Help Controlling Two Cards

Jun 13, 2019
Hey! I've been practicing magic for about three or four weeks now, and I've come up with a bit of a trick that I'd like to refine. I get the spectator to pick two cards (or two to pick one each) and then I control one to the top and one to the bottom, then huzzah, magic happens. The problem I'm having is that I don't have a neat way of controlling both cards to two different positions cleanly. It's by far the clunkiest part of my routine, as I'm doing two completely separate card controls one at a time. I'm able to make it work, but I want it to be better. I'm currently palming one card while I control the other to the top, then putting the palmed card on the bottom.

Does anybody have a preferred method they use to control two separate cards to to separate places in the deck which might be better than mine?

Jan 20, 2019
Use a turnover pass and put one card above the break and one below, or if you're not supposed to see their cards for the purpose of your trick you could also injog the first card and then put the second card directly above it then shuffle one to the top and the other to the bottom.

Jun 13, 2019
Cheers for that. The trick does still work if I know the cards, but I think it's more impressive if I don't. I'll try out your suggestions and see what I come up with.

Jun 13, 2019
Haha. I've been using cards for a solid 15+ years before I decided to start actually learning magic, so I'm quite familiar with how to handle them, in just learning the specific techniques.

I've just checked out that link, and I don't tend to do much dribbling naturally, but I can look at incorporating more of it. I did manage to alter it a little to make it fit more with the 'riffle-stop' (does that even have a name?) form of selecting a card, but like I say, I'll play around with the dribble. Adding extra things like that might help make the performance feel more whole rather than like I'm just doing the same thing over and over again.

Jun 13, 2019
Lol, so apparently I hadn't actually finished watching that video, I watched the initial performance of the move and then got distracted (I'm a little ill) and after finishing watching it there's a couple of things in there that are rather important that you don't quite get with a riffle, the main one being the natural breaks which make the move look much, much cleaner. I'll definitely try to get that into my performance. It looks way better than what I was doing.

Dec 1, 2013
I would keep it simple and control both to the top, which can be done one at a time using your preferred method (I would use the Subtle shift personally, but you could use a double undercut or any other method you can can think of) then use an overhand shuffle to place one and the bottom and retain one at the top to get them into the position that you want.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results