Hard-Hitting Effects

Nov 18, 2008
CA
i no longer go for such effects but effects could include stigmata

Well what kind of effects are you going for? Just because card magic can require sleight of hand doesn't mean it's bad.

Practice your magic, don't just buy it.
(not bashing Stigmata in anyway)

Jul 16, 2008
i like to make a more ellgent performace then just hitting them once with one effect infact this has changed my hole performace and i learning all new effects

Jan 5, 2008
Oklahoma
I've been using the muscle pass in a few routines as of late. People freak out, they just don't see that type of thing on tv shows or in stage acts so it takes them by surprise and really gets some great reactions. I've watched a couple of different dvd's on how to do it, but I think Noblezada's muscle pass dvd at penguin is the best value, I do the anti gravity coin and coin through bottle everyday. It kills! John Born also has some really cool applications for the muscle pass you might want to look into.

Oh yeah, I just got the whole card part, Have you checked out Clutch by Oz Pearlman, it's impromptu and flipping awesome. You'll be doing it in a few minutes, as there is no sleight of hand at all.

Zack

Oct 17, 2007
Easy to master magic series by michael ammar offers some of the easiest but really great impromptu tricks.. :) michael's teaching style is one of the best too!.. :)

Oct 11, 2007
I would suggest the ambitious card becuase there are so many good jumps, switches, and moves that it's easy to create a smooth and hard hitting routine if you have the moves down and in a good sequence. Suspense and the right presentation with any trick can make it look great. Just practice one or two impromtu effects enough and figure out the right presentation for them, after that you'll be golden.

Oct 25, 2008
Norway
Ambitious Card Routine (Don't know) - Classic in magic. Great reactions from the crowd. But don't do to many of them. I think 3-5 times to the top is enough.

The Biddle Trick (by Biddle) - Easy, simple, visual and hard-hitting!

Any 2 Card Monte (Don't know)- there are a lot of different versions out there. Very hard-hitting!

Dr. Daleys Last trick (Dr. Daley) - simple, clean and effective. Great reactions from people!

Clutch (by Oz Pearlman) - this one gets reactions! Not that hard to do, involves the spectator - great effect!

4,5,6-packet trick (Sal Piacente) - this one kills! You'll need a table, but it's very impromptu and the spectator does all the work! The secret is impossible to reveal and when you find the spectators card it just blows them away!

The Trick That Can't Be Explained (Dai Vernon) - this ones freaks magicians out! It's totally impromptu! It's best done at a table, but can also be done in the hands.

Invisible Palms (Paul Harris) - What can I say? It looks like real magic, it's impromptu and it's hard-hitting! Table required.

I've Should Have Done It Myself (performed by Bill Malone, creator unknown) - Try it and you'll gonna love it! Fred Kaps himself used to do this! Impromptu, requires table.

My Favorite Opener (Bill Malone) - great opener and Bill Malone's favorite opening trick. This is great when people ask you "do a trick". Impromptu, done in the spectators hands. Very hard-hitting!

Triumph - Great reactions. Impossible effect to a lay audience. Recommends Ed Marlo's lightning triumph. Can be found on Bill Malone's Here I Go Again dvds (vol 1 I think). Table required.

Openly Triumph (Benjamin Earl) - Great variation on the triumph effect. I thinks it takes the triumph effect to a new level. Recommended. Table required.

Emerge Triumphant (Oz Pearlman) - Another great variation on the triumph effect, which can be done in the hands! This version requires a set-up, but you can easily change it to an impromptu effect. No table required.

Card Opener (James Brown) - Great great great effect! Very impromptu and very hard-hitting.

Card under box (James Brown) - Read above!

Can't think of any more tricks now, but there are many more! Try anyone of these, you won't regret!

Some other great resources to check out:

Michael Ammar's Easy To Master Card Miracles vol. 1-9

Bill Malone's On The Loose vol. 1-3

Benjamin Earl Past Midnight vol. 1-3

James Brown - Still Fancy A Pot Of Jam?

Dan & Dave - The Trilogy

Hope this helps! :)

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
I'm going to keep posting this in every single thread of this type I find.

I posted this before, and it's always the same.

Here's an idea. Look for them yourself, find the ones that work for yourself, and make them "hard hitting"! In all honestly, looking for the shortcut by asking for "best of" effects isn't gonna do you any favours, and 95% of the time will not get you the most hard-hitting effects you can perform. That's right, asking for good tricks will actually, the majority of the time, get you tricks that, when performed by you, will be second rate and extremely common. So you'll be performing the same old stuff and probably not as well as you could be.

Rather than ask "Where can I find the best effect", ask "Where can I find effects (possibly of x plot or from x magician)", go out, look through everything, and find what works for you. You want average material, ask for "good" DVDs. And if you're satisfied with decent, go ahead. Some people are happy with being decent, and that's fine. But if you want to be better than that, with the best material and the highest possible impact? You'll have to work harder than that.

The main reason for this is that the strongest effect in my arsenal, in all honestly, would probably not work at all for you. This is due to many reasons - personality, presentation, and just the effect in general. Many, many people for example list Stigmata as their strongest effect, and many people buy it. You wanna know the truth, 95% of people's presentation of Stigmata is ****. Stigmata could be so, so much more. I'd bet my money that half the people who've said Stigmata in this thread can't present it to save their lives, and could easily improve their own performances. But no, they rely on the effect, rather than relying on themselves as a performer, and this separates the chaff from the wheat.

If you really want strong effects, you need to tell us what you're interested in, specifically, a plot or an author. Then you need to go look at everything by that author or on that plot, and decide what works for you, use that knowledge to mix the effects together, and base a presentation on what appeals to you, not what appeals to us. My favourite effect happens to be Zamiel's Rose, and yet I barely know anyone who has the personality to pull it off, so I never suggest it, it would be a travesty, the epitome of ruining magic. I mean what do you want me to say - follow your instructions exactly, and give you an effect that won't suit you and you won't be able to make the most of? I'd rather say this, the truth.

This is not to say we (or I) don't want to help. This is to say, rather, that it should be the right help, if you really want the best magic.

Go buy a book or something, that's where the good stuff is.

EDIT:

Do I sense a disturbance in the force?

...Praetorite...

...vong...

...coming...

...closer...

Gustav

ROFLMAO.

Sep 1, 2007
Leicester, UK
www.youtube.com
Prae, please don't ever leave... You save me so much finger energy that I can be using for other things...

... Card related things. :p

- Sean

P.S. "They rely on the effect, rather than relying on themselves as a performer, and this separates the chaff from the wheat." So so so very true unfortunately. :( And I blame the sellers for part with that loved line "this gets" great reactions. *sigh*

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results