Have you guys seen this before?

Jun 27, 2013
Have you seen this before?

[video=youtube;PT8FEw8jTnw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PT8FEw8jTnw[/video]
I have 2 different methods for this but I was wondering if you guys have seen something similar

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 17, 2013
There have been a ton of effects like this before. Just have to check old rope magic books. Also hard to do a convincer like that with a lanyard since you can't really to a "pull through" BTW you might want to talk when you are doing this. I have really good speakers.

Jun 27, 2013
However, with this compared to the rope effect when you do this with a rope it has to go around the front of your neck. This effect it doesn't go on the front of your neck.

Sep 1, 2007
However, with this compared to the rope effect when you do this with a rope it has to go around the front of your neck. This effect it doesn't go on the front of your neck.

First off, that's the attitude of Wire wannabes: one cosmetic change entails a completely original effect.

Second, Sean Fields beat you to this back in about '08.

Jun 27, 2013
What are you talking about? I didn't have an attitude towards him, I was simply giving him a response. It is a different effect, its not anything close to the original method, It is not the same effect, and I said nothing about putting this on the wire. Where does Sean Fields have it published? Also PM on what you think the method I used in this video was because I think there is some confusion.

Sep 1, 2007
What are you talking about? I didn't have an attitude towards him, I was simply giving him a response. It is a different effect, its not anything close to the original method, It is not the same effect, and I said nothing about putting this on the wire.

It was an illustration, not an accusation. As far I can tell, this is just a minor variant on something I've seen before and you appeared to be defending it with, "But this one part is different, so it's a totally new effect." If that's not what you're saying, okay then.

Where does Sean Fields have it published?

It's not for sale. It was an effect he was going to publish as a bonus on the Saw DVD, but decided to remove it for liability reasons, though Sean was a bit vague of the details. The effect was to saw a necklace through his neck in a manner very similar to what you showed in the video. He called it Chain Saw.

There was a bit of a hiccup when the now-defunct Precision Magic attempted to market a version of it with Sean's name on the copy. They took it down after he complained. They went out of business a year later.

So the only person right now to contact on that front would be Sean himself. Also, slight correction: it was '06, not '08.

Apr 17, 2013
Remember not all magicians sell their effects. I have many effects I do that people asked where they could buy it. they can't and I don't plan on releasing them. I want my killer effects to be my killer effects.

I have a version I do where you pull two ropes and hand both out since it ends clean.

Jun 27, 2013
The lanyard is suppose to be resting under your collar. If you go to a convention of sorts and they give you a lanyard with a badge or something on it your not going to put in above your collar and most shirts the lanyard will fall automatically in that position.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
Remember not all magicians sell their effects. I have many effects I do that people asked where they could buy it. they can't and I don't plan on releasing them. I want my killer effects to be my killer effects.

I have a version I do where you pull two ropes and hand both out since it ends clean.

AND THIS, LADIES & GENTS, IS HOW MAGIC IS SUPPOSED TO WORK!

Thank You Krab 1 for proving that there are still people involved with magic that know how to keep a secret vs. whoring off their tricks.

Apr 17, 2013
AND THIS, LADIES & GENTS, IS HOW MAGIC IS SUPPOSED TO WORK!

Thank You Krab 1 for proving that there are still people involved with magic that know how to keep a secret vs. whoring off their tricks.

My effects are mine and mine alone. Maybe when I'm old I'll write a one man parade and give some of them that way, but until then I'll keep making money from performing them.

Deechristopher

theory11 moderator
Just to play devil's advocate...

Some people aren't great performers or don't have the want to become performers, they really love creating magic for other people to use.

Some people are great performers and love performing, but also love creating magic for other people.

Without teams of creative consultants creating magic and mentalism tricks and effects, we wouldn't have half the magic TV shows we have today.

I remember sitting in a pre-prod meeting with some of my guys when we first started work on a show a while back, the producers wanted us to create 200 tricks between us for the initial 'bible'. That's a lot of work.

That's not to say I release or sell on everything I create, some stuff isn't even shown to magicians, but it's important to understand that some people have a real knack for creating tons of magic and sometimes magic that wouldn't suit them as a performer.

An artist doesn't keep all his paintings to hang on his own wall.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results