mentioned in my previous post, if that "one" thing ever breaks or needs replacement, indefinitely, just shoot us a line and we will send a replacement on the house, free, shipping included, no questions asked.

Aug 31, 2007
Lacey,Washington
I did get a call from Jonathan, I walked out the Deli and pulled out my phone and took a sip of Sobe which I then spit out on the ground when I heard J.B's voice in my voicemail.

I pm'ed him to note him about the "several" and he came up with a great replacement idea and he showed great care about my situation. Him calling me personally about the product is something I've never before seen. Great customer service here.

Anyway for those who have recieved Crush and are dissapointed, please don't be. This is a goldmine, it's 100 percent practical. The ungimmicked version is easier than you think.

There is a line to draw on what is practical and what is not.

You have so many situations you can use the ungimmicked and gimmicked methods for.

Give this effect some thought guys :D

I know I'm going to have a killer time performing this.

_____

I've been spending literally hundreds of dollars on effects that just don't fly and the one that finally hits me as practical and useabhle in the real world is crush.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, so I received Crush yesterday, practiced it throughout the day, and decided to take it to school, with both the gimmicked and non-gimmicked version in mind.

Gimmicked Version

So, there have been a couple of groans about the gimmick, and what sort of environment it was suitable for. I comfortably wore it throughout my entire day and used it around 4-6 times. This gimmick is in no way hard to manage, very easily and well concealed, and required no setup besides putting it on before I left for school. For those complaining about only being able to borrow certain kinds of bottles, I performed with a few bottles of varying size, shape, and color and suffered no suspicion about it with the gimmick. J.B. sent me a very helpful PM about ways to slightly modify the gimmick, although it is unnecessary, only boils down to personal preference. And, modifying the gimmick to that personal preference can be done in 10 seconds out of sight. Final word - very practical and useful gimmick, although it may not seem it at first glance.

As for the method, it was among the safest possible methods ever. It's practically sleightless, and the misdirection for the moves (despite the fact that the move could probably be performed without misdirection) is flawless, motivated, and other nice words. There are about 2 moves that you will have to do that I put no effort into misdirection (as it practically did it itself) and came under no suspicion and received stellar reactions.

Clean up is equally simple. There's not much I can say about it - the clean up happens with totally motivated actions that will capture all the spectators' attentions and you're left clean.

The gimmicked version of the effect could be adapted to nearly any sort of environment. The only precautionary advice I could give is that it might not be great for a 1 on 1 situation in a small closet. Other than that, you're pretty good.

Ungimmicked

I laughed my ass off when I learned this. It's the simplest thing and in a way I already knew it, I just never put 2 and 2 together. It's great.

No, you can't borrow a bottle for this one, it has to be you're own. While I can't see this coming under any suspicion, as there isn't much to be done to a clear plastic bottle, to make it seem more "random." I took some advice I received from J.B. and planted the bottle around the room and and would state I needed to use a bottle, look around, spot it, and casually walk over and say "this one's fine". I asked around if it belonged to anyone, as no one had seen me plant it, and after a few head-shakes and shrugs I "decided" to use it. Couldn't be easier.

The set-up can be done in thirty seconds, easily done and I had the majority up the class period to wait and perform it. The time limit, I'd say, would be around 20-30 minutes.

Depending on your conditions, the crush for this will vary. Sometimes, it's not as dramatic as the gimmicked Crush, although it frequently was or came close, but this small factor is canceled out by the fact that you don't have to touch the bottle, it can be in a spectator's hands (with the tiniest bit of audience management) or on a table. As for the varying degree of the "crush", no one cares. You're crushing a bottle with your mind, no one will ask "Can't you do it a little more?".

Conclusion

Both methods are fantastic. I've got no preference over either way and perform both equally. This is from the point of view of a 17-year old who has never ventured outside of card tricks before this. This is the simplest and most effective trick ever, you will not come under suspicion unless you try to. Definitely glad to have purchased this and is definitely something I'll perform every day. This blows peoples' minds.

Apr 22, 2009
Man! I ordered mine on a friday, and it says that it's delivered in 4-7 business days, so it probably didn't ship it till yesterday. I'm getting anxious to get this trick!

Seems like there's a little controversy on the trick here. I hope I'll like it. I think I'll definitely use it though.

Won't find out till I get it though!

Jul 25, 2008
australia
i do have one question
i just ordered 2 days ago
why people only got one of the things when the dvd say we would get four?
is everyone the same?or was it just an accident?

j.bayme

ceo / theory11
Team member
Jul 23, 2007
New York City
i do have one question
i just ordered 2 days ago
why people only got one of the things when the dvd say we would get four?
is everyone the same?or was it just an accident?

This was a mistake, but it will in no way affect your performance. If the "thing" in reference ever breaks or needs replacement, we will replace it on the house, shipping included. One should be enough to last you years, though.

Sep 1, 2007
Edmonton, Canada

The effect (eXile) is great I have performed it. It's just rather impractical (the set up). I mean if you know when and where you're going to perform it, it's great.

j.bayme

ceo / theory11
Team member
Jul 23, 2007
New York City
sooooo.

anyone else want to admit that they don't know the difference between "practical" and "impromtu"?

Practical is a subjective term. Impromptu is an objective term. We use a very strict definition of impromptu - which is why we don't describe Crush as impromptu by any means. By dictionary definition, impromptu means "done without previous preparation." If you're asked to make a toast at a wedding and have nothing prepared, then your remarks could fairly be described as impromptu. In magic, I would define it as much the same. If you can grab any deck of cards (or other object) and immediately do the trick without preparing or setting anything up beforehand, it's impromptu. Some examples? Sinful by Wayne Houchin, Jacob's Ladder by Daniel Garcia, Believe by Joel Paschall, Pressure by DG + DW.

Practical is a subjective term in that what one person sees as practical, another person may think not. In high school, I used to perform Healed and Sealed almost every week. I would run to the restroom, set it up, and do it all the time. The setup took about 2 minutes for me to complete. Reactions were crazy. This was a practical effect for me. For other people, they could complain that you have to set up every single time you perform it, it doesn't reset instantly, and you ruin a can. I would call those people crazy, but to each his own. For me, it was a winner.

Crush includes two methods in an effort to be as practical as possible for as many people as possible. For those that perform in a controlled environment where use of a gimmick would be possible, you have that method at your disposal. For those that perform - like me when I was in high school - in a more off-the-cuff, less prepared environment, there is the no gimmick method. The result is that you can perform this effect in a variety of scenarios. It is, however, not impromptu.

All magic effects have limitations. Unless you're a miracle worker, every effect you ever buy or learn or perform will have its limits. The key is to find those effects that are practical for the environments you regularly perform at, whether that is at school, at work, at parties, on stage, on television, or on the street. For me, Crush is a winner in that department.

Sep 1, 2007
All magic effects have limitations. Unless you're a miracle worker, every effect you ever buy or learn or perform will have its limits. The key is to find those effects that are practical for the environments you regularly perform at, whether that is at school, at work, at parties, on stage, on television, or on the street. For me, Crush is a winner in that department.

I would like to quote this for the absolute gem of truth that lies in this bit. It would save everyone a lot of time, effort, money and tears if they took to heart what JB just said. Look around yourself, discover who you are as a performer, and pick effects that you-can-do. If it's not impromptu, and you don't do paid gigs, then don't do it. Don't buy the raven or gecko, and wear Ultra Smoke 2000, some gimmicks don't work together either.

It would save a whole lot of complaining had people actually took time to dedicate themselves to the art and performance side of magic.

Nice quote JB. But you have to be careful about attacking people who write bad reviews about T11's products, you're starting to tread into that water from time to time, just a heads up bro.

Jan 16, 2008
Nice quote JB. But you have to be careful about attacking people who write bad reviews about T11's products, you're starting to tread into that water from time to time, just a heads up bro.

I'm pretty sure j.bayme just wants to clear up any incorrect information or otherwise assumed ones. To call it attack would be a dramatic overstatement; I would call it customer service. Post-purchase.

Sep 1, 2007
I'm pretty sure j.bayme just wants to clear up any incorrect information or otherwise assumed ones. To call it attack would be a dramatic overstatement; I would call it customer service. Post-purchase.

You know I thought about it, but then I've been on here long enough to see him post only in the threads that aren't going well about the products, and taking the semi-negative reviews and breaking them down to argue against every point the person attempts to make. It's ironic that your "dramatic overstatement" statement was a dramatic overstatement. His tone in the writing approaches being dogmatic and almost shuns the original post.

You'll see the original poster sometimes gets defensive about his review because he feels a bit attacked. It's not what you say, it's what people think you mean.

j.bayme

ceo / theory11
Team member
Jul 23, 2007
New York City
You know I thought about it, but then I've been on here long enough to see him post only in the threads that aren't going well about the products, and taking the semi-negative reviews and breaking them down to argue against every point the person attempts to make.

I "only post" in threads that are negative about the products? Huh? Say what? Maple Syrup? Seriously though, that is not factually correct. Click on my username. Hit the "find posts by" button. And then notice that the vast majority of my posts are always positive, sincere, and upbeat. A few examples? One of these should do - and those are all within the past week.

I do chime in on occasion when people have questions, concerns - I personally called two members this week to make sure issues were resolved. And I will never hesitate to defend an artist or product I believe has creative merit. But at the end of the day, my opinions are just that. You are free to disagree. To each his own. But I don't think it's fair or judicious to the 1,262 posts I have in this forum to say that I "only post" in those scenarios. That's simply not true.

Aug 31, 2007
Lacey,Washington
I've read every post from J.B. in this thread. All his replies have been helpful and informative. I'm not kissing any asses here either. Some people in this thread were jumping to the conclusion that Crush was impractical. Which I'm sure the people that are actually performing or have seen Crush in performance/production would scoff at the idea (Daniel Madison + Dan White to name a few).

J.B. is a person who is really standing behind this product and putting full force into answering questions. Not just answering questions but he is also giving vital information to people who are jumping the gun saying that the $30 that they spent on this effect went to waste.

A good example of this would be post #16.

++++++++++

I would also like to give a few pointers to the trick itself.

I timed myself making the gimmick. While watching the DVD this took me 5 minutes and 37 seconds.

The setup isn't hard. And you don't need to be an arts and craftsy person to setup this.

I drove to a local bus station just to test drive this effect and...and yes it works. The presentation is all left to you. I am trying to advance my magic and make magic more memorable for spectators so I went into a borrowed Monk presentation.

Gimmick has been comfortable for the few hours I've had it with me.

I brought my own bottle, I could have borrowed one.

I am a amateur magician, I am no professional

For $30 this is a steal. You get everything you need other than 2 household items and you are set. This is going to be a closer whenever I want to do walk-around magic or I'm out with friends.

Impractical is out of the question.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2007
I "only post" in threads that are negative about the products? Huh? Say what? Maple Syrup? Seriously though, that is not factually correct. Click on my username. Hit the "find posts by" button. And then notice that the vast majority of my posts are always positive, sincere, and upbeat. A few examples? One of these should do - and those are all within the past week.

I do chime in on occasion when people have questions, concerns - I personally called two members this week to make sure issues were resolved. And I will never hesitate to defend an artist or product I believe has creative merit. But at the end of the day, my opinions are just that. You are free to disagree. To each his own. But I don't think it's fair or judicious to the 1,262 posts I have in this forum to say that I "only post" in those scenarios. That's simply not true.

disagree on which? that you're opinions are just opinions? I didn't mean to put into question that your customer service was less than satisfactory, you have a great website here.

And I apologize if you thought I was being literal when I said every post you made was in a negative review. That would indeed be an unfiar statement

What I did mean by it was you tend to be more "in depth" with your comments on negative reviews, breaking them down into sections and trying to tear each sentence apart. Whilst in positive reviews you seem more lax. This isn't something you can really blame anyone for seeing as how it's human nature, if someone sees it your way you'll be less critical, and I understand that. I just wanted to let you be aware that the people you're "correcting" are feeling some sort of attack against them at times. Telling you that it's blatant isn't what's implied here, what I'm saying is that you've neared the line a few times and I know it was against your intention to do so, I was merely letting you know.

No need to focus on one sentence and attack me. ;)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results