Hand Health

Oct 26, 2008
RGV TX
I'm very new to magic and have been practicing a couple of basic cuts to get started. I coundn't help but notice how much strain many of the moves put on the hands.

My question is for those of you who have been doing this kind of card work over many years, on a day to day basis.

Have you experiened any damage to the joints, or tendons in the hands, or pain in the hands when not working with the cards?

I've never really felt any pain but, at times my hands do get very stiff.

When doing magic moves I've never really felt pain except when practicing the Clipshift where I got some blisters on my middle finger. Doing flourishing my joints have felt a bit of pain but, not that often.

I would say, if your feeling an amount of pain that you're uncomfortable with then common sense would be to stop. Don't strain yourself more than you need to, over time it will become a lot easier with practice, like anything you do.

-RA69

Oct 26, 2008
RGV TX
I havent felt any pain.
It's just the long term effects that Im curious about.

I've heared it brought up in several of the tutorial videos that I find on youtube that the move will cause strain on the hands. It's nothing unbearable, the fact that it was braught up by people who clearly do this quite a bit got me thinking about the possible long term effects.

I havent felt any pain.
It's just the long term effects that Im curious about.

I've heared it brought up in several of the tutorial videos that I find on youtube that the move will cause strain on the hands. It's nothing unbearable, the fact that it was braught up by people who clearly do this quite a bit got me thinking about the possible long term effects.

I'm pretty sure they meant only strain on the hands for the time being, or the first few times you try it. If you try learning the Revolution Cut I know my hands were feeling rather strained after the first few tries, and an hour or 2 after.

I've been doing card magic and cardistry for around a year and a half now and I've never noticed any pain or discomfort, long-term, because of it.

-RA69

Jul 14, 2008
Yes, I began to have strains when I first started cardistry/flourishing, so I did the finger excerises from the Trilogy by Dan and Dave Buck in order to get started. Maybe you should do it when doing magic. It will be useful in the long run.

Dec 22, 2007
You might have strain during some difficult sleights or cuts.

My fingers ached like crazy the first few weeks i was practicing clipshift.

And for some reason, when i was practicing a trick, my left wrist started aching for no reason. wtf?

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results