Gotta make a routine.

Ok, so I got distortion and 6 guardians last night (But I have 5 cause my brother took one.).

My dad bet me $50 I couldn't come up with a 20 minute routine, and said that if I can make a routine 20 minutes long of tricks I don't mess up he'll give me $50.

Now I know I know 20 minutes of material, I just don't routine it into 20 minutes, I do it for like 5 minutes.

I think he means for like a party having a routine to do for kids or something.

So I need you guys to help me make a routine that will take around 20 minutes.
I really want the $50 to get panic and digital dissolve, so please help!

We'll start with what I own, as a part of the routine.

• The trilogy
  • J Bobos
  • Silver dream (Which needs work, but I can use some of the material)
  • Real secrets of magic Vol 1
  • The encyclopedia of card tricks
  • Royal Road to card magic (DVD)
  • 5 decks of guardians
  • Distortion
  • Justin Millers "HUH" lecture notes and the other ones
  • I'll soon be getting time and space, and Hindsight, by Justin Miller
  • The reserve (dvd)
  • two thumbtips
  • Some rope
  • Self tying shoelaces
  • 1 sheet of flash paper
  • the book 101 tricks with a TT
  • and some half dollars

Ok, so I gotta fit stuff from that into this 20 minute routine, what'd you guys recommend? I own more, I just gotta find it all.

Thanks,
Evan

EDIT: I know a Si Stebbins stack very well.

EDIT: I also own IMPACT by Michael Paul

Last edited by a moderator:
Any effect with a Si Stebbins stack, Ghost by David Stone, Uhh, Why can't I name tricks off the top of my head? I'm decently handy with a deck of cards in general, I can do subway off the trilogy, and I can do Self Tying shoelaces, Distortion, Keyed up from Justin Miller's notes, I'll add more as I think of it.
But also, what stuff of those SHOULD I become very good at?

Thanks,
Evan

Sep 1, 2007
UK
Hmmm you have a fair bit of material but what effects can you perform well out of all that stuff?

What you could do with is a poker deal lol as you can make it last a good 15mins+ (if it's good... not just the basic deal as taught by Luke Jermay etc and even that could asily last a good 7 mins or so if not more).
It all depends on your presentation.

When are you hoping to have a 20 min routine by?

Maybe you could do a mentalism effect utilising a card force and have the presentation make it into a powerful effect...

After some mentalism etc (I know your list doesn't include any but just some car forces are enough with the right presentation) you could then go into Distortion with the whole card they thought they saw is really the one in there hand etc

In between you could do the odd little thing like STS etc, but it might be a bit out of place with what im suggesting

If you can give some info on what effects you feel comfortable with I think we'll be able to be of more help

wpt1031

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Toledo Ohio
Well it depends on entirely what you like obviously but anywhoo. That is a mighty nice list you have there lets see hmmmm? Well if you stick with just cards for example I'd say end off the routine with Distortion. Theres no point in using the big guns right away. I'd say use the STS during the middle so and leave them untied the entire time hoping your dad would say something. Honestly I think maybe opening up with Ghost might be a good idea.

So far lets see

Ghost (Opener)
STS
Distortion (finisher)

Of course i'll be honest i'm not to familiar with the Si Stebbins stack. So hopefully I gave you some type of idea to start you off with.

Sep 1, 2007
You're not going to get anything useable out of this thread. I could give you a whole bunch of 20 minute routines based on your list, but they'd be the kind of routines that I do, based on my skills, preferences and intended audience.

Just start working through some of your favourite effects, see what flows well into what. As an example of this:

I usually open with a strong, standalone card effect. The Famous Colour Changing Cards is my preferred opener and lasts about 5 minutes. Another opener I like for platform work is my poker presentation for the biddle trick.

I have a "cheating at cards set": (not in order) 3 card monte, Lorayne Poker Deal (killer and EASY!), poker presentation of biddle, quadruple co-incidence deck, 4 aces triumph, cut em high and tie (Malone). In theory, this will routine into my teleporting coin effect when its done, if it turns out to be any good.

I like to do what I call my "time travel" set; I think it helps the specatators to appreciate a bunch of card tricks if they are put into a meaningful context. I talk about the weird and wonderful nature of time and use triumph (from a specatator shuffled deck) as an illustration of this phenomenon. Following this I use John Guastaferro's "Here There and Everywhere", presented as a "time anomaly", which also produces the aces. These are "lost" into the deck (yeah, right...) and I finish up with John's "Jazz Fusion" (masterful card magic, FYI) - to round up the time travel set. It makes a great closer in this instance, because not only do the selected 4 of a kind make small jumps back in time seemingly at will, but it turns out that you jumped even further back - to the aces again!

I'm currently working on Wesley James' Hyper Warp, which would be great after this set, is self contained, very different and ends with a souveneer. I may be ready to try this by the end of the month.

Everything works within the same context, sets everything else up and hangs together very nicely. I usually change directions between card sets to rope and ring, finger ring magic or crazy man's handcuffs. If I didn't finish with a card set, I would bring them back to finish with a strong, standalone card effect, for example the UMD or my bastardised version of the anniversary waltz.

For tablehopping/strolling I have a bunch of self contained card effects that don't really require a table - sandwichy stuff, Jay Sankey's version of Chicago Opener, multiple selection routine for 2 or 3 cards etc. etc. These I don't worry about routining. I've also got a fairly large repertoire of card effects that I like to play with, so I've always got something set by for a rainy day :)

Hopefully, taking a look through someone else's ideas on routining will help you to come up with whatever works well for you. There's nothing on that list that I haven't been working with EXTENSIVELY for MONTHS - and that's what will stop you screwing up! "End the routine with Distortion"...only if you've been practising it for a few weeks...oh, no wait, that's not possible...so do yourself a favour, and give it time to settle in.

Have fun!
David

do some stand up stuff you can really streach that out. here what i would do in no particular order but you might wanna bing it all together for a routine

cups and balls ( vernon or ammar routine is good stand up)
misers dream ( you can keep it going a while ) check out chris capehart for a easy handling

i see you got the rip off of the switch book, there should be somthing on there, i do a greg wilson trick foriegn affair ( if you talk it up you can get this to last and built nice suspense)

with the coins do something like long gone silver (totally out of control )
im likign cylinder and coins but it don;t soun like you got the stuff for it

i could keep going but maybe you got some ideas =)

i open stand up with jon allens silent treatment ( if you can get it )

do some stand up stuff you can really streach that out. here what i would do in no particular order but you might wanna bing it all together for a routine

cups and balls ( vernon or ammar routine is good stand up)
misers dream ( you can keep it going a while ) check out chris capehart for a easy handling

i see you got the rip off of the switch book, there should be somthing on there, i do a greg wilson trick foriegn affair ( if you talk it up you can get this to last and built nice suspense)

with the coins do something like long gone silver (totally out of control )
im likign cylinder and coins but it don;t soun like you got the stuff for it

i could keep going but maybe you got some ideas =)

i open stand up with jon allens silent treatment ( if you can get it )

What? What's a rip off?

And thanks for the help, I could still use some suggestions though.
Right now I'm thinking grab a svengali deck somewhere and make it cheating themed, with how to cheat at cards and all.
Distortion is gonna be the closer I believe, with some other effects. With all the stuff I got right now it oughta take 7-12 minutes, so I need another 13-8. Right now I'm looking at the trilogy blackjack production.

Thanks,
Evan

Sep 4, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Well, since you are good with cards, card tricks aren't always short little miracles. Do an ACR that could last for like 5 min. Most cards tricks also could last for like at least 1 min, so about 10-15 card tricks and you're set!

Figure out what from your list that you can do PERFECTLY. What I mean by perfectly is this:

You should be able to do everything in the routine without one thought to the mechanics.

Then, work on your presentation. Your stories and scripts are going to be key for this. Entertain them, and the time will go by faster than you can imagine. However, the actual effects will have to come from yourself.

J.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results