Gravity Half Pass

Jul 13, 2008
Buffalo,Ny
Hey fellow card workers,
Earlier this week I began to start studying The Paper Engine by Aaron Fisher and I am currently stuck on the gravity half pass. I understand that it is a difficult sleight and I am already prepared to put a ton of effort into such a good move. I believe I have most of it down in a mechanical sense (though it seems like its not much gravity and more movement). The real trouble I am having is with the angles and the point of view of the spectator(s). If I just perform the move in front of the mirror, I can clearly see my left hand doing the motions. Am I supposed to tilt my hand down so the spectator in front can just see the back of the deck? Any suggestions and pointers would be greatly appreciated, especially on angles and such.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
If it's too much movement and not enough gravity, then you're not doing it right - most of the motion should be gravity. The only movement that should actually occur is the left arm rotating slightly, and the right palm putting downward pressure, that's it.

You shouldn't need to worry too much about angles if they're in front of you. Since you're seeing movement in the mirror, though:

a) Your right fingers should be hanging over the deck, and that should be enough to block the motion. If you want further cover, especially whilst practicing, you can tilt the deck down slightly - but I wouldn't push it too far. You don't want to make it one of those moves you can only perform when the spectator is right above you - and it's not one of those moves.

b) If you see finger motion from the side of the deck - you're moving your fingers too much. Relax your arm, rotate it from the arm, and let gravity do the rest. Your right palm should be in place to catch it.

1st of all let me inform you that the style that Aaron teaches in the book is out dated. Aaron him self don't even perform the sleight like he describe in the book anymore, due to the evolution of the trick.

the new version is instead of your first finger is curled on top of the deck, now you extend it to the front of the deck. So, you have the thumb on the back of the deck and the other 4 fingers are in the front. This create more grip and more cover.

Here is the example that Aaron put up on youtube so you know how it supposed to look like.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaASil0tl3g

Aug 20, 2008
Sauquoit New York
the grip on his video is the same as the book im pretty sure. if you look at the illustrations, the grip has the same amount of cover.

also, gravity is the workhorse of this sleight. like mentioned before, the only motions that should be visible, should be slight rotation of the thumb, and the squaring up action of bringing the deck to the other hand's fingertips and squaring up.

this move does take time, and those familiar with the original half pass using the all 'round square up move, will have to re-train their hands to get this. ( i learned this when i tried to teach this to one of my friends who has been performing professionally for 20 years). breaking the all around square up action is a tough habit to break but it is important. i felt the book left this aspect out.

Jul 13, 2008
Buffalo,Ny
Thanks for all of the replies. As far as the left hand goes, doesn't it have to move though so the cards being reversed can clear the right hand (cover cards). Once it has room, then gravity takes over right? Also is the left first finger supposed to stay in contact with the right (second finger I believe) the whole time? In the book Aaron says it is supposed too. But if you also look at the pictures in the book, I can tell that his first finger of the left hand is moving with the lower portion instead of staying stationary and in contact. Just a little confusing to me.

Should I just upload a video on vimeo and password protect it, so you guys can visually see my issues?

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
The book says curl the finger, the video does not have the finger curled. I noticed that when I saw those videos. Not curling the finger is far better for me.

JBrock, you just need to practice. Gravity will do all the work once you get the correct hand position down. Read the description, watch that video shinichikudo992000 posted, and practice.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Thanks for all of the replies. As far as the left hand goes, doesn't it have to move though so the cards being reversed can clear the right hand (cover cards). Once it has room, then gravity takes over right? Also is the left first finger supposed to stay in contact with the right (second finger I believe) the whole time? In the book Aaron says it is supposed too. But if you also look at the pictures in the book, I can tell that his first finger of the left hand is moving with the lower portion instead of staying stationary and in contact. Just a little confusing to me.

Should I just upload a video on vimeo and password protect it, so you guys can visually see my issues?

It sounds like the main problem is your left hand. Yes - it should move, but not by much. The cards DO need to clear the cover card(s). But, to do this, the only movement on the left is this: Your entire left arm should rotate slightly inward (i.e. don't rotate from the wrist, use your entire arm, and only slightly). This should be enough to allow gravity to do the rest.

If you put your hands together, as if you were holding the deck ready for the GHP, BUT, without actually having a deck in your hand, you can go through the motions for yourself. If you rotate your left arm, the left second, third and fourth fingers rotate downwards, so that the left hand is now perpendicular to the right (which doesn't move). At the same time, you'll find that you can get into this position whilst maintaining contact with your left first finger with the right fingers - the left hand has literally just pivoted towards the floor 90 degrees like a hinge.

Oct 18, 2017
Hi, I'm a little bit confused about the handling of the move, here is why :

I read the description in "Paper Engine" and tryed it, but then I found this : http://www.aaronfishermagic.com/half-pass-card-techniques/
It's from 2016 and there is a LOT of differences in handling compare to the original description...
The video description says : "For many of you, this short video will be the ‘missing link’ that will make YOUR Gravity Half Pass into the ultimate tool."

And there is also the "Pathways training" with lesson 8 about GHP (https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/3727) but it's 50 $ !

So my question is : How to have all the details (up to date) to do the GHP, because just owning "Paper Engine" is not sufficient, indeed Aaron Fisher himself changed (a lot of) his handling of the move.
So what do I need ? Is this "update" video sufficient ? (see video in http://www.aaronfishermagic.com/half-pass-card-techniques/)

Thanks for your help !

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results