Guardians: The Second Review

The Dark Angel

forum moderator / t11
Sep 1, 2007
Denver, Colorado
So, I will be doing this review a little differently than most reviews, I will do it in two parts. The first will be my "Initial" thoughts, likes, dislikes, etc. etc. Then, in 2 weeks, I will post my "Final Thoughts" part of the review, since I don't want my review to be biased (like my review for the first edition was)
So, I do not think that any member here at Theory 11 needs to read the official SPAM on the Guardians, but I'll make you do it anyways.

The official spam:

It has arrived. A deck whose design itself stems from the foundation of Bicycle's classic Rider Back design, only rejuvenated in a more redefined, intricate, industrial, modern design. This is what the classic Bicycle Angels look like. On steroids. Never before has a deck of this quality and level of intricacy been produced. Never before has this much attention to detail been manifested through a pack of playing cards.

The Feel:
Wow. When Theory 11 released the first edition of this, I think that many people (myself included) were disappointed by the feel. It was rough, they clumped together, humidity destroyed them. The list was quiet extensive. Well, 2 months later, the Second Edition was released, and before I even opened the cellophane I spent 5 minutes fanning, spreading, and just playing with the First Editions. Then I opened the Second Editions. And... Well, to be honest, they feel like a regular deck of Bikes. No better, no worse. They were maybe a little bit less smooth than your average deck of Bikes, but I honestly couldn't feel a real difference.

Initial Thoughts: Well, certainly an improvement, as the first batch was atrocious as far as feel goes. But it makes me think: They finally release their newest and greatest, but its about the same as the deck of cards that I can buy at Sam's Club? 8/10
Final Thoughts: These cards certainly are an improvement compared to the first edition of Guardians, however, they are nice and smooth, almost as smooth as a regular deck of Rider Backs, but not that smooth. I'm not a flourisher, and I'm not into XCM, so I can't say how well these are for said purposes, but for your average trick, you'll be able to ribbon spread, thumb-fan, and Le Paul-Spread just as fine as you would with your regular deck of bikes. There is still some very slight clumping, but nowhere near as bad as before.
8/10

The Handle:
Well, since they feel better, I think that they handle better, but I still think that they handle about the same as your average deck of Bikes.
9/10
Final Thoughts: Nothing really changed in this section, except for one move: I find it much more difficult to perform the Duck Change, aka, the Superflip. The decks that I've been using have a natural downward curve, and just don't perform this move well for me. If this isn't the case for some of you, then please, let me know so that I know that it isn't just me.

The Look:
The only aesthetic difference between the First and Second Edition Guardians is that they have made the back of the cards a darker shade of black, making it look sharper, and less faded.

If you would like my first review on the looks, I will provide a link to my first review at the end of this post.

Initial Thoughts: Ooooh, these look so amazing. Like the first series, but much better!
10/10
Final Thoughts: No change, still look amazing.

Well, these decks are a whole lot better than the First Edition, the feel is much better than it was, and they redesigned the back so that it looks sharper, giving the back a richer detail. The biggest issue (the feel/roughness.clumping) was resolved, however these cards, in my opinion, feel the same as a regular deck of Bicycle Rider Backs. It is slightly disappointing that even with their hardest effort put into these cards, they can only produce an average feeling deck of cards.
Would I recommend these cards to somebody? Yes. Would I buy a brick of them? No. If I'm going to buy a brick of cards, its going to be so that I can have a bulk supply of cards that I can sign, tear, scorch and mistreat the heck out of. With these cards, I would buy maybe 3 or 4, these cards are just too special to be mistreated, and honestly, I don't want to pay that much for an average-feeling deck of cards, even if they are hands down, the most bad-ass deck of cards that I own.

Q: What is the difference in the box?
A: Look really close, I'm sure you'll find it.

Initial Thoughts:: MUCH better look and feel than the First Edition, I am in mad love with these cards now. However, I was left wanting more out of all the hype that they received.
Final Thoughts: I was hoping that over time these cards would handle better than they initially had, however that's not the case. I like the way that these handle, they're very smooth, and sleek. However, they're only on par with your regular deck of Bikes.
Buy these cards, especially if you have had to deal with the first editions, they are like a breath of fresh, spring air.
9/10

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2007
San Francisco, CA
So, I will be doing this review a little differently than most reviews, I will do it in two parts. The first will be my "Initial" thoughts, likes, dislikes, etc. etc. Then, in 2 weeks, I will post my "Final Thoughts" part of the review, since I don't want my review to be biased (like my review for the first edition was)
So, I do not think that any member here at Theory 11 needs to read the official SPAM on the Guardians, but I'll make you do it anyways.

The official spam:

The Feel:
Wow. When Theory 11 released the first edition of this, I think that many people (myself included) were disappointed by the feel. It was rough, they clumped together, humidity destroyed them. The list was quiet extensive. Well, 2 months later, the Second Edition was released, and before I even opened the cellophane I spent 5 minutes fanning, spreading, and just playing with the First Editions. Then I opened the Second Editions. And... Well, to be honest, they feel like a regular deck of Bikes. No better, no worse. They were maybe a little bit less smooth than your average deck of Bikes, but I honestly couldn't feel a real difference.

Initial Thoughts: Well, certainly an improvement, as the first batch was atrocious as far as feel goes. But it makes me think: They finally release their newest and greatest, but its about the same as the deck of cards that I can buy at Sam's Club? 8/10

The Handle:
Well, since they feel better, I think that they handle better, but I still think that they handle about the same as your average deck of Bikes.
9/10

The Look:
The only aesthetic difference between the First and Second Edition Guardians is that they have made the back of the cards a darker shade of black, making it look sharper, and less faded.

If you would like my first review on the looks, I will provide a link to my first review at the end of this post.

Initial Thoughts Ooooh, these look so amazing. Like the first series, but much better!
10/10

Well, these decks are a whole lot better than the First Edition, the feel is much better than it was, and they redesigned the back so that it looks sharper, giving the back a richer detail. The biggest issue (the feel/roughness.clumping) was resolved, however these cards, in my opinion, feel the same as a regular deck of Bicycle Rider Backs. It is slightly disappointing that even with their hardest effort put into these cards, they can only produce an average feeling deck of cards.
Would I recommend these cards to somebody? Yes. Would I buy a brick of them? No. If I'm going to buy a brick of cards, its going to be so that I can have a bulk supply of cards that I can sign, tear, scorch and mistreat the heck out of. With these cards, I would buy maybe 3 or 4, these cards are just too special to be mistreated, and honestly, I don't want to pay that much for an average-feeling deck of cards, even if they are hands down, the most bad-ass deck of cards that I own.

Initial Thoughts: MUCH better look and feel than the First Edition, I am in mad love with these cards now. However, I was left wanting more out of all the hype that they received.
Buy these cards, especially if you have had to deal with the first editions, they are like a breath of fresh, mountain air.
9/10
Great review Dark Angel! I have a deck of these coming in sometime soon, so I'll post a review as well. As good as normal bikes you say? Hmmm, I like normal bikes.

//David.Misner::

The Dark Angel

forum moderator / t11
Sep 1, 2007
Denver, Colorado
Thanks guys! Yes, to me they feel like normal bikes, but they look alot better. But I don't think that they use the same stock, as I can easily tell the difference between the two. Maybe the same finish?

KatieKenner

that girl who posts videos sometimes / t11
Sep 1, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
www.myspace.com
The 2nd Edition Guardians are actually on a totally different stock and the finish is in fact COMPLETELY different.

The T11 folk worked their tails off directly alongside the R&D of the USPCC for about two weeks going through 17 different prototypes. We worked closer with them on the second editions more than anyone has worked with them before.

We could have probably come up with a cool new name for the finish (SmoothONE1? SlickySmoothy47?). Anyway... The truth of the matter is that while finish is NEW, all finishes are variations of one another and we couldn't think of any cool names in time.

Plus, I have had a deck before they were released and they STILL feel good. They are durable. Trust me, I always have a deck in my hand.

Katie Egleston

The Dark Angel

forum moderator / t11
Sep 1, 2007
Denver, Colorado
Really? Wow, thats awesome! I still like their feel, but again, it feels almost like a regular deck...
Time well tell; we'll see what my final thoughts of them are later on!

Oct 29, 2007
The T11 folk worked their tails off directly alongside the R&D of the USPCC for about two weeks going through 17 different prototypes. We worked closer with them on the second editions more than anyone has worked with them before...

About the linked picture: I saw a box with a M&Ms picture on it. Anyone notice that?

Sep 1, 2007
I think these cards do have a unique feel to them. I really like these 2nd editions and the finish for fanning is just "different" feeling, I was actually able to pressure fan without powder using these cards.

I prefer these cards to regular bikes :D

EDIT

there is only one thing that sucks about these cards and that is their cut, the ability to faro them is diminished from the first edition guardians. they were directionally (traditionally) cut so they faro easier from the bottom-up than the top up. I like cards that faro equally well both ways... perhaps there is just a different knack to be learned faro'ing these cards though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 10, 2007
how can you tell the diffrence between the 1st + 2nd edition guardians
without opening them...mine have been mixed up and i cannot notice any diffrence on the box.....help.

thank you.
john.

Sep 2, 2007
There is a "TINY, minute difference on the box that will allow you to distinguish the 2nd Edition from the first."

The difference is tiny and minute, so it may not be that obvious. Analyze all the faces of the box -- I'm sure that the difference is there, though, at first, it may not be apparent.

Cheers,
JTM

Sep 10, 2007
o.k there seems to be a problem with just answering a question with a precise answer..... i dont get it....why the secrecy ,
is this how the forum's are to run in the future.. buy a product want to know something about it come here and start the paper-chase,

if anybody else has a problem noticing the diffrence between the 1st + 2nd editions, one slight diffrence on the box is that the 1st edition's have a longer "tail" to the top of the numbers 11 ( The 11 in the yellow circle next to the bar code)

hope it help's it's the best i can find,
john.

The Dark Angel

forum moderator / t11
Sep 1, 2007
Denver, Colorado
I would suspect that the reason for the foggy answers was:
I honestly haven't looked for the differences.
As far as I know, Jack doesn't have the new Guardians yet, however he still quoted J. Bayme, hoping to provide an answer.

Sep 2, 2007
o.k there seems to be a problem with just answering a question with a precise answer..... i dont get it....why the secrecy ,
is this how the forum's are to run in the future.. buy a product want to know something about it come here and start the paper-chase,
I don't have the 2nd Edition Guardians -- as The Dark Angel stated -- and, as a result, I could not pinpoint the exact differences in the box of 2nd Edition from that of the 1st.

I knew that there is a difference, and so I tried to help. I was not trying to be secret, or lead to a wild goose chase.

Cheers,
JTM

Sep 10, 2007
I don't have the 2nd Edition Guardians -- as The Dark Angel stated -- and, as a result, I could not pinpoint the exact differences in the box of 2nd Edition from that of the 1st.

I knew that there is a difference, and so I tried to help. I was not trying to be secret, or lead to a wild goose chase.

Cheers,
JTM

Hey,

Did not mean to offend, just that in both post they stated that they did not know themselves, and if I knew they were just letting me know the situation as they understood then great I would of said thanks for letting me know. Just that I noticed you were a moderator so thought you would know. Anyway seems to be a small difference on the pack, apologies all round.

Great cards; let's move on...

John

Sep 26, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
I ordered Several packs. Opened the first pack, and within about 10 minuts of just simple handling (fans, cuts, farros, etc...) they became warped. Like the cross diagnol bent warped (if you put one card, or the whole deck on a table, only two opposite corners touch the table). It isnt humid right now, my hands arent wet, and I know how to handle a deck of cards.

I opened a 2nd pack hoping it was just the first pack, and it happened again. Anyone else getting this problem?

Sep 1, 2007
almost all cards pick up a natural bend to them just by handling . for example if you're doing pressure fans it will develop a particular bend. if you're doig enough faros and cuts it should mix up the deck sufficiently to not be too bad of a problem... I would say get a porper clip or a card press or if that fails, stack a crapload of books and a fat lady on top of your cards, they should be fine after that

The Dark Angel

forum moderator / t11
Sep 1, 2007
Denver, Colorado
Hey guys! I've added my "Final thoughts" in each section of the review! I hope you like it, if anybody has any questions about them, then feel free to PM me!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results