Happy Halloween!

May 8, 2008
Cumbria, UK
Given that I happen to be up and about at the uncouth hours of the early morn, I thought I'd take the opportunity to be the first to wish you all a very happy Halloween. Hope it's the best yet for you all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 20, 2008
Austin, TX area
To anyone else - my apologies.

I spent a lot of time on a forum actually based in Australia. People from all over the world visit regularly - and even pay for the privilege of posting there. We have spent the last few weeks comparing and contrasting different concepts of Halloween, Samhain, and this wonderful full Holiday in a peaceful, fun celebration.

I have been learning a lot, too, such as how "Devil's Night" in Detroit has analogues as "Mischief Night" in other parts of the world.

Open discussion based on joy for ourselves and our differences will always win out over spewing bile, and I'm sorry for the bit I just spewed so publicly. I refuse to regret it, as private means of dealing with this have proven useless.

j.bayme

ceo / theory11
Team member
Jul 23, 2007
New York City
Felt the need to step in here and remind everyone that this is a forum that requires respectful, professional discourse to participate. I removed a few posts earlier in this thread as I found them disrespectful to some of our members and unnecessary topics for a magic forum. This forum is made up of members of all ages, ability levels, and countries. Please keep that in mind when posting.

Halloween is a HAPPY holiday! Let's keep it that way. To everyone out there celebrating tonight, have fun and be safe! Wishing everyone an exciting evening - bust out some magic and freak out some trick or treaters!

PS - After you finish trick or treating, check out the media section tonight at 11:00pm EST for a sneak peek at something special...

Oct 20, 2008
Austin, TX area
My apologies again to everyone who witnessed and/or was a part of the fiasco earlier. I want to try to put this on a happy note.

It was me and the 2 year old tonight. The six year old was at home sick with his mom. We did the trick or treat thing for about an hour and a half -- I had to talk HIM into giving up when he started getting tired and falling down. We had a wonderful time, though.

It was well past dark at this point - no light except the street lights and what came from the houses. I set up and performed outside of the house. Despite having my attache case full of tricks, I only performed two effects back and forth.

Rope through neck: 1 Rope. Abbott's Encyclopedia of Rope Magic.

Cups and Balls. This was a quick three phase routine and a little heavy on the sleights. No "potatoes" or large final loads. The only problem I had was resetting everything.

I would look up and the entire block was barren of trick-or-treaters. They were all in a semi-circle around my table.

Rope through was a blast. I had the rope set up around my shoulders to get into it again when an SUV came creeping by. The kid in the passenger window was staring at me, so I quickly went into it. As the rope shot through the neck, I gave him the thumbs up with both hands and a huge smile. The look of shock on his face was priceless.

I had the devil costume going on, too. (Link to image)

The next part is very important

I also want to now thank everyone at this forum who ever took part in a "when things go wrong" thread. Hecklers, screwing up the trick. I had a couple of the first and only one of the second. The advice I had here to keep cool, keep smiling and keep entertaining set me back on my feet before the crowds knew what hit them. Likewise, I kept up the show with "how did you do that," leaving people smiling as they went in search of more candy.

My sincere appreciation to this forum for their advice. :)

I hope everyone is having a great day, no matter what they choose to call it.

-Andrew

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results