Grasshopper effect/wouldn't mind some constructive crit...

Jun 10, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
This is Jeff Goldeneye, a little something I came up with while playing with Paul Harris' Grasshopper. Basically, a card teleportation. No words as I'm pretty proud of the presentation I've got for it and would prefer to keep it under wraps right now, haha.

All advice/criticism welcomed!

[video=youtube;ajjMWGmo_jU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajjMWGmo_jU[/video]

Cheers!

Lafferty

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Pretty sweet effect, I like the idea.

A few things to note:
You sped up when doing Marlo's CC, you were slow up until then and then sped up while you brought your wrist down. Just make it one smooth speed, if you're presentation has a line there it will draw peoples attention away more than you'll ever need.

There was a bit of fumbling after you out-jogged the card, is this something you're working on eliminating or is there patter there that would excuse/cover it?

I think anything else I saw was either due to the fact that I'm a magician or the camera angle (which wasn't the most forgiving for these sleights).

Overall I like the variation, very open and visual.

Jun 10, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
Cheers!

Yeah, for the CC, I was aware of the fact that I was at a bad angle, and so overcompensated when attempting to cover it. The fumbling after the jog is covered in presentation yes, the line is 'Take into account, it doesn't matter whereabouts your card is, as I'm leaving it hanging out of the deck, and it won't leave your sight'. The steal/load is executed under cover of a casual spread to illustrate that point, and then I immediately sandwich the outjogged card inbetween the fist set of aces.

I think i'm going to refilm it, perhaps from a more spectator-like angle (ie- not immediately in front of the deck, haha).

Lafferty

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Cheers!

Yeah, for the CC, I was aware of the fact that I was at a bad angle, and so overcompensated when attempting to cover it. The fumbling after the jog is covered in presentation yes, the line is 'Take into account, it doesn't matter whereabouts your card is, as I'm leaving it hanging out of the deck, and it won't leave your sight'. The steal/load is executed under cover of a casual spread to illustrate that point, and then I immediately sandwich the outjogged card inbetween the fist set of aces.

Awesome, it seems like a worker, do you do anything before or after? Ace production to one transposition...is there another phase in the works? or do you have a trick to follow it?
Just curious, it seems a bit lacking...well maybe, watching a trick without any presentation always seems to be lacking (unless it's designed to be a silent act).
I think i'm going to refilm it, perhaps from a more spectator-like angle (ie- not immediately in front of the deck, haha).

Lafferty

Can't wait to see it, maybe make up a new presentation just for the video (as not to expose the one you use) so we can see a bit of style added in.

Jun 10, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
I don't do too much real world performance anymore, I devolved to amateur status around a year ago, ha, and I imagine that's why it seems a little lacking. But yes, I do still try to frame my stuff, even when just doing stuff casually. When I refilm (Probably be up by the end of the week), i'll throw a little flavour in, for sure. I really appreciate your critique/advice!

Lafferty

Nov 15, 2009
Im a big sticklier for getting breaks and double lifts that being said,
@0:29ish while you place the ACEspectatorscardACE packet into the deck, why not do a PC since your in dealors grip anyways? it would make your pickup of the red aces sooo much smoother.

work on your rhythem, you know the moves, the sleights, after the first steal the hard part is allll done, let it flloooooooooow

Jun 10, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
Good advice dude thanks! I'll give it a go. That was the moment I was least happy with actually, I wish filming a quick clip of a trick worked the same way performing for a human does, haha. I'm going to refilm this week after playing with the various advic I've been given, see what I can do :)

Lafferty

Sep 20, 2009
Work on 'Finesse' in handling.. some things seemed quite 'Stiff' and 'Awkward'.

The Control does need some work.. maybe the angle but you could see the 'switch' and then the control..

A Pinky count would be far superior then getting a break with your thumb in the back..

also the 'Vanish' and 'Reveal' was quite obvious..

with some tweaking and 'Finesse' it would be much better

Jun 10, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
OK, thanks, but anything new to add? I've already discussed these points.

As for the vanish and reveal being obvious... If that were true, then surely no amount of finesse would help... I don't think they're obvious subterfuges... countless performances for spectators,and not one complaint... I dunno. I just don't think they're obvious. The vanish could be, but when combined with the visual sandwich in the other hand, it works. Either way, neither are my techniques, and I use them both frequently, as do a lot of my magic friends, in various different effects... I guess we all need to finesse it.

Cheers.

Lafferty

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
The handling looked a little awaked throughout.

Why did you take the 'KOH" out of the deck just to put it back in.

One thing that I would personally try out in the real world is working on the timing and the moments of magic. In your effect the card disappears and reappears at the same time, thus giving the spectators one moment. I would personally try to give it a half beat between the disappearance and the reappearance as especially in your method the shaking of the hands is to cover the work and both at the same time is confusing.

I know it is a movie however in 'The Prestige' in Hugh Jackman's Transported Man the first one not the Tesla inspired version. The theatrics are perfect. He opens the door throws the hat in the open, opens the other door and catches it. It is a test condition type of effect just two door frames for the audience to see, but it needs the separation of the moments to create wonder.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results